National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The picture below is a picture of my father during his stint in the Navy. I found it not too long ago and am trying to find a place that I can trust to restore it, and make a neat Christmas present out of it for him. He's my hero and my role model. So I'm posting this as a tribute to him.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
A-7 Corsair II, One BAAADASS Gunfighter!

Salute for your Dad. I was USAF, born @Portsmouth Naval Base whilst Dad was in the Navy. (No, he was not on a two-masted schooner, either, y'all smartasses!)

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Tell your father thank you for me TX1911. Did he ever tell you what his opinion of the Corsair was?

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Said it was a joy to fly, and that he misses it tremendously. The only complaint was the engine. He flew the E model and after a (relatively) few hours, it would need to be overhauled. My understanding is that the problem was fixed eventually.

He does have quite a few stories though. Sucked a turkey buzzard through the intake once and blew out all of the fans in the engine. Still made a safe landing without power.

Also, and not to toot his horn or anything, but did y'all know there was a "Top Gun" for bomber pilots? Told me the movie was absolute BS, but he was best in class.

Anyway, I'm pretty proud of him. And the more I thought about it after I posted the pic, I realized that, yes, it is a tribute to him, but it's kind of a tribute to all who fought in that era, and to all who continue to fight for us. Words cannot express my gratitude.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And thank y'all for all of the kind words. He's kind of having a tough time right now. The only country that really flies the A-7 any longer is Greece, and the only ones I've seen in their inventory are two-seaters, and his carrier is destined to be used for target practice (donated as a reef). The Forrestal had a following that tried to rescue it and make it into a museum, but the effort failed for lack of funding. Apparently, the hull of the ship is still classified so it will be sunk in an undisclosed location.

We tried to go see her one last time a few years ago, when she was the training carrier at NAS Pensacola, but she had departed for Rhode Island about a month before we arrived.

Anyway, thanks again for humoring me folks. It is truly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
Tell your father thank you for me TX1911.
A BIG +1, TX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts