National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple old "knife" revolvers, made from the 19 teens into the 19 twentys.

Not many around, and of the ones I've seen all have shown considerable use.
Anybody else have one of these? Looking to fill out more data on manufacturing era and serial number ranges.

G

·
That is one of the Strangest weapons i have seen! I just askd my Dad to check it out....on the Net never seen one like it! U got a rare piece of Hardware no doubt... ;)

G

·
hi .32 magnum. i'm sittin here thinkin', i've seen that before but where? in the late 60's got a christmas gift , a book called the collecting of guns, edited by james a. sevren.page 209 there's a pic of a morrill & blair bowie knife pistol, and a morrill & blair cutlass pistol. now these both appear to be muzzel loading jobs,percussion cap, with the knife under the barrel, but one solid piece.there is nothing else in this book , even the H.R. portion that even resembles what you have. interesting stuff. have you ever heard of a morrill & blair ? you guys keep this up and your going to drag me away from my beloved shotguns!pblsyd

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pblsyd,
I've seen a couple of the old cutlass and dagger pistols at antique and collectible gunshows in my area. I didn't pay much attention to the manufacturer's names, though. Those were REAL blades that could be used with a purpose! I'm pretty sure the little 3" blades on the H&Rs wouldn't make much of an impact in a combat situation. The "accepted knowledge" on the H&R Knife guns is that only about 1000 were made and a significant fraction of those have foreign provenance - as seen on the nickel plated piece I posted, with English proofs and purveyors stamp. Seems to me the little bayonett wouldn't be worth much more than maybe for clipping off a hunk of "chew" from a plug, but then you'd run the risk of blowing your nose off if you didn't practice proper trigger finger positioning. LOL :lol:
Stick with your shotguns, there's enough handgun collectors out there already!

G

·
Elgin Cutlass pistols are a pretty cool example of an early knife pistol. They were made by C.B. Allen in Mass, and the blades made by Ames in 1837.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Now with a black powder single shot, a blade makes sense!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts