National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
USN
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>Link<

I need a relatively secure place to keep one or two guns for a potential bump in the night. The only problem is if I want a rifle close at hand I'll need to drag my container up two flights of stairs (hence a 300lbs+ safe just won't cut it). I think this is one of the more promising finds on Amazon rating-wise, but what do you guys think? Any other suggestions? I hear Stack On makes some decent cabinets.

·
Super Moderator
11,404 Posts
Be sure you bolt it securely to your structure.

--Wag--

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,945 Posts
Secure from what? Children? Teenagers? Burglars?

Reactions: Kobs

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
No Cabinet is safe from burglary but as Wag said it's a lot harder when it's bolted to the wall.

As for stack-on cabinets (not the ones that look like safes) they're good to prevent kids from your stuff but locking mechanism wise, I don't think they would last more than 5 minutes with a teen or a burglar they lock with 3/8 inch rods up and down and a piece of metal in the middle

EDIT:

I have a question though... Why look for a long gun cabinet for home defense? a rifle or a full size shotgun seems a little awkward when you need to move quickly through a house

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Ever shoot a rifle indoors?

Huh, what did you say? Who has there damn finger on the doorbell!

Reactions: Wag and Popeye

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
^^^ I would change their locks to some round key ones though, more pick proof. But the idea is great

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know much about locks a round one may be safer and more tamper proof. I do like how the key can be inserted either way though in the lock on it. It would be easier to get it in in the middle of the night, the lock is really similar to what is on my craftsman tool box.

·
USN
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More ammunition/stopping power than a pistol (which I also currently don't have), mostly I'd just like to have more options available to me. The first thing I'd go to would be a pistol (when I eventually buy one), but the option of a big old boom-stick with a loud-ass pump just seems a wee bit more appealing (and if I feel like I want to be a ***** I can have the first round loaded be a beanbag).

I also might go for one of those furniture pieces with hidden compartments...just seems a wee bit less secure if a burglar knows what to look for.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
be mindful of your friends and company......no "show and tell" or demos if you go the hidden furniture route as people can not usually keep their mouth shut.......

if you are planning on acquiring a few more guns......go with a larger cabinet and plan for the future.

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That safe has the same biometric lock as my Barska pistol safe. When you go to set up your lock follow the directions closely because straight out of the box the lock will open on any fingerprint. Just do a quick check with a finger you haven't had read into the biometric lock to verify you've done things correctly. Overall happy with mine, just passing on a word of caution.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
>Link<

I need a relatively secure place to keep one or two guns for a potential bump in the night. The only problem is if I want a rifle close at hand I'll need to drag my container up two flights of stairs (hence a 300lbs+ safe just won't cut it). I think this is one of the more promising finds on Amazon rating-wise, but what do you guys think? Any other suggestions? I hear Stack On makes some decent cabinets.
"I need a relatively secure place to keep one or two guns for a potential bump in the night."
https://www.willa-hide.com/gun-storage-headboard/
There are other options in the same train of thought.
As other have said - If you can keep a secret no one will know it is there.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
>Link<

When I bought my Winchester safe I was worried about getting it into my house. Hell I was worried about how to get it out of the store let alone how to get it home. It tips the scale at 600+ pounds. Fortunately I bought the safe off of Tractor Supply. When I was asking questions about it I asked about getting home and set up. They set me up with a third party mover that specialized in moving safes. For an extra $125 dollars He picked the safe up from the store and brought it to my home. He had a power dolly that unloaded it off the truck wheeled it over to the door up a few steps and into my home. Then down a flight of steps into my basement and set it down exactly where I wanted it to sit. One guy no sweat no real effort and the move in took about 30 minutes cause I was picky about where I wanted it to sit.

This may not suit your needs but this service is available. Good luck on what ever you decide on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts