National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the PF-9 is cheaper. I have never owned either brand.
I was thinking about a P3AT but reliability seems to be an issue at times.
So I thought I would upgrade to a 9mm.
I note that in this case the height is about the same on both but the PM9 is shorter than the PF-9 by about a 1/2" or so.
Is the Kahr PM9 worth the extra money over the Kel-Tec PF-9.
In my area I have not seen either gun yet. I drove up the road to Tucson and found neither one there.

On edit, I just looked really close at the PM9's dimensions. I took these figures from the Kahr website~

O/A length 5.3"
Height 4"
Width .9"

Really?? I have to go with what they say. But in looking in front of me I have an NNA mini revolver that my kids bought me. I kept looking at it. It's the little .22LR model. I did put optional bigger factory grips on it but otherwise it's just a small gun.
So I measured it.

O/A length is 5.4"
Height is 3.5"
Width is 1.2"

That tells me that overall the Kahr PM9 is smaller in size that my mini revolver?? Hard to believe. :(
I have got to find one of these to look at.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That tells me that overall the Kahr PM9 is smaller in size that my mini revolver?? Hard to believe.
The actual measured slide width of my KT PF9, by my micrometer is .834". Of course, I have not calibrated the thing in quite a while, but it has to be close.

Last I heard, Kahr continues to have what seems to be intractable problems with their entire line of polymer framed pistols.

Kel-Tek, on the other hand, has learned from the experience of the P3AT and has had their R&D people listen in on the chatter over at KTOG.
The PF9 is now into it's third or fourth generation, but you heard very little fanfare over it. That's because the people over at KTOG, some of them technicians, machinists, and engineers in their own right, have been giving KT excellent technical reports and advice on remades, which KT has quietly digested. The latest generation, and possibly the final, addressed a problem wherein, the ejector pin would drift toward the hammer, under recoil. KT redesigned the frame and fixed the guns that were sent into them for that problem. I know, because mine just came back last Friday with a new frame, which legally, means it's a brand new gun!!
Of course, having a new receiver means that I now have to break it in again. I'm in the process of doing that now. :i:

Kahr continues to insist that there is nothing wrong with their product!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took at that into account and tried the small 9 and 40 again today.
I just cannot stand that extra weight and bounced back to the P3AT by Kel-Tec and bought two of them for the wife and I.
Just over 11 Oz loaded it hard to beat for a pocket .380!
Here's a link to it if you have not seen one~and the PF-9 in 9 mm is not much bigger or heavier.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3at.html

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
keninaz said:
I just cannot stand that extra weight and bounced back to the P3AT by Kel-Tec and bought two of them for the wife and I.
Here's a link to it if you have not seen one~and the PF-9 in 9 mm is not much bigger or heavier.

You made a good choice. Its a defensive pistol not one to carry to a gunfight and it will protect you just fine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
keninaz said:

Just as I suspected, the little critter DOES look a mite familiar!!! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts