National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of using Johnson’s paste wax on guns? Wood and Metal?

Alan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts
I suspect that paste wax could possibly trap moisture between the metal and layer of wax.

As for applying it to wood, it would be okay, but I would use linseed oil instead.

Since oil and water don't mix, I think I would stick with oil for any metal parts.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ive heard of it but never done it myself. I would think like waxing your car it would shield against moisture. Assuming everything was dry to start with.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Have used it (and Ren Wax) on both. works great as a barrier

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use paste wax on the surface of my table saw, keeps the rust off and material slides easily.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I have used it on competition stocks that have been automotive clear coated.

I also use it to lube the inside of necks...nothing slicker and powder doesn't stick to it.

·
Aim true !
10,073 Posts
I waxed my stainless guns with mothers carnauba wax.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Coalcracker, if you want to use a car wax on your rifle, and you want it to contain carnuba, the best carnuba wax in the world is Zymol. Zymol makes a variety of car waxes, and their entry level waxes contain yellow carnuba, which is less expensive than their white carnuba waxes. Their waxes aren't cheap, and they are not for everyone, but once you use it on your car, you will see why it's the best car wax in the world. Myself, I wouldn't use a car wax on any of my rifles. My M1A has a stainless steel barrel, so it won't rust. My two Henry Rifle Golden Boys, state that you should never use any wax or polish on the brass sections of the rifle, but to instead, just wipe them off with a soft cloth.(I use old 100% cotton tee shirts.) As for the Zymol, I have used this wax on a number of my cars over the years, and it gives the best shine that I have ever seen. They used to offer a sample kit of their white carnuba waxes, so I bought one. If anyone should decide to try the Zymol waxes, keep in mind that you have to remove any old wax that is on your car first, otherwise you will just be waxing the wax. They have something that's called HD Cleanse. That's what you need to remove the old wax.

Anyway, I am not a spokesman for Zymol, and I am not being paid by Zymol to mention this, I just wanted everyone to know what the best wax in the world is, since I've used it, I still use it, and I have never found anything else that compares to it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of using Johnson’s paste wax on guns? Wood and Metal?

Alan
I had a friend use it on wood stocks back in the 1960s and I still do occasionally. I pay particular attention to the barrel channel when the action is out believing in helps keep moisture out preventing warping. I suspect it would help protect metal also.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Now Funny I have always heard it being used, like everyone here, the sources I have heard it through say it works. Now I have avoided it I figured it as one of those "Snipe Hunting" tales. Ham-er yes I dug into it and found the white, yellow wax response also I never pushed or tried funny as it sounds now I have used Mothers Mag Polish, on my chrome and stainless, from that one would make the connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts