National Gun Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I can see it now. Marauders break into the home, the guy grabs his AR from behind the door, raises the rifle to his shoulder, OH NO, there's a dust bunny on my peep sight and I can't see, what ever shall I do? BANG! You're dead. Or, you could just blow the dust bunny off the sight and get an advantage on your adversary. This has got to be one of the stupidest conversations I've seen.
I picked up the rifle the other day to clean it, which is why I came here to ask about this, and the sights were useless. In a fairly short time it was covered. For whatever reason, it has to be wiped off. Whatever it is, it's sticky. Doing it with a finger just smears it. In a way, it makes it worse. That's why I got a little cover to put over it. It may take a second to pull that cover off but at least I can use the thing to aim with. Shooting blind can work fine with a shotgun but not so much with a rifle. I was hoping for something a little simpler since sometimes I have to fiddle with the cover I put on the sights.

So, if having a set of sights you can use and want to depend on is a stupid thing to discuss, maybe this is the wrong forum to ask on?? I might add, most of this thread isn't even about my question but about something I can't change. I'm not sure why people want me to put my pistol in or on the nightstand when I don't have a nightstand. Nice idea, accepted it as a good idea but not really what I was looking for.

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
No problem, just knocked my antennae down. Fixed it up this morning. Sure was a lot of water, but it ran OFF my roof instead of INTO my roof!

·
Jesus Saves
7,920 Posts
I picked up the rifle the other day to clean it, which is why I came here to ask about this, and the sights were useless. In a fairly short time it was covered. For whatever reason, it has to be wiped off. Whatever it is, it's sticky. Doing it with a finger just smears it. In a way, it makes it worse. That's why I got a little cover to put over it. It may take a second to pull that cover off but at least I can use the thing to aim with. Shooting blind can work fine with a shotgun but not so much with a rifle. I was hoping for something a little simpler since sometimes I have to fiddle with the cover I put on the sights.

So, if having a set of sights you can use and want to depend on is a stupid thing to discuss, maybe this is the wrong forum to ask on?? I might add, most of this thread isn't even about my question but about something I can't change. I'm not sure why people want me to put my pistol in or on the nightstand when I don't have a nightstand. Nice idea, accepted it as a good idea but not really what I was looking for.
No question is a bad question.....welcome to he forum. We have had a stream of people trolling and I guess there is a bit of hesitation in the air.

Welcome. Personally I think a cloth covering is still a fair answer......that's what I do.

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
Put a sock on it...

Alan

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No question is a bad question.....welcome to he forum. We have had a stream of people trolling and I guess there is a bit of hesitation in the air.

Welcome. Personally I think a cloth covering is still a fair answer......that's what I do.
Well, I think a pillow case came up at some point. It's a bit big tho. Then I saw Alan's post that mentioned a sock which is a good idea but I'd need a fair sized sock if I'm going to be able to remove it quickly. A sock would be a tight fit. I got to thinking, what is between those two sizes? Then it hit me. I have bed sheet sets that come in a little cloth bag looking thing. I use one to put plastic shopping bags in for later use, got to put those turnip and mustard greens in something. It's bigger than a sock but quite a bit smaller than a pillow case. I plan to buy some new sets of bed sheets soon so I'll keep one of the little bags from a old set, make rags of the sheets and stuff, and see how well that fits over my rifle. I think it is long enough to cover a good bit of it plus it is lose enough that I can remove it pretty fast. That will cover the sights pretty well. Since those bags have a draw string, I could even pull it mostly closed but still lose enough that I can pull it off easily. Also, it's cotton so it is soft and won't scratch or even wear on anything. I just hope it works.

This is why I asked the question. Sometimes with a few ideas that aren't maybe a good fit but it makes one think and leads to something that does fit well. If nothing else, it is a improvement at least.

Now I have a good excuse to buy new bed sheets. It's a gun thing. lol

·
Registered
935 Posts
Take a bath towel or beach towel and drape over so that you can grad the grip and the towel will fall away. That is what I do. Keeps the general dust off. Clean it once in a while.
And my place is pretty dusty too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Take a bath towel or beach towel and drape over so that you can grad the grip and the towel will fall away. That is what I do. Keeps the general dust off. Clean it once in a while.
And my place is pretty dusty too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Another idea to consider. Given that towels come in all sorts of sizes, I can likely find a size that fits. I'm a guy and all but I can sew a bit so I could make it into a little sock type thing if needed. Washable when needed, likely fairly lint free if dried in a dryer as well. Lots of colors too. Another great idea.

Still, I need a new set of bed sheets. May use that excuse still. :) At first anyway. lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I’m sorry but if you are using your sights at all to defend against an intruder, you’re gonna die. Learn to point and shoot.

For all other purposes, get a red dot that you can put a flip up dust cover on the lense.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’m sorry but if you are using your sights at all to defend against an intruder, you’re gonna die. Learn to point and shoot.

For all other purposes, get a red dot that you can put a flip up dust cover on the lense.
In close range, true. If further out tho, sights come into the picture. A shotgun with pellets can work even further out. It all depends on the situation tho. At one point I had a laser pointer mounted. Thing is, it can't be seen in daylight. Works good at night but also can give away my location as well.

Either way, I'd like to keep my sights clean just in case.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Please keep in mind, if they are far enough away that you need sights, unless they are shooting at you, you’re probably going to prison.

Lense covers are your friend in your situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
See my post previous post on this. While true in some situations, it is not true in all situations. Also depends on the weapon as well.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts