National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Connecticut (< the main problem) and I sent in everything in October to recieve my carry permit. I've yet to hear or see anything back from the town or state. I'm told the waiting period at the moment is 8-12 weeks. :yikes1:
In CT, unless I go with someone who has a valid CT pistol permit, I can't even go shooting at the gun ranges. Can not buy a gun(any type), not even ammo. I'm driving myself up a wall waiting for my permit so that I can get some shooting lessons in and buy my own gun.

I'm curious though, if you had to get a carry permit, how long did it take you? Was your state good about it?

·
It's Just My 2¢
5,118 Posts
In WA it takes less than 2 weeks depending on the county you live in.
If you can get your money on the counter you can have a permit. Provided of course you are not a BG.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Was is a shall issue state. Took two weeks way back when. Five year renewal cycle, -60 bucks.

Allows waiver of 3 day waiting period on gun purchases.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Here in Iowa, the permit issues five days after the application if the background check is clean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told not to call and ask about it until after the full 12 weeks are up. It's more of a 'pretend you like the government and are happy waiting for them' scenario.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
With my original application it took four days before I was approved. With this last renewal, it took four months, due to the Sheriff's office being swamped with applications and renewals.

It's understandable to be impatient. You can "fill the void" by researching the different guns and seeing what you like and don't like.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Have patience my dear ...and be glad you don't have to go through the crap that we have to deal with up here .:lol:

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Moving might help! Indiana would love to have you. Lol .

Best of luck and Gods speed to ya.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
Cat, perhaps your first four words pretty well sums it up. Here in Pa. the sheriff in each county regulates LTCF. Some are slower to issue depending on work load etc. But by law they have 45 days to give you a yes or no by mail. In Franklin County I mail in the application along with two references, my reason for wanting it (self defense) and a check for $5.00 and two weeks later I have a postcard telling me to come down and pick up my permit. I pay the balance of $15.00 and they take my picture and laminate my card. It's good for five years.

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
Here in Florida, the land of the heathens, the Department of Agriculture issues the permit. You can do it by mail, or go down. I went to the Dept of Ag in Tampa, filled the forms, they took my picture, I gave them their $113 (or there abouts) and waited about 3 weeks. Called to see what was going on, and the lady says "CONGRATULATIONS", same lady says the same thing on my gun purchases when I call about a thing that hangs me up every time.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
California. It took three months to complete the process.

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
In NY they tell you to expect 6-12 months from the time you submit your paperwork/fingerprints. Takes a couple of weeks just to get that together at the least. Took me 9 months. If you move during the process you have to start over...I have heard of people getting it in as little as 2 months and have heard horror stories of 2+ years..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here in Iowa, the permit issues five days after the application if the background check is clean.
Yup...but I think Jan. 2016 is the first renewal date for 5 yr permits after going to "shall issue". Likely to be back ups at sheriffs offices. Renew early

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in Texas, my initial application took over a month. Back when they were very busy.
Renewals happen pretty quickly. Good luck and enjoy your new firearm.

texnative

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Justice delayed is justice denied, unless the Second Amendment applies.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,064 Posts
I live in New Jersey where concealed carry permits are only issued to active/retired law enforcement and correctional officers.
The only way a civilian can get one is if they're sleeping with a judge or know someone thats sleeping with a judge.

As much as it sucks. I'd be happy with a 3 month wait.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In NH we only have a 3 day wait to clear the back ground check, then were good to go!
Good luck and please keep us informed on your progress !

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Have patience my dear ...and be glad you don't have to go through the crap that we have to deal with up here .:lol:
Yeah, about 3 months here too but at least we don't get finger printed like criminals... Then again we get a background check every damn day.

Reactions: gunzilla

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
IT takes forever in the Libtard states with upper libtard management, moving would solve that problem but easier said then done. good luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts