National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a new project. My uncle gave me a Krag-Jorgenson Springfield M1898 Rifle for a gift. One problem, it had been sitting in his house without any maintainence. It will take considerable work and I may need a replacement bolt. Any idea where I might get one? Google did not seem to help much.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike Barham said:
Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem. ... RAG%201898

I had a Krag carbine as a teen. God, how I loved that gun - smoothest action EVER! Sadly, I had to sell it make ends meet in a lean year in my early 20s. :cry: I stupidly kept the AR15A2. :roll:
Thanks, Mike! I took a look and the critical parts are sold out so I have the site bookmarked and will check there from time to time. I plan on giving them a call when I return from vacation to check into how often these parts become available.

G

·
bat1159man said:
I now have a new project. My uncle gave me a Krag-Jorgenson Springfield M1898 Rifle for a gift. One problem, it had been sitting in his house without any maintainence. It will take considerable work and I may need a replacement bolt. Any idea where I might get one? Google did not seem to help much.
That sounds like an interesting project Mr "bat"! Probably chat 2nite bout it ;)

G

·
I had a Krag carbine as a teen. God, how I loved that gun - smoothest action EVER! Sadly, I had to sell it make ends meet in a lean year in my early 20s.
For shame! :D

I have a Krag carbine - absolutely love it! My grandfather loved Krags - when they were still fairly new - I don't remember him ever having any '03 Springfields - but - he always has a few Krags around.

You're right - probably the smoothest action ever made! If you've got a Mosin or a M44 ... their
actions feel about as smooth.

G

·

Don't know if you can see the Krag Carbine - but that fat guy (Mr. Blimpo)
was me a couple of years ago ( I've since lost weight, ladies! :roll: ), putting
her through her paces! It's got a nice sharp 1901 carouse on it! The forestock
is whittled thinner so that the shooter could feel the barrel (to know when to
slow down/stop shooting) so as to not let it heat up so much. My guess is that
it 'saw action' somewhere after 1901.

What a dream to shoot!

... I wish they could talk!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
It shot the .30-40 Krag cartridge. Sort of liked a souped-up .30-30. 220 gr round-nose bullet. Plenty of power out to 300 yds, or so.

I had one Krag in as a trade but unfortunately it had been sporterized, otherwise I'd have kept it.

G

·
Just joined the group and browsing a bit. I also own a few Krag rifles. They are a real joy to shoot and reload for. I built a shooter out of parts and went through 3 bolts before I found one to be safe. I make it a point to magnaflux the bolt lugs before shooting any new purchase. Believe it or not - I have come across a few with cracks starting at the locking lug and the bolt barrel. In all cases they were mismatched S/N's

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Hey Mr. Hangfire, glad you joined us. If you want, go onto the "New Members Introduction" forum and let everyone say "Hey" to you.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts