National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered it for $140 + $29 shipping. My local FFL charges $40 for the background check + transfer. $209 total.

any accessories u guys recommend? Any cheap online ammo sites?

thanks for any comments!

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Just keep looking for ammo. Some will turn up.

Congrats on your first gun. I bet your itching to take her out. Be sure to give us a shooting report when you do. Have fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just keep looking for ammo. Some will turn up.

Congrats on your first gun. I bet your itching to take her out. Be sure to give us a shooting report when you do. Have fun!
that i am! i just got on ebay for $15, a concealed carrying pouch for it. Ive fired the non-compact 9mm and the JCP .40 by hi-point and I liked both. i was reading that someone had found some custom grips for it, so im on the hunt! nothing is ever "just good enough" with me. LOL

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
Congratulations majormods! Nice gun at a great price. I know just how you feel about the grips. Nothing makes a new gun "yours" like a set of nice grips.

There are a million grip makers out there, just be really careful. Try to get a reference to a grip maker from someone who has already done business with them. A lot of "custom grip makers" don't make grips at all. They only buy jigs for the cutting machine they use and if they don't have a jig of your gun they can't make you a grip.

There are people who actually sit down with a piece of wood and turn out a work of art. They are not cheap. Depending on grip material a set of custom grips can start at $100 and go up as high as you can afford. You can easily spend more on your grips than you did on your gun. The grip maker I use works in about a hundred different woods and also fossils such as Merino Sheep Horn, Stag, Giraffe Leg Bone, Mammoth Ivory (both smooth and Bark.... yes, its expensive), Modern Ivory, Buffalo Horn, etc, etc. Whatever material you like is available for a price.

I buy my custom grips from Tommy Twofeathers in North Carolina. He has been featured in a number of the shooting magazines and has been carving all his life. He does every grip himself so depending on how many orders are on the bench the waiting list can stretch into months. On the other hand if things are slow he can get a set done in a couple weeks.

I have a set on order right now and the wait is about 6 weeks. Mine are for an auto and are being made out of Maple Burl Spalted Stabiized. You can see what that looks like on his site.....

Http://www.tommy2feathers.com/

Go to the button for "wood types" and then go through the list to Maple Burl Spalted Stabiized, click on it, and when it opens mine is like the second one from the left.

Anyway, this turned out longer than I expected... Good Luck with your gun, if I can help let me know, and shoot safe!

Don

·
Gun Nut
1,599 Posts
The hi-point is not a bad gun for the money. I had one in .45. I gave it away a few months ago to my brother in law since he had no weapon at home after selling me his .380 years ago. I knew he needed something in todays world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts