National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nope not talking about 45acp. After a 10 day tear of reloading a bunch of .223, 9mm and 45acp i finally decided to do some test rounds of 7.62x39. I grabbed 20 cases and flared the mouth of 10 and started priming. Found a small primer case in each batch of 10. This was of course after i put the flare die away and set up the seater die so i had to switch it back for one case. I never knew they made small primer cases for this round. I guess you always learn news things and some of them can be frustrating. Anyway i loaded 10 of each with 123gr jacketed bullets and 150gr cast bullets using IMR4227. I'll test them next time i go out to see if they make that bolt thingy go back and forth enough to properly function the rifle. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Speed

Keep calm & return fire!
Love shiny new cartridges.
The ones in the back look like lipstick.... deadly lipstick. 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love shiny new cartridges.
The ones in the back look like lipstick.... deadly lipstick. 馃ぃ
That's old range pick up brass that I've been collecting here and there for years. Don't have very many and I'm late to the game to find any new brass ANYWHERE!

Aim true !
One of the range pick ups for my sons 6.5 Creedmoor has a small primer pocket fed H.S. I read over on the high road. Someone ran into small primer 10mm.

Reactions: Square target

Live Free
I knew about small and large primers for .45 ACP and 6.5 Creedmoor, but had no idea about 7.62x39...but I don鈥檛 shoot or load it either.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew about small and large primers for .45 ACP and 6.5 Creedmoor, but had no idea about 7.62x39...but I don鈥檛 shoot or load it either.
If i remember right the 6.5 small primer cases are made by Hornady. I only know this because i taught a buddy of mine to reload and this was the caliber he picked to learn on. The few 7.62x39 cases i found(i didn't check them all yet) were Hornady.

So i went to my LGS today to check on powder, no luck there. Also brought the Saiga to try these rounds out. Everyone functioned fine but i did have one get jammed either on the feed ramp or the or edge of the chamber. Not sure if it was the round or just a fluke. Either way loads are good enough to work and once i figured i had to aim a tad low i was ringing a plate at 200yds with no problems on either load.
My buddy also showed up with his new pistol brace thingamabob that i talked about in another thread so i got to try that too. First impression was i didn't like it. If you shoot with a normal 2 handed grip it feels like you need to bend your forearm in an irregular way to be able to shoot it. Also at the strange angle i had a few times where i couldn't pull the trigger properly or fully to make it go bang. tried a 1 handed grip which was almost as useless. The only way i could make it work halfway decent with one had was to stand sideways and extend my arm fully to the right, even then it was quirky. I think there is really only one way to use these and have full function. He loved it but he loves anything tacticool, to me it's very unpractical but it does have a very small cool factor....not cool enough for the price and limited use though. Also it's rather bulky and is simply only a range toy but not even a good toy.
So after that fun little mess we went inside and this found it's way into my heart and i bought it. Rock Island mini 1911 .380.

Aim true !
If you don't like the trigger pull weight on your baby rock. It can be easily tweaked with adjusting the leaf spring. Mine had a 9lb pull. It's at 4.5 now. I called RIA asked why they made the pull weight heavy. Liabilty reasons was the excuse. Early models had a 3-5 lb pull. I think someone was pocket carrying and had a N.D. And sued them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't like the trigger pull weight on your baby rock. It can be easily tweaked with adjusting the leaf spring. Mine had a 9lb pull. It's at 4.5 now. I called RIA asked why they made the pull weight heavy. Liabilty reasons was the excuse. Early models had a 3-5 lb pull. I think someone was pocket carrying and had a N.D. And sued them.
Thanks I'll look into that. I did notice it was a bit stiff but no creep and breaks like glass. I have a trigger gauge so I'll see what it's at when i get home next week.

Reactions: Coalcracker

Aim true !
I worked mine down a little at a time to ensure function. I could bring it down more. But im leaving it where it's at. My one 45 1911 double taps very easy if your not paying attention. I don't want my .380 doing that because there is not as much to hold onto to keep it under control.

Live Free
If i remember right the 6.5 small primer cases are made by Hornady. I only know this because i taught a buddy of mine to reload and this was the caliber he picked to learn on. The few 7.62x39 cases i found(i didn't check them all yet) were Hornady.
View attachment 122758
So i went to my LGS today to check on powder, no luck there. Also brought the Saiga to try these rounds out. Everyone functioned fine but i did have one get jammed either on the feed ramp or the or edge of the chamber. Not sure if it was the round or just a fluke. Either way loads are good enough to work and once i figured i had to aim a tad low i was ringing a plate at 200yds with no problems on either load.
My buddy also showed up with his new pistol brace thingamabob that i talked about in another thread so i got to try that too. First impression was i didn't like it. If you shoot with a normal 2 handed grip it feels like you need to bend your forearm in an irregular way to be able to shoot it. Also at the strange angle i had a few times where i couldn't pull the trigger properly or fully to make it go bang. tried a 1 handed grip which was almost as useless. The only way i could make it work halfway decent with one had was to stand sideways and extend my arm fully to the right, even then it was quirky. I think there is really only one way to use these and have full function. He loved it but he loves anything tacticool, to me it's very unpractical but it does have a very small cool factor....not cool enough for the price and limited use though. Also it's rather bulky and is simply only a range toy but not even a good toy.
So after that fun little mess we went inside and this found it's way into my heart and i bought it. Rock Island mini 1911 .380.
View attachment 122759
Starline makes both large and small primer 6.5 too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts