National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I got quite a few guns... my favorite is my S&W 629 44mag (she's a bute). I also have a Century Arms AK with some customization in order. lately I have taken an intrest in long range, or sniper, rifles. I bought a 30-06 plain. I am lokking for advice for scopes, bipods, ect. I've been on many gun fourms but I hear this ones the best, so hear I am.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

·
Registered
648 Posts
A good scope and a trigger job are good places to start. for long range on a 30-06 a scope with at least a 50 mm objective and at least 12x would be my pick. 30-06 is one of my favorite rounds. The 30-06 is easily capable of making accurate shots out to 600 or even 800 yards depending on the load the shooter and the choice of fire arm. I took my first elk when I was 14 with a 30-06. it was a 500+ yard shot and I hit him high shoulder on the first shot and right in the throat on the second. that was with 165 grn loads.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

·
Registered
367 Posts
Harris bipod
Quality scope with target turrets
Timmney trigger
Match ammo
No coffee alcohol tobacco or sex
Oh, ok its ok for sex but not on shooting days (fatigue)

Still want to be a sniper big boy?

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James Salenger said:
Harris bipod
Quality scope with target turrets
Timmney trigger
Match ammo
No coffee alcohol tobacco or sex
Oh, ok its ok for sex but not on shooting days (fatigue)

Still want to be a sniper big boy?

ha ha ha.... thanks. What's the point of getting a different trigger.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Crisper and lighter trigger pull.
No overtravel.
No takeup.

Past 600 yards little things make a big difference. An improved trigger adds to accuracy.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohhh, ok. Thank you.

G

·
I would add the big stuff first... being barrel and stock. Then go for the other smaller items, like scope, bipod cheek rest, and other stuff like that.

- As a former professional shooter and current competitor, I have one scope that has more than a 50mm objective. And while it helps with low light shooting, it is not necessary to have. During my entire career in the Marines, I never used a 50mm scope. And while I am not famous, I apperantly did my job well enough to stay in the game. Good luck with everything, and remember to always get a second opinion.
I see shots being taken almost everyday at long distances (past 800 yrds) with 40mm and 42mm scopes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
G

·
work up loads that combine bullets differnt powder and charges and see what shoots best in your weapon at close ranges,learn wind and characteristic of each bullet round.group the weapon w/ each round and decide (1) how good your barrel is ( pulled or pushed. and a great factory barrel from the big boy is @1/2 " moa .buy custom and the groups decrease lazzeroni shoots sub1/4 @ 100 yds which is is exceptional(2) what load it likes in a30-06 your limited in distance and reliability as such but should w/ lots of pratice to shoot acureatly at @ 400 550 yds with lots of pratice and work.sectional density ballistic coeffecient and "wasted charge " will all factor into accuracylot at thompsoms long range shooting they use weatherby 30-378 and are killing antelope a 1200 to 1500 yds.although a30-06 is a good /great caiber to shoot the distance your talking i woud step up to at least a new ultra mag.in any caliber.depending on game .although jack "o conner did all 28 n. american w a .270 and some dangeros game pratice try a new load, poratice try a new load....good luck would love an update knowledge is power..

G

·
please keep me informed .if the 'o6 wont work maybe we can work out a trade w my .300 rum.w muzzle break and @ 300 custom rds.pm me for more info

1 - 16 of 16 Posts