National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Type 99 Arisaka that was passed down to me by my grandfather It was rusted but I took it to the gunsmith and got it all removed. This rifle is a absolute mystery I can not find any other variants of it when I picked up the rifle from the gunsmith he told me that the barrel is way shorter than the typical 25 inch arisakas and that it shows no alterations looks like a Type 99 that came out of the factory but shorter it is a Kokura Arsenal I can't figure out the series number but I know Kokura made series 20 through 25 all parts are matching mum is ground off It has a brass plate nailed on the stock of the rifle with Japanese characters on it its really bugging the hell out of me on what it

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
I will hazard the guess that, at some time in its life, its been cut down.

Deciphering the plaque may give a clue as to when and why it was cut down.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Got to go with Popeye on this one. Many Arasaka's were disassembled and had their stocks cut behind the band to get them to fit into duffle bags for bring-back to the States. I'm thinking this one was possibly shortened overseas for that purpose.

·
5,082 Posts
Got to go with Popeye on this one. Many Arasaka's were disassembled and had their stocks cut behind the band to get them <script id="gpt-impl-0.42528910862001306" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_119.js"></script>to fit into duffle bags for bring-back to the States. I'm thinking this one was possibly shortened overseas for that purpose.
I think your right as to some stock being cut. But this one being asked about concerns barrel length.
He just says " about" and such. I don't know why the hell he hasn't put a tape to it and measured.
I had something on some that were 21.5" barreled but can't find it now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the responses I put the tape to it and measured it and its a 16 inch barrel, I thought it could have been duffel cut or sporterized but it was not my grandfather and the gunsmith both confirmed this I had part of the plaque translated and it says 39 Model/Make/issue and the big x means district

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that the plaque just says that I think its a division/regiment number it also has the family name on it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I think your right as to some stock being cut. But this one being asked about concerns barrel length.
He just says " about" and such. I don't know why the hell he hasn't put a tape to it and measured.
I had something on some that were 21.5" barreled but can't find it now.
Understand that the barrel length was what is being questioned, I'm saying the entire rifle was shortened for bring-back.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts

I say the work was done by someone who knew what they were doing. Its not a 'duffle-cut'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if it was shortened the gunsmith said that there was no evidence of it and it was all original not tampered and my grandfather confirmed it

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

I say the work was done by someone who knew what they were doing. Its not a 'duffle-cut'.
The work speaks for itself, yes somebody knew what they were doing. I only suggested that it was shortened to duffle bag length by somebody who knew what they were doing for the purpose of bringing it back.

I know what a duffle cut is, this isn't one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts