National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife inherited some rifles. One is what I think is a Mauser K98. I am no gun expert here by the way and am not 100% if I am using the proper terminology. Here goes:

There is a KAR98 on the barrel.

There is also a crown image above ERFURT 1915.

My assumption is that it was manufactured in Erfurt, Germany in or about 1915.

I hear the term sporterized and assume that's what we have here. The stock looks more modern than photos I saw of another K98. I have attached a photo of the gun.

Am I on the right track? I can gladly add other photos if you are interested or need them to help with identification.

Appreciate any help!

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,972 Posts
You are on the right track.

Pictures are always welcome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to hear. Just for that, I'll added more photos once I figure out how.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,972 Posts
Your rifle began its life as a Mauser Kar98a, chambered in 8mm Mauser, manufactured in Erfurt in 1915. It was sporterized (modified to approximate a modern sporting rifle) from its original military configuration sometime in the 1950s - 1960s. In this particular case, the extent of the sporterization seem to consist of dropping the barreled action into a Fajen stock and changing the safety.

It aint new. It aint particularly pretty. It will get the job done just as well as new and pretty rifles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. That is way more information than I'd expected. Will give me somethings to research. I suspect the '50s-'60s date for its sportification (?) is based on the stock. Will look into what makes a KAR98 a vs. KAR98 and what the Fajen stock is all about. Really appreciate your help and everyone else's friendliness and willingness.

More rifles to come including Springfield Model 53-B, US Remington 03-A3 which is suspect is highly sporterized, a Browning Arms 22LR from Belgium, and possibly the world's heaviest 22LR; a Mossberg.

Be well.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your rifle looks a treat. I have a soft spot for and small collection of military spotters from the 50s and 60s that I call The Cousin Earl Collection, in reference to Bubba's older, wiser, and more skilled brother. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, LRDGCO. Agreed that it is a nice looking rifle. I may have another honorary Cousin Earl member to add; Remington 03-A3 which seems like a 50s or 60s sporter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts