National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the primary article compared the Ruger (A+) to the Walther VAH38002 (C) and the TaurusPT1388P-12 (D), they devoted 4 pages comparing the Ruger to the KelTec.

The barely preferred the KelTec to the Ruger, primarily because the Ruger's finer checkering made it a little harder to grip.

Synopsis:

The sights on both guns suck.
Grouping was the same on both guns.

The Kel Tec trigger came to a fine (painful) point...they recommended filing it down.
The Kel Tec frame had molding burrs that had to be shaved off with a knife (none on the externals of the Ruger).
The Kel Tec ejector falls out when the gun is disassembled, and is easy to lose (as is the main takedown pin).
They installed the mag extension to get a better grip, and found that it fit (imperfectly, but functionally) on the Ruger...Ruger currently does not offer a mag extension.

They experienced numerous FTF with the Ruger...the incoming round stuck between the top of the chamber and the breech face.
There were rough surfaces on the breech face and the top extension of the chamber that required polishing.
Some internal deburring was required.
Using Speer Gold Dot, the hollow nose of the bullet jammed into the base of the feed ramp, distorting the bullet making it hard to extract!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, ya beat me to it, you SCOUNDREL! I was going to post right after supper. Thanks for saving my delicate digits!

...grrr.rrr.rrr...

OK, I'm over it now.

The article pretty much confirmed what we were discussing a couple of wks ago. I do like the metal operating rod and the ability to lock the slide back. Otherwise it's pretty much a yawner -- unless someone's just GOT to have the Ruger logo on their pocket peashooter.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I received that issue day before yesterday.

I let it ride, thinking someone else might post it.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z

G

·
I sold the KelTec when I got the Ruger. The used KelTec fetched enought to score the Ruger- 'course I didn't pay the scalper price. I'm dumbfounded that idiots are paying $350 for a piece that wholesales for $230. There's one born every day. Keeps me cash flow flowing. I buy cheeeep and seld cheap. Makes everybody smile. Course I don't do this for a living, that would take the fun outta it.

My take on the Ruger. Slightly better fit and finish. I don't have a jamming problem. But I learned years ago to break any auto loader in with ball ammo. At least 200 rounds. Take it down for a good cleaning and it'll gobble up most anything. :D

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Oh Boy! Looks like an opportunity to use that new Dremel kit I bought at the box store. It has all those cute little grinding wheels, and wire brushes, polishing compound. Have that Ruger humming on square bullets in no time!! ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I hope you're that happy after your project, Sig. Some gun mag had a photo feature a few yrs ago, about the results of folks who do gunsmithing with Dremel Tools. ....'twasn't pretty.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gunrnr said:
I hope you're that happy after your project, Sig. Some gun mag had a photo feature a few yrs ago, about the results of folks who do gunsmithing with Dremel Tools. ....'twasn't pretty.
Yea, I know. I was just kidding. I have used polishing compound and my finger on feed ramps and revolver parts. Just try to smooth them out without removing any material or doing damage to heat treated parts.

I learned back in the 1970's as a very young man what can happen when using emry paper too aggressively on a high-power sear can do. Pistol went full auto on the range and sent 13 rounds down range in a matter of seconds. I think I have discussed this before.

Today that would get you charged with modifying a firearm to fire full auto without a license :( . Into the slammer! :eek: :eek:

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
It is a little surprising that the Ruger didn't do any better than the Kel-Tec. After all, they could look at the design and improve upon it right from the start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts