National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
-ROFL-

Only behind espionage and prostitution does the 9mm versus .45 caliber war come in as far as being older.

Gets a bowl of popcorn and watches the thread for action-

A quick aside: A (hot) 9mm Corbon load will readily shoot through a windshield and hit a bad guy rather than tumbling across the hood, or worse yet, getting stuck in the windshield.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Don't make me get out my Col Hatcher books.

Reactions: deputy

· Last Stand on Earth
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll watch the video later but if you shot a 9 mm out of a long barrel it would hurt a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wish there was a way to clock the bullet leaving the back side of the target to show how much energy the FMJ rounds were carrying when leaving the targets. It would be easier to quantify how much energy was left behind.

· Registered
166 Posts
-ROFL-

Only behind espionage and prostitution does the 9mm versus .45 caliber war come in as far as being older.

Gets a bowl of popcorn and watches the thread for action-

A quick aside: A (hot) 9mm Corbon load will readily shoot through a windshield and hit a bad guy rather than tumbling across the hood, or worse yet, getting stuck in the windshield.

But, But, But...On TV the cops (or bad guys) will stand in the middle of the street and shoot at the back of a fleeing car 100yards away and the bullet will not only go through the rear glass to kill the driver it will sometimes go through the trunk lid and three barriers (front of trunk, back seat back, front seat back) to kill the driver! That means it's true! Really - Hollyweird NEVER lies!

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
The speed that it comes through a target with isn’t really a measure of power. The .45 ACP may or may not go through some water jugs. The 9 mm may or may not go through the same water jugs. 230 grains going 1000 FPS and 115 grains going 1200 FPS are two different animals. I’m pretty sure if you got shot with ether one at close range, it would leave a mark.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
What matters is the amount on that energy dispersed into the target. Transfer of that energy is directly related to the trauma it creates. The speed at which the bullet leaves the target can tell us how much energy was dispersed.
And how much was wasted by not transferring it all into the target.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now we are talking hard surface penetration ability vs trauma to flesh targets. That's a whole other animal. Thats a case for smaller/faster ammo.

· Live Free
4,510 Posts
Hmmm, used similar firearms with same barrel lengths, but different calibers and one brand of 9mm hollowpoint ammo was better/different than another completely different brand of .45 ACP ammo. :unsure: Okay, the apple out performed the orange.:) In water bottles...cool!(y)

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
Based loosely on E=mc² (mass times speed equals energy)
The following is based on Federal FMJ ammunition taken from Ballistics101.com .....

9mm ---
115 x 1180 = 135,700
124 x 1120 = 138,800
147 x 1000 = 147,000

45ACP ---
230 x 890 = 204,700

..... shows the 45ACP has more energy as it leaves the barrel, which one can "assume" means more energy released on the target. Just saying.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

· Last Stand on Earth
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, used similar firearms with same barrel lengths, but different calibers and one brand of 9mm hollowpoint ammo was better/different than another completely different brand of .45 ACP ammo. :unsure: Okay, the apple out performed the orange.:) In water bottles...cool!(y)
The purpose was to show the difference in energy absorption. We accomplished that. The one that expanded further delivered more energy in a shorter distance that the one that didn't.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based loosely on E=mc² (mass times speed equals energy)
The following is based on Federal FMJ ammunition taken from Ballistics101.com .....

9mm ---
115 x 1180 = 135,700
124 x 1120 = 138,800
147 x 1000 = 147,000

45ACP ---
230 x 890 = 204,700

..... shows the 45ACP has more energy as it leaves the barrel, which one can "assume" means more energy released on the target. Just saying.
its mass x speed x speed

· Live Free
4,510 Posts
The purpose was to show the difference in energy absorption. We accomplished that. The one that expanded further delivered more energy in a shorter distance that the one that didn't.
Yeah, I got that, just would have seemed, to me, a more effective comparison using the same type ammo in both calibers or same caliber different bullets, but it’s not my test, I’ll be quiet. :censored:

· Last Stand on Earth
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I got that, just would have seemed, to me, a more effective comparison using the same type ammo in both calibers or same caliber different bullets, but it’s not my test, I’ll be quiet. :censored:
Yeah I tried to match it but ammo shortage was an issue. I will be doing this again once I get ahold of some more of the SIG HPs.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.