National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a videos on YouTube last nite and as YouTube does it lead me down a completely different path than where I started. I began looking at knife building. Then I see that they have knife building kits for beginners. The blade can be bought in many different sizes and styles. Handles can be had in many different woods, and synthetics and in different levels of completion. Kits from the most simple to the more complex.
I'm not a knife guy. I don’t collect them but this could be fun. I don’t have the fine bench wood working tools that would make a great shop but I could get by with what I have.

https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/knife-making-kitsblades-c-1070.html?osCsid=kq400kld5p7e1et39321u8jtd0

·
Registered
426 Posts
Knifekits is good for Kydex supplies and belt clips. Most of their products are less expensive than anywhere else.
Knife blanks and pin stock are cheaper and better quality blades at Texas Knife Supply. I buy almost all my stainless blades from Texas Knife Supply and some from Jantz, they have some in D2 steel. Damascus I get from Blank Blades. Warning: they come very sharp.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,158 Posts
I make my own from the ground up

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,158 Posts

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,158 Posts

these are some of the first ones I made, I've gotten somewhat better at it over the last couple of years but don't have pics,, all the handles are pinned I drill the tang and one scale at a time leaving enough pin into the handle to hold but not show thru the wood

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow those are some nice knives. I may give this a try. I can’t really make a blade but it would be nice to give a knife to someone if you made it with your own hands.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've dabbled in smithing my own knives. Made a heavy-duty survival knife out of spring steel, rough, but functional. I also made a few smaller knives out of some old metal files, those ones came out much better. I might get back into it, if I can find the time.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I have way too many knives. Like my guns and flashlights I have a disease. Making your own blades can be satisfying but difficult to find the right steel and then working it. Then the challenge of a good temper. I can probably make a rudimentary knife but I'm gravitating toward super steels like S30V.

Helle makes good knives and some might say they're ugly even with the pretty curly birch handle. I know David Petzal thinks highly of them he recommended one to someone looking to get a good knife. As I looked deeper I found many had good things to say about them. In the process of looking to add a Helle to my collection I found blades a lot cheaper than their finished knives. I might get one, or two, and try to fashion my own handle.

Viking blade $40
Viking finished knife $119

A significant saving. Same with the Nying blade $30 -- the finished knife $99

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,158 Posts
I'm not a very good photographer, these are a few of my last makes made from a crosscut saw blade close to 100 years old, the scabbards are hand stitched and logo is burned in with a homemade brand.. handles are made from top to bottom cherry , red oak with walnut stain, bottom two are red oak natural

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Looking good. I have had limited success with making knives. They either come out good like my Avatar, or they are a disaster. I seem to do a better job with the leather scabbards than the knives. :thumbsup:

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,158 Posts
ok.... last one.. maple handle with hickory stain... blade is from an old file I had laying around, scabbard hand stitched with buck head stamp

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,158 Posts
Looking good. I have had limited success with making knives. They either come out good like my Avatar, or they are a disaster. I seem to do a better job with the leather scabbards than the knives. :thumbsup:
here as well,, Most of my work is one day builds with whatever scrap I can find such as old saw blades, files, a couple of leaf springs from an old jeep, etc I bought some AU8 stainless but had a hell of time trying to heat treat it so haven't returned down that path.. I try and make workable and worthy knives that will hold up to the job required. As you can tell I'm no Walter Sorrells but could probably get a better looking piece if I were to take more time and try to perfect the technique.. My wife has told me repeatedly to slow down and take more time to "make em pretty" but ain't accomplished that status yet

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, way out of my league. I bought a kit from knifekits.com and forgot to order pins for the handle so I won’t be messing with it till they come in the mail. I know I’m not really building a knife but rather just fitting and installing the handle. I’ve never done it so it could be fun. I want to use some of what I’ve learned on gun stocks and make a nice handle.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Don't shortchange yourself as long as you enjoy the process or the experience that what matters.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am, or was, a cabinet maker. I use the tools I am used to using. I don't have the fancy belt sanders and stuff they use.
I have- a hand belt sander and random orbit sander from Walmart. A small 1x30 table top belt sander, a table top band saw, a table top drill press and a small trim router from Harbor Freight. Oh and a hanging dremel type grinder.
Almost everything you would find in a normal wood shop. Not a knife shop.
To get a nice rounded handle, a 1/4" or 1/8" roundover with the trim router and further smooth it with flap sanders on the dremel. Gives me a nice even round with no hot spots but enough flat to index well in the hand. Even with the thinner handles on the blanks I use. It works for me.
This is a slim handle on a group of 11 that I did for the guys I hunt with. They all liked them.

They have a kydex insert to hold the knife in the sheath that is riveted at the bottom so it doesn't come out.
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
here as well,, Most of my work is one day builds with whatever scrap I can find such as old saw blades, files, a couple of leaf springs from an old jeep, etc I bought some AU8 stainless but had a hell of time trying to heat treat it so haven't returned down that path.. I try and make workable and worthy knives that will hold up to the job required. As you can tell I'm no Walter Sorrells but could probably get a better looking piece if I were to take more time and try to perfect the technique.. My wife has told me repeatedly to slow down and take more time to "make em pretty" but ain't accomplished that status yet
That "Make them pretty..." comment reminds me of how my daughter in law wound up owning several of my rescue rifles.:lol::lol: I believe she coined the phrase "Pretty Guns!"
Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts