National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find these guns to be one of the better made conceal carry weapons out there. How many of these do you own, and have you ever had ANY problems?

G

·
Re: Kel-Tek weapons

Most respectfully beg to differ.

Have no Kel-Tec, however, deem Seecamps to be a far superior weapon for CCW.

I have carried one daily x last four years ...

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I did say one of the better guns.....

Im mostly going on cost and dependability. Seecamps are pretty expensive.

G

·

I have nothing positive to say about .25 or .32 for defencive handguns with the exception of fear factor.But That's Just My Thinking don't get PO at me OK.

G

·
I had a Kel-Tec PF9 that the trigger messed up on with less than 300 rounds through it (over several range sessions). The trigger would not return to battery. I took it apart and found that their is a small (and I mean very small!) cut in the connector bar that the trigger spring is supposed to ride in and that it had popped out of that. So I put it back. Did the same thing less than 20 rounds later. Sent it back to Kel-Tec and they refunded my money, plus shipping. I did some searching at the Kel-Tec owners site and this was a common problem.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
I have a Keltect 32 - I use it when I can't carry my 9mm. Its better than nothing. It has been 100% - I got it 13 months ago.

I discounted them for yeras, and they didn't have that great of a record on their handguns years ago.

But the "2nd Generations" of their handguns are much better - I finally gave them a try and am happy with mine. Now, the 9mm Keltecs are not that comfortable to shoot.

G

·
I am totally satisfied with both my P32 and P3AT. Both are extremely reliable. They are limited in usefulness by their calibers, but all concealed guns are a compromise.

Regardless of cost, I prefer them to the Seecamps since they are lighter and flatter.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Mike Barham said:
I am totally satisfied with both my P32 and P3AT. Both are extremely reliable. They are limited in usefulness by their calibers, but all concealed guns are a compromise.

Regardless of cost, I prefer them to the Seecamps since they are lighter and flatter.

I have to agree with you Mike. I have the same two carry pistols, plus the Seecamp and I end up carrying the P3AT 380 most of the time. Its so flat that it hardly prints in your pocket and the weight is so light you don't notice it.

I do intend to carry my Sig232 more often now that I got my new holster from Travis. The sig232 is a tack driver and I feel assured that I can drive a mag full in a very small hole out to 50+ feet. That should stop most threats! If it doesn't work, then my feet come into play! The Sig will be my winter carry pistol along with a lightweight Kimber 45 acp.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
OK, you guys, some guys on other forums and my customers convinced me -- I went ahead and picked up a couple of P3-ATs that I saw on another forum. I'll probably keep one and sell the other.

Damn, 11.3 Oz LOADED!?!? That's nothing! I'll load it with some Hydra-Shoks and pray a lot, I guess.

G

·
The Seecamp is a BMW, the KelTek is a Honda.
I own both, carry the Seecamp most of the time but feel just as safe with the KelTec. Over 50% of my cop friends carry the KelTec as their backup.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
That reflects what I'm hearing around here, as well, Whompuss. Several cops I've spoken with either carry a P3-AT themself, or know a colleague who does. BMW vs. Honda, that sounds reasonable.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
My dad has had no problems with his p3at. He doesn't shoot a lot but it still seems like a reliable pistol. I am not sure if the Ruger LCP is worth the extra money over the Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I bought two of the P4ATs for my wife and I.
They are the 2nd generation.
After cleaning and lubing when they arrived I went out with 3 types of ammo.
Within 50-75 rounds they were both jamming so I took them home and cleaned them again.
I went back out and tried it again.
Again within just a few rounds they were jamming again. The problem with both was the same as they were failing to eject. I understand many don't feed right after the ejection but that was not my problem with either gun. The failure rate on on gun was around 15%!
I talked to Kel-Tec over the phone and gave it one more try and a few more rounds.
At around 150 rounds total or so the one gun stopped failing to eject and I have not had a problem with it since.
The second seemed to be getting worse so off to the factory it went. About 8 weeks later it came back. It still had some minor problems failing to eject. I went out and ran another 50-75 rounds though it and it too is now very reliable.
We keep them loaded with Corbon and they shoot just great.
Note that Kel-Tec tells you in the manual that these guns need breaking in and to fire them.
No it won't replace my S7W 629-5 in .44 mag but in the summer I can drop that P3AT in my short pocket here in AZ and you will never know that I am carrying. And that's without a pocket holster of any kind.
And note that loaded with 7 rounds of Corbon the gun is a full 2lbs and 4 oz. lighter than my 629. Just what my warm summers needed here in AZ.

·
Politically Incorrect
183 Posts
The Seecamp is a BMW, the KelTek is a Honda.
I own both, carry the Seecamp most of the time but feel just as safe with the KelTec. Over 50% of my cop friends carry the KelTec as their backup.
I went with the "Acura", made by the same company as the Honda, but feels a bit more refined...:biggrin5:

I would love to get a Seecamp, though. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Have a Kel-Tec .380, love it, easy to conceal, and fun to shoot. I was quite surprised at the 'snap' recoil. I have fairly large hands for a female, but had a great time learning how to hold it so it didn't jump out of my hands.
Haven't fired a Sea-Camp, so I can't give a comparison.

G

·
I have a keltec 9 mm that I carried in a bellyband across my vest as a backup when i worked the street. I liked the gun. Other than I chnged the spring out for one with a ligher pull. It's never given me any problems. For concealed carry it's hard to beat.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have had mine over a year now and fire it about once a month. Just to stay tuned up with it and it does a fine job. Here's what I carry the most.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts