National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16ga. shotgun that belonged to my dad when he was a young. It's an Iver Johnson single shot. I don't think it has much monetary value, but I like it as a tie to my youth. I've stored it in a closet for years and it has developed some rust. Can a gunsmith remove this and re-blue it? What's a reasonable cost to expect? Should I pick a gunsmith from the yellow pages?

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I would find a gunsmith that YOU FEEL CONFIDENT with. Its like somebody working on your car....

Prices are a concern when it comes to bringing back the emories in your gun. Just make sure its not outrageous.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Guns and more said:
I have a 16ga. shotgun that belonged to my dad when he was a young. It's an Iver Johnson single shot. I don't think it has much monetary value, but I like it as a tie to my youth. I've stored it in a closet for years and it has developed some rust. Can a gunsmith remove this and re-blue it? What's a reasonable cost to expect? Should I pick a gunsmith from the yellow pages?
To do the job right not all gunsmiths have the tanks and stuff to do it. Ask around in gun shops and at ranges in your area and there will be one guys name you will hear more than any of the others. That will be the man you want. It's a art and there just not that many guys around that do it right. Expect to pay a premium price probably more than what an old Iver Johnson is worth. I can't find anybody in my area that does it but I do have a good gunsmith. Good luck. :-B-:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have a very good outfit in California doing all my personal and my customers' rebluing jobs. PM if you need contact info. But you are correct in assuming that the reblue may cost more than the monetary value of the piece. Just have to determine for yourself if the sentimental value exceeds the book value.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you may want to try it yourself. I did not knowing how and it turned out good but not the quality a good gunsmith would have achieved. It felt good however to know I did it myself. I give myself a B+. Follow the directions exactly and take your time. You can also try rubbing the gun down with a thick cloth and lots of gun oil to remove rust. be careful with scotchbrite or fine steelwool you may get scratches.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
To remove the rust,
Get yourself a can of G96 Total Gun Treatment penetrating oil. CorrosionX penetrating oil is also good but doesn't smell as good. Also, get a bath towel sized piece of burlap cloth.

Remove the buttstock and fore end.

Lay your shotgun on the burlap and spray the metal down with the penetrating oil. Don't worry about wasting oil.

Let it set for 24 hours, or so.

Lightly respray with oil and wipe the metal down with the burlap cloth. Respray while wiping as necessary. This process should remove the surface rust and show you the places where the rust started, the places that will need more work. You may be wiping for a while. DO NOT SCRUB, WIPE!

This is the end of step one.

If you are interested in continuing, say so and I will continue.

The entire process is time consuming and labor intensive (especially the remaining part). It is not expensive. It may entail the outlay of $10.00. It is not particularly difficult.

If the rusting and pitting is not severe, rebluing is not necessary as not harming any remaining finish is a main goal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts