National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today to sight in the scope on my 30/30. I always take 2 shots to see where im hitting. At 1st i thought i was hitting 2 shots right next to the other. Then i took some shots one at a time then. Checked the target and noticed the it's keyholing. Ran a few factory loads then. Nice round holes. So that ruled out a bad bore. Then some of my loads made round holes too. Strange to me. I was shooting 158 grain coated lead. 9 grains of red dot, And 150 grain speer .308 same powder. I crimped the lead at the lube grove. Did not crimp the Speers. COL was 2.550.

·
AZHerper
3,972 Posts
Red Dot is too fast of a powder. It's cheap to be using only 9 grains per load but, in my opinion, that's the wrong powder for 30-30. Maybe some will disagree but I'd never use it. The case will hold 35 grains or so so that's only about 25 percent loading density. Way too low.

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try some unique when i load some more. I like red dot for reduced rifle loads. It works great in my 30.06 at 13 grains. And i run 7 grains in .223 too.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
what are the bullets sized?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
Do the bullets have a gas check notch at the bottom and don't have a gas check? If so i have found that bullets that are made for a gas check and not used will key hole.

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll load some of the FMJ with 4895. And for the cast i have 2400 ,blue dot red dot and unique on hand. I'll work up some cast with them less the red dot.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
Trust me! It's the Red Dot. However, I admit that I'm strongly biased. As far as I'm concerned, Red Dot and Unique are handgun powders.

Actually they are shotgun powders but many shotgun powders work great for pistol and cast bullet rifle loads. Ive used red dot, unique, 2400. 4227 and several others with cast rifle loads with no problems. They are low power/velocity loads. The only time i have experienced key holing was in some loads i tried without gas checks where the bullet was designed to use one. I have read that others don't have that problem so there might be a happy velocity where they work good that way.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
might try going to .311 size on the lead............

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes im kicking myself for giving away .311. I had some for the Mosin.

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
Unless the bore is shot the .309's should be fine....providing they are .309. Did you ever measure them?

·
AZHerper
3,972 Posts
Actually they are shotgun powders but many shotgun powders work great for pistol and cast bullet rifle loads. Ive used red dot, unique, 2400. 4227 and several others with cast rifle loads with no problems. They are low power/velocity loads. The only time i have experienced key holing was in some loads i tried without gas checks where the bullet was designed to use one. I have read that others don't have that problem so there might be a happy velocity where they work good that way.
Well if you're happy with loading densities of 25 to 40 percent that's certainly your prerogative. I won't belabor the fact that ignition varies depending up whether you raised or lowered the barrel before firing (there have been many articles on that) or that you risk double or triple charging. And yeah, they started a shotgun powders but that's totally immaterial. You just wanted to say it!

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they are .309. Some did not tumble, I checked the bore too. It didn't lead up on me. The same bullets with red dot work great in both of my 30.06 rifles. And the jacketed too. It has me confused. Federal power shock factory loaded work great. No keyholes.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I don't know that mentioning anything factual that seems superfluous is a waste of time. There are always more lookers than participators. There may be a few newbs out there that don't know they can be used for shotshells. That's how I got introduced to the dot powders. You may never hear from them and they'll never ask "Hey can I use those powders for shotshell reloading?" The more you know the better off you are.

I also preferred not to use fast burning powders for the longest time for the reasons mentioned. Bullseye seemed to be the standard when I started for target powders so I eventually tried them. I currently use Titegroup for light target loads. I don't worry about case volume but I do check carefully for double charging. I also never feel the need to pack cotton in the shell to hold the powder charge in place.

By the way there's lot of things I just want to say and mention it. If you don't think it's appropriate you can voice your opinion but with out a compelling argument don't expect much.

·
Aim true !
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be testing some loads this weekend. Probably Sunday, It's going to be in the 50's and sunny.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts