National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

While this may not matter much, it is sort of annoying. I have one of those ugly black guns that liberals hate. Since I live alone, it stays propped up behind my bedroom door, loaded and ready for immediate use. I live in the sticks so even if I call for help, it's gonna be a long wait. Sheriff usually takes 15 to 20 minutes. So, ugly black gun behind door, pistol under mattress within easy reach. Obviously, pistol stays clean since it is covered. However, the black rifle gets dusty. Everything pointed up gets a nice coating of it even tho I have HEPA filters blowing most all the time. I give it a wiping off every once in a while and I put a cover on the sights so I can see without needing to wipe it off first. Just remove cover and go to work.

I'm sure people with kids and all don't leave a rifle propped up behind a door like that but surely others that are single like me do. How does one keep a rifle from collecting dust? It's like the thing is a dust magnet. The only other thing that gets that dusty is my puter. It has those really large fans so it gets its fair share. I just want to keep my black rifle clean at all times if there is a way. I even thought about putting a pillow case over it but figure there may be something better than that even.

Thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
Well, there's always the old gun case or cabinet. If you're going to leave it out then I don't see much way around dusting.

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
I keep a shotgun on rubber coated hooks behind the dresser. For home defense. It gets dusted off with weekly cleaning of the house. And it gets a range trip too now and then.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If thousands of rounds of carbon buildup doesn't gum it up, I doubt dust bunnies will bother it.
Part of the problem is the sights. I have a holographic thingy on it. I keep it covered but I also have flip up sights for back up, example battery is dead. I can't shoot well with the flip up sights but it's better than surrendering.

It's hard to believe that there is that much dust with fairly large HEPA filters running. One would think it would reduce it a lot since that is their purpose and all. :) Maybe I'm stuck dusting it a lot or having to deal with the dust on it.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
first thought......put the handgun in/on the night stand instead of under the mattress.....handguns are supose to be "handy"......also remember that oil attracts dust....just something to live with if you are not going to store/case/box/cover it. If i was really worried about it..i would up the maintenance or store it with quick access.

last suggestion......a decent riot gun......no gadgets, electronics, or bulk.....just a simple bead. Riot guns have been filthy, abused, dusty, neglected, and rusty for decades......and still functioned as required....which is why they have been in leo inventories and vehicles for decades.....and still are.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you "go into battle" shooting and getting shot at, get beck tp us and let us know if the dust got in your way.
I'm not worried about a gun malfunction but more about me being able to use the sights. The inner workings is covered for the most part. Thing is, I have to be able to see through the sights. I'd rather not have anything covered but can't think of a better way. It seems no one else has any better ideas than I already had.

While I do try to keep the thing clean, I guess it is as good as it gets.

Pistol is pretty handy already. It's in about the handiest place I have without it being seen easily. No night stand since my puter desk took its spot. It's a pretty wide open desk with no drawers. It would be a good idea if I had one tho. I'd prefer it really.

Dust wins, as usual. lol

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
Use less oil and wipe the gun down once a week. Literally takes a minute to do. Also i would not keep a gun under a mattress or pillow. Keep it on the nightstand and put away when not in bed. You could also get one of those instant open biometric safes to keep it in on your nightstand and it would probably be easier and faster to access if needed.

Reactions: Russ D

·
Registered
848 Posts
"Under the mattress" ? Have you actually tried an emergency drill ?
OK, you wake up, crawl to the edge of the mattress, reach under, "OH, THERE it is!"
Then, once you have a firm grip, you pull it out, from under a mattress, which you have all your weight upon , (?)

This is actually even close to practical ? I was always left to assume that anybody who "puts the gun on the nightstand" has an awfully small bed, that the gun is within reach, from the middle of the bed, while sleeping, but UNDER the mattress, really?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Rifles that I do not use often get stored horizontally or barrel down.
Not so much for dust but for the oil coating the barrel to protect from rust in long storage from accumulating and gumming up the chamber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Use less oil and wipe the gun down once a week. Literally takes a minute to do. Also i would not keep a gun under a mattress or pillow. Keep it on the nightstand and put away when not in bed. You could also get one of those instant open biometric safes to keep it in on your nightstand and it would probably be easier and faster to access if needed.
As I mentioned in a earlier post, I don't have a nightstand to put it in. Sure it would likely be better but I can't put it in or on something that I don't have. lol Everything else in this room is open. No drawers or anything that is even slightly close to me.

"Under the mattress" ? Have you actually tried an emergency drill ?
OK, you wake up, crawl to the edge of the mattress, reach under, "OH, THERE it is!"
Then, once you have a firm grip, you pull it out, from under a mattress, which you have all your weight upon , (?)

This is actually even close to practical ? I was always left to assume that anybody who "puts the gun on the nightstand" has an awfully small bed, that the gun is within reach, from the middle of the bed, while sleeping, but UNDER the mattress, really?
There's no place else to put it. So, it is very close to practical since it is the only option there is. Oh, if needed, I can actually pull the pistol out while in bed. I tested to be sure I could. There's actually two under there.

Still, my biggest thing, trying to keep dust off my sights. I'd like the whole thing to be clean as well but it appears that isn't a option other than wiping it off pretty regular.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My close quarters in home-defense guns include a pistol with night sights on the nightstand, a 12 gauge shotgun with a bead sight, and a Colt LE6920 with carry handle and iron sights.

My self-defense carry guns are a 1911 OWB and a Sig P938 in my pocket.

The self-defense carry guns get cleaned about every two weeks or after a range trip. The home-defense guns get cleaned about every month. The other guns in the safe with a golden rod and desiccant get cleaned after a range trip or about once per year.

·
Jesus Saves
7,920 Posts
Get an oversized pillow case and put it over the gun or just a plain old sock to cover the scope/sight.

Allot of creative options. If and when the SHTF, that would be the least of my worries.

·
AZHerper
3,856 Posts
If someone breaks in and I don't have time to get a gun from the nightstand, or from under the bed, or from the closet; I figure that I'm already in a lot of trouble. If not...they're in a lot of trouble!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My CQB guns are a Sig Sauer P320 with night sights and the M1 carbine. Since I collect old military rifles, none of my rifles have optics or such. Besides, they're of little to no use in a close quarters fight. Due to the layout of the house, if I hear someone breaking in, I will have time to grab the nearest gun and take up a defensive position. where I can cover the stairway.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
I can see it now. Marauders break into the home, the guy grabs his AR from behind the door, raises the rifle to his shoulder, OH NO, there's a dust bunny on my peep sight and I can't see, what ever shall I do? BANG! You're dead. Or, you could just blow the dust bunny off the sight and get an advantage on your adversary. This has got to be one of the stupidest conversations I've seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If someone breaks in and I don't have time to get a gun from the nightstand, or from under the bed, or from the closet; I figure that I'm already in a lot of trouble. If not...they're in a lot of trouble!
Good point. I'm in the back of the house and my biggest concern is hearing someone break in. Since the doorbell quit working, people call and tell me they are in the yard. I can't hear when someone knocks. I hope I can hear a crook if they make a fair amount of noise, such as kicking in the front door, but it concerns me. I'm planning to get a beeper thingy that alerts me when someone comes on the front porch. That way I know whether they are friendly or not. Some don't know to call me instead of knocking.

That said, if I do hear them and get armed, it could get ugly. I live alone and am way out in the sticks plus I'm not a spring chicken either. If I feel threatened, it's lead slinging time. Given the dope heads and how crazy they get, I ain't taking to many chances. Let's not even get into the idiots going around destroying property and such.

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
I can see it now. Marauders break into the home, the guy grabs his AR from behind the door, raises the rifle to his shoulder, OH NO, there's a dust bunny on my peep sight and I can't see, what ever shall I do? BANG! You're dead. Or, you could just blow the dust bunny off the sight and get an advantage on your adversary. This has got to be one of the stupidest conversations I've seen.
Now that's comedy!...Not to hijack the thread how did you make out with that storm Sam?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts