National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wowsa.

I just got off the phone with the president of the company that I could potentially be working for. I really want to work for this company -- I used it for the subject of about six term papers in my MBA studies. After bantering back and forth about who was going to throw out the first number for compensation, I finally said, "Look. This is a family business. I'll start off by treating you like family. I need $________ to cover my bills each month and put a small amount of savings into the bank. If I do a great job, you should increase my compensation appropriately, but I need at least $_______ per month. If you can make that fly, I'll start whenever you want. If you can't make that, we'll part as friends. I'm not going to negotiate here because that's not how a family treats each other."

He was really impressed with how I approached it... it is a company of ten entire people who have all worked together for years, so they treat each other like family. The "new" guy has been there only eleven years. He told me that my number sounded like it was in the ballpark of what he was considering, and he'd let me know tomorrow. We also talked about benefits, an ownership position, etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here. I do have another firm very interested in me, but I don't know them from Adam. I was also up-front about that and went as far as to tell him that I have one number for him which is lower than the number that I give to other companies, which is the God's-honest truth. I said my number is non-negotiable because anything below that number means a change in lifestyle, of which I am unwilling to accept. Again, he seemed cool with that.

So, I think I'll have my answer tomorrow. Like I said, I've got my fingers crossed and I'm saying my prayers. Anyone who wants to join in and say some prayers for me, they'd be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
jeff/spanielsells

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
spanielsells said:
........ Anyone who wants to join in and say some prayers for me, they'd be tremendously appreciated.

You got it!!

Good luck, and I sincerely hope you get what you're hoping for, and more! ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I hope you get the job. It sounds like you made a very smart move with your offer. That impresses folks when they see you want the job and want a chance to prove yourself. That's a great way to deal with a small family company. Give me a chance and I will show you what I can do for your company, then pay me what I am worth after you watch me perform. Good tactic!

Good Luck!

Remember, you have to knock on a lot of doors to sell a Kirby vacuum cleaner. Maybe 100 to sell one! Point, don't get discouraged, if this one doesn't work out just keep sending out resumes and a good job will come home to roost.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
SheNine said:
spanielsells said:
........ Anyone who wants to join in and say some prayers for me, they'd be tremendously appreciated.

You got it!!

Good luck, and I sincerely hope you get what you're hoping for, and more! ;)
YEP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VERY COOL!

There's nothing like getting the job that you've been watching out for/wanting!

Best of luck friend!

We're all pulling for you!

.... and of course "DRINKS ARE ON THE HOUSE WHEN YOU GET IT, EH?
:i: :-B-: :i:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Hell, YEAH!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sig232 said:
I hope you get the job. It sounds like you made a very smart move with your offer. That impresses folks when they see you want the job and want a chance to prove yourself. That's a great way to deal with a small family company. Give me a chance and I will show you what I can do for your company, then pay me what I am worth after you watch me perform. Good tactic!

Good Luck!

Remember, you have to knock on a lot of doors to sell a Kirby vacuum cleaner. Maybe 100 to sell one! Point, don't get discouraged, if this one doesn't work out just keep sending out resumes and a good job will come home to roost.
Thanks. This would actually be the ideal job. I know the owner and his family, I've known them for years. They are actually interested in putting me at six-figures as quickly as possible, but while they're training me, both they and I don't think that would be appropriate, hence the performance bonuses along with my base pay. The owner actually cares about his employees and as such, limits the amount of time the employees are away from home (you travel quite a bit, but you're never gone for more than 10 days at a time).

The owner is really excited about my writing capabilities, and wants to utilize me to continually update any written material, both hard-copy and on the web. I've always stated that my dream job would involve utilizing my writing skills.

Moreover, part of this would involve an ownership position. What makes this particularly attractive is that it gives added incentive to my success -- if I do great, it will only help my bottom line. I am also not one to hop around and go from company to company. I spent 15 years at my last employer, leaving only to go back to school. The owner and I are on the same page -- he's not looking to train someone and then have them move elsewhere, he would want me to be there long-term. With an ownership stake in the company, it will further encourage me to stick around.

So, as you can imagine, this would be a win-win situation for all involved. Right now it is 2:15am -- I've had about two hours of sleep because I can't shut off my brain -- I'm hoping I'm not in for disappointment and am trying to remain positive... I know I should be thinking along those lines.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welllll...I dmn sure do NOW!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts