National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I plan to purchase a pistol grip for my Winchester 1300 Defender 12 GA. shotgun. I attempted to remove the stock from the gun so I will know how to do it in the future when I install the grip. I was able to remove the recoil pad, and then I went to remove the screw at the bottom of the now open and revealed area of the stock. It is my understanding that there is supposed to be a long hex screw. However, upon inspection, I found that the head of the screw was... flat, without any area to insert an allen wrench (or any other sort of screwdriver).

First, was I simply misinformed, and the screw supposed to be like that?
Also (and more importantly), regardless of whether or not the screw head is supposed to be flat, can someone tell me how I would go about removing it? It looks as if it would require some sort of socket wrench, but I don't have anything that can go that deep into the stock.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
That is how every other shotgun stock i have taken off works so you were not misinformed but it's possible a Win 1300 is different(never had one). All the older shotguns i have seen have a flat head screwdriver head but newer stuff can have screwdriver heads, allen bolts or hex bolts. The only thing i can think of is they are using a carriage bolt but that would mean there is a nut on the inside of the receiver but that really makes no sense to me. It's probably a hex bolt and you will need a extension to get to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts