National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new on this forum as a user but I've visited a few times. But on to my question. There wasn't a age requirement for these forums so bear with me here. I'm fifteen, sixteen in May. I would like to possess a Glock 17. I'm aware that I cannot own one until I am eighteen but I can keep it with me on me property. Now, would any of these two situations be a straw purchase? 1) I give my parent (she can legally buy a firearm) my money to purchase said Glock, register it under her name and allow me to keep it secured and locked in my safe ( or gift it to me). 2) My uncle gives my parent the money to buy the Glock, she registers it under her name then allows me to keep it secured and locked in my safe ( or gift it to me) and I pay my uncle back at a later date. Thank you very much for your time and please don't discourage me because I'm a minor. I own a Marlin 22 WMR (gifted to me from my uncle before he was deployed) and I'm very responsible and plan to open carry at eighteen and conceal when I'm 21. I'll be in the Army ROTC by then of course.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What you are saying is legal but I don't recommend anyone open carrying unless they have to. It brings more bad attention then good, it can get you kicked ( nicely asked to leave) a store or buissness

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the answer. And yes, I'm aware of the negative attention I would attract. It is a shame that we cannot practice our rights that many have worked hard to preserve without some civilian or police officer freaking out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A shame?...... Its life! If all gun wearers were to carry open we would stand a good chance of even more gun laws going into effect. Just be happy that we can still own guns. I agree its my right to own a gun and it used to be that way in England, Australia, Canada, Japan, China, most African countries, i can't name them all. Some countries you can only own an air rifle.So it would be ok for a group of guys dressed like gang bangers to walk into the store you are shopping in and them all have their guns showing loud and proud? You see what I mean? Your kinda pushing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I don't see what you mean. People are going to worry about guns because they are scared of them. All movies, T.V. shows, and real life can portray them to be frightening. When people think of guns, idiots at least, think of "gangsters, mobsters, rapists and other criminals. If you're scared to practice YOUR right because of what other people think then don't. I have a right, by law, to do so. When I'm eighteen at least.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
As an FFL I encounter this situation on occasion. By BATF rules, one has to be 21 (not 18) to purchase a handgun. By some states' laws, one may own a handgun at age 18, but that varies and I strongly encourage you to find out your state's rules from a reliable source that is NOT an internet forum or a police officer (most of whom are sadly misinformed regarding firearms laws). I suggest someone in the Attorney General's, District Attorney's, or State's Attorney's office. Different jurisdictions call them by different names.

Once you are 18, a parent or guardian may purchase a handgun for your use, although they retain ownership of the firearm and are responsible for your actions with it at all times. Again, the laws vary from state to state as far as when you may be in actual possession of the handgun, so get the facts first. It is not a straw purchase for a relative who is eligible (legally allowed) to purchase a handgun to do so for another family member who is also eligible. Purchases like that occur all the time, i.e., a husband buying a handgun for his wife, son for his father, father for his daughter, etc. ad nauseum. An illegal straw purchase is one in which a person who is eligible to receive a firearm purchases one for another person who is not eligible. Such a transaction is a federal felony and carries serious penalties.

Welcome to NGF and I hope this helps. When you get a minute, maybe you could go over to the New Members Forum and introduce yourself. There is a lot to learn here and lots of knowlegeable folks to help out.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
A shame?...... Its life! If all gun wearers were to carry open we would stand a good chance of even more gun laws going into effect. Just be happy that we can still own guns. I agree its my right to own a gun and it used to be that way in England, Australia, Canada, Japan, China, most African countries, i can't name them all. Some countries you can only own an air rifle.So it would be ok for a group of guys dressed like gang bangers to walk into the store you are shopping in and them all have their guns showing loud and proud? You see what I mean? Your kinda pushing it.
I don't think he is pushing anything. It should be with out question the right for a legal citizen to carry a fire arm concealed or not end of story. What is life is that people who just shut up an except the fact that their rights are being ignored just get more rights taken away. Your idea of gang bangers openly showing their guns loud and proud holds no water. First off the gang banger if indeed that is what they are will not show openly because of the simple fact that they most likely are not legally allowed to carry guns. However don't worry if not seeing their firearm makes you happy then...... well it doesn't really matter then does it because they still have guns legal or not. Also I would like to add from my personal history nothing takes the attitude out of the gang banger like a 1911 .45 pulled out of the pocket of their potential target. Another time I was in a bad part of town confronted by a group of individuals (I like to think of them as Obama supporters) that wanted my friends and mine wallet. Well they changed their minds real fast when they noticed my NRA sticker thats on the window of my truck that I was leaning against. I didn't have to pull anything in fact I didn't have anything on me it was inside my truck, but the fact of the matter is they changed their minds because they thought I was armed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The simple point is I personally dont care about the gangbangers for I know I can out shoot and react better then them. If a soccer mom saw the gang bangers gun it would freak her out and if she saw mine.... it would still freak her out.lol I know at least in Vegas soccer moms freak and cops get called. Better to just avoid the situation.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Unexercised rights soon become lost rights.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It seems like nobody agrees that it is better to carry concealed then to carry exposed. I know he is talking about being 18 and all but me personally have my ccw so people don't see it.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Forget what cops or soccer moms think, open carrying is just not practical from a safety standpoint. If you are open carrying and someone is looking to rob a store, rob a person or create any type of mayhem than you stand in the way of that person committing that crime. Who do bank robbers first subdue when they rob banks, armed guards. I am sure the presence of open carry may deter a few crimes but why go out of your way to put yourself in danger. I carry a gun for protection first and foremost. If I am put in a situation where I can save the live of another I would hope I have the courage to do so. Concealed carry gives me the advantage that I do not possess a deadly threat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts