National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
818 Posts
I don't remember the make and model of this particular handgun, but I once saw an old school 9mm barrel bulged from a 9mm +p load. Other than that, the only guns that I or my friends have blown up were homemade blackpowder waterpipe guns we used to make in our jr. high school days. Of course we weren't dumb though. We always test fired them first while behind a big tree. In all the cases where they blew up, they never shattered. Usually they just broke in 2 or 3 pieces.
 

·
Old School.
Joined
·
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Ms.SheNine I have seen that article before and it is a good one. That fellow makes you recheck all your habits of reloading again. I have found that my most accurate loads are usually under what the books call for as the max. Since I seen that article I have set a light to look down in my cases and I check every tenth round for charge. :)



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Iron Maiden
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Baldy said:
Yes Ms.SheNine I have seen that article before and it is a good one. That fellow makes you recheck all your habits of reloading again. I have found that my most accurate loads are usually under what the books call for as the max. Since I seen that article I have set a light to look down in my cases and I check every tenth round for charge. :)
My hubby does the same. He loads slightly less than the recommended max, and he uses two manuals just for safety sake! When he shoots the reloads - I stand back!!!! :D
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
I was out shooting with a good friend while living in Los Angeles a few years back and he was shooting a Colt Single Action from the custom shop. Beautiful revolver, I believe it was in 38 special/357 mag.

He lit off a double charge reload and the barrel made a singing sound and popped the retaining screw off that holds the mechanism that removes the spent brass from the cylinder. Parts were flying in all directions!

Lots of smoke and a big bang! Most of the gun survived fine and he sent it in for repair.
 
G

·
sig232 said:
I was out shooting with a good friend while living in Los Angeles a few years back and he was shooting a Colt Single Action from the custom shop. Beautiful revolver, I believe it was in 38 special/357 mag.

He lit off a double charge reload and the barrel made a singing sound and popped the retaining screw off that holds the mechanism that removes the spent brass from the cylinder. Parts were flying in all directions!

Lots of smoke and a big bang! Most of the gun survived fine and he sent it in for repair.
:shock: :shock: , I think it would be time for me too sell that revolver.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Gunny the Gun said:
sig232 said:
I was out shooting with a good friend while living in Los Angeles a few years back and he was shooting a Colt Single Action from the custom shop. Beautiful revolver, I believe it was in 38 special/357 mag.

He lit off a double charge reload and the barrel made a singing sound and popped the retaining screw off that holds the mechanism that removes the spent brass from the cylinder. Parts were flying in all directions!

Lots of smoke and a big bang! Most of the gun survived fine and he sent it in for repair.
:shock: :shock: , I think it would be time for me too sell that revolver.
I would probably would have put it up for sale if it was mine!

I have fired a couple of double charges in my Kimber Gold Match with no problem. The guns are strong like the Ruger Single Actions so they will handle most mistakes.

The Kimbers with the outside extractors did experience some problems with rounds going off with the chamber partially open, I have been told. They stopped making those pistols some time ago.

I think this situation separates the expensive guns from some of the more cheaply made guns. The quality of the steel in the gun and how its put together. There are always exceptions but the better guns are safer to shoot, in my opinion.
 
G

·
Re: KaBoom!!

Well, here's a chance to tell my almost entire history around guns. I just got my CCW and I wanted to do everything the right way, and to develop safe habits right off the bat so I contacted a certified NRA instructor in my area. We both showed up at the range and he had 3 or 4 S/W's in different calibers, a GP100 Ruger and a Glock semi auto. After shooting off several rounds of my fathers old 22 H&R that had not been shot in about 30 years ( I cleaned it real good first and had a gun shop look it over first) I began to shoot his guns. First the S/W 22. The thing was like butter in my hand...beautiful. Then the gun I was really looking forward to shooting... the S/W 357 SS. This gun was only a few month old. The instructor said go ahead and load in these rounds and begin shooting when ready. I aimed the gun and squeezed the trigger and KAAAAA
BOOOOM!!!. My first thought was holy crap, that had way more recoal than I thought. The instructor yelled STOP, STOP! About that time I realized that the gun had blown apart. The cylinder blew in half and each side ended up about 15' to the left and right, bent the frame above the cylinder and cracked the frame wide open near the trigger!!! Remember, this is my first time at a gun range! The first thing this genius says is "You blew up my Gun! I could hardly believe what just happened. First the gun blows up in my hands and then he blames me. I could not believe no one was hurt, the range was not very busy yet. Anyway. he realized it wasnt my fault, hey, I'm just the student. He then blamed it on the ammo. We were using Winchester 38's. not sure what grain, but he said one round must have been double loaded at the factory. After we regained our composure, we continued with the lesson, which in retrospective, I can't believe I did. Now here's the weird part. After the lesson I went to a gun shop that another friend had recommended and told him what had just happened. To my surprise he pulled out an identical S/W that had done the exact same thing!

Dan.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Re: KaBoom!!

MDL said:
Well, here's a chance to tell my almost entire history around guns. I just got my CCW and I wanted to do everything the right way, and to develop safe habits right off the bat so I contacted a certified NRA instructor in my area. We both showed up at the range and he had 3 or 4 S/W's in different calibers, a GP100 Ruger and a Glock semi auto. After shooting off several rounds of my fathers old 22 H&R that had not been shot in about 30 years ( I cleaned it real good first and had a gun shop look it over first) I began to shoot his guns. First the S/W 22. The thing was like butter in my hand...beautiful. Then the gun I was really looking forward to shooting... the S/W 357 SS. This gun was only a few month old. The instructor said go ahead and load in these rounds and begin shooting when ready. I aimed the gun and squeezed the trigger and KAAAAA
BOOOOM!!!. My first thought was holy crap, that had way more recoal than I thought. The instructor yelled STOP, STOP! About that time I realized that the gun had blown apart. The cylinder blew in half and each side ended up about 15' to the left and right, bent the frame above the cylinder and cracked the frame wide open near the trigger!!! Remember, this is my first time at a gun range! The first thing this genius says is "You blew up my Gun! I could hardly believe what just happened. First the gun blows up in my hands and then he blames me. I could not believe no one was hurt, the range was not very busy yet. Anyway. he realized it wasnt my fault, hey, I'm just the student. He then blamed it on the ammo. We were using Winchester 38's. not sure what grain, but he said one round must have been double loaded at the factory. After we regained our composure, we continued with the lesson, which in retrospective, I can't believe I did. Now here's the weird part. After the lesson I went to a gun shop that another friend had recommended and told him what had just happened. To my surprise he pulled out an identical S/W that had done the exact same thing!

Dan.
Wow! That is freaky. I do know that a few 357 mag K models that had a high count of heavy mag shot through them developed stress fractures on the top strap and forcing cone. Maybe you were using a gun with a lot of mileage on it and it had been weakened prior to the double charge.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top