National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several parts sets of World War II guns that include the sear. I was wondering since the auto sear is the automatic firearm if it is possible to register it and then post it into a host weapon. I know from going to class III dealers that people move the sear into newer AR-15's all the time.

·
Supporting Vendor
188 Posts
You cannot build a machine gun using a sear from a parts kits. In 1986 the Firearms Owners Protection act was passed and doesn't allow any new machine guns to be made unless you have a class 02 SOT. So all the sears and machine guns on the market that are transferable to civilians were made before 1986. You can put a registered sear into a new gun but you cannot create a new sear our add one to a gun without breaking the law. If you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"The auto sear IS the machinegun. The "host" firearm is NOT a machinegun. Once the auto sear is removed from the host, the host remains a normal firearm, and does not need to be registered with the ATF.
Auto Sear Legality

In addition, a machinegun lower receiver could be mated to a brand new upper (for AR-15s.)
Does this make sense?"
So this creates a legal question.
You cannot build a machine gun using a sear from a parts kits. In 1986 the Firearms Owners Protection act was passed and doesn't allow any new machine guns to be made unless you have a class 02 SOT. So all the sears and machine guns on the market that are transferable to civilians were made before 1986. You can put a registered sear into a new gun but you cannot create a new sear our add one to a gun without breaking the law. If you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
In a bunker under a cornfield somewhere, an NSA mainframe computer the size of a school bus puts not only your IP# ,name, age, address, gun serial #'s ,gun safe combination , sexual preference, eye color,etc,etc,etc, - bur all of ours as well into it's memory for future reference...........

Thanks.:sosp:

Failing that, other than trying to show how smart you are about such things, why would you WANT to convert your sister's pink "Hello Kitty" AR
http://reisman.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/12/KittyRifle.jpg to full auto? To waste a whole s&%$load of ammo?

·
Supporting Vendor
188 Posts
You are correct the sear is the registered part and is considered a machine gun. So is the firearm once a sear legal or otherwise is installed. What I am saying is that you cannot register or create a sear since it would be post 86. You can put a registered sear into anything that you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts