National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been posted before I apologize in advance. I'l just now watching Jericho. I think it is a reasonable depiction of what life will be like when the crap hits the fan. I've accumilated a lots of guns and ammo, mostly 9mm handgun and .223 military green tips. I've got a place for me and wifey to go that can be fortified, I continue to pick up more ammo as I can pay for.
I own the spread of long guns from the venerable M-1, the proven AK 47, have lots of mags for all. Good bit of ammo.
Who else has a plan and what rifles do you think should be a part of it. I honestly don't think I'm being paranoid. Ben Rotten just addressed the nation via internet. Our military is spread so thin you can see through it.
Any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I live on acreage in the country, in Orygun. My place in on top of a hill - about 200 yards from the nearest accessible point, with 360 degree clear fields of fire. Three wells and a couple of horses.

While one can never have enough guns and ammo, I'm in decent shape.

I would not leave my place, just keep the burglar /intruder alarms set(dawgs), and hunker down.

I will have room for friends.

Doug

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Doug Wilson said:
I live on acreage in the country, in Orygun. My place in on top of a hill - about 200 yards from the nearest accessible point, with 360 degree clear fields of fire. Three wells and a couple of horses.

While one can never have enough guns and ammo, I'm in decent shape.

I would not leave my place, just keep the burglar /intruder alarms set(dawgs), and hunker down.

I will have room for friends.

Doug
Put up some supplies we may all have to come visit in 08 following the election. :cry: ;) I'll bring some cookies!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I watch Jericho too! That show kicks ass. It's one of the few TV programs that I have ever watched with any regularity. Its the type of show that makes you think "what if"..... The show makes it pretty clear that when the SHTF, guns and food are the main requirements for survival....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm in decent shape.
That's a part that a lot of people forget about completely. So many Americans (I mean no offence, I myself plan on buying a military rifle next, to have on "just in case...") like to fantasize about the end of the world and what weapons an supplies they need for that scenario. If you are really concerned about those things, you should also keep yourself fit by exercising regularly. Just my opinion...

Apart from that, I only have 9mm and .357 magnum handguns (excluding for obvious reasons the .22s) so I have mostly 9mm ammo on hand. I'd take my Glock 17 with me. It's a tough gun and I have the most magazines for it (they are cheap :!: ). And like I mentioned before, my next buy will be an assault rifle (I know you don't like that term :twisted: ). Most likely an H&K G3 or perhaps a FN FAL. I'm not entirely sure yet. Both of those rifles seem like a good choice for me. They can do everything I need. I like the fact that you can carry more 5,56mm ammo, but I'd not be looking for a fight or be part of a squad and the 7,62mm is a more versatile round.

So should the Germans get funny again, I'm prepared:mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So should the Germans get funny again, I'm prepared:mrgreen:
The Germans have never been funny - especially when they were coming your way!

I'd much rather they were going our way next time - and there probably will be a next time!
:-B-:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Many years ago (about 40) I ran into a question on a military infantry test (oral board) that I took to get the next rank.
The question stated:

You are trapped and without a weapon behind enemy lines. You find a stash of weapons which include:

30/06
Your personal weapon (an M-14 in my case at the time)
.45ACP Thomson machine gun
.22 cal semi auto rifle

All weapons had almost unlimited supplies of ammo. You had to pick one and try to get back to your lines.

Which one would you pick and why?

The correct answer was the .22. You mission was to protect yourself while you got back to your lines. The .22 was very light and you could carry lots of ammo in you pocket with very little weight. It would still protect you versus being a big bore offensive weapon and chance are your encounters would be a close distances.

By the way, I took the Thompson. Wrong for the weight and purpose and much too loud I was told.
I would assume that this may apply here also.

I still answered enough of the questions right at the board to get that stripe.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
keninaz said:
Many years ago (about 40) I ran into a question on a military infantry test (oral board) that I took to get the next rank.
The question stated:

You are trapped and without a weapon behind enemy lines. You find a stash of weapons which include:

30/06
Your personal weapon (an M-14 in my case at the time)
.45ACP Thomson machine gun
.22 cal semi auto rifle

All weapons had almost unlimited supplies of ammo. You had to pick one and try to get back to your lines.

Which one would you pick and why?

The correct answer was the .22. You mission was to protect yourself while you got back to your lines. The .22 was very light and you could carry lots of ammo in you pocket with very little weight. It would still protect you versus being a big bore offensive weapon and chance are your encounters would be a close distances.

By the way, I took the Thompson. Wrong for the weight and purpose and much too loud I was told.
I would assume that this may apply here also.

I still answered enough of the questions right at the board to get that stripe.

Thats very interesting! I would have missed that question also, going for the M-14! ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Germans have never been funny - especially when they were coming your way!
Of course not funny in a good way, but the word has more than one meaning. You know what I mean ;)

funny: adj. causing laughter, amusing; strange; suspicious; ridiculous; joking

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ok.
To the winner we have a brand new 4 year contract as a 11B (infantry) with the US Army as your prize!
Report to any local recruiters office to claim your prize. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
keninaz said:
Ok.
To the winner we have a brand new 4 year contract as a 11B (infantry) with the US Army as your prize!
Report to any local recruiters office to claim your prize. ;)
OK, I'm 64, 50# overweight, poor eyesight. Hell, they wouldn't take when I enlisted for Viet Nam, the recruiter would laugh his arse off when I came hobbling in. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hell - if they'd take me, I'd go!!

All I need is for them to put me in the same shape I was in, when I was in !!

Doug

·
Registered
658 Posts
Putting me back in the same shape would most likely kill me today.
My time is past for active game playing. I did my bit 66-72 and did not regret much of it anyway.
Self Defense for me and the wife now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would have picked the M14 too cause a little .22 isn't much protection. One 7.62 round is worth a pocketfull of .22's. If the .22 was so good why did'nt they use it in WWII?
I trained with the M14 for 2 yrs in the Army...great weapon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the Service, I was issued (at various times) an M-1 Garand, an M-1 Carbine, an M-14, a 1911A1 and acquired on my own a Thompson, an Englis High Power and an 870.

Given the situation in the post - only ONE weapon - I would stick to the .22.

If I had the option of multiple firearms, in order of preference would be:
M-14
M-1 Garand
Thompson
High Power
1911A1
M-1 Carbine

None of the mouse guns would be on my list - AR15, M16, M4, AK variants.

Doug

·
Registered
658 Posts
I prefered the M-14 too, but you forgot the rest of the question.
You had to travel light and fast to get back to your lines and defend yourself while you were doing it.
Remember how heavy that M-14 was trying to move fast?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts