National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little German 22 revolver i bought recently. Dose not always fire 1st strike. CCI standad velocity. If i run the them second time around it will fire. If it's the main spring can it be bent to put more tension on the hammer? Thanks Al

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea. I have some Agulla standard on hand.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
Make sure the firing pin has a clear and unobstructed path. Carbon buildup can sometimes prevent the firing pin from reaching the primer with enough force to ignite the primer.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Make sure the firing pin has a clear and unobstructed path. Carbon buildup can sometimes prevent the firing pin from reaching the primer with enough force to ignite the primer.
If your firing pin is worn excessively or damaged no amount of spring tension will overcome that deficiency. You can also polish everything and make sure there is no excessive friction slowing any of the firing components. Shimming or lightening the hammer is another option.

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hammer has the firing pin more like a sharp small flat blade screw driver. I did clean up where it passes through the frame. Next outing i'll try it with the Aqulla standard velocity.

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one above is not mine. I found it. Seaching for a pic of the hammer. I did clean mine well when i got it. I oiled all the moving parts too. I'll be taking out again soon.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
The primer compound "painted into the rim" of .22 rim-fire cartridges at the factory can "disbond" due to rough handling of the packaged ammo. This in turn creates a "void area" that will lead to a misfire when struck by the firing pin. Rotate the cartridge in the cylinder bore or chamber for a restrike attempt to fire.

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes i do that trick when i have missfire. Had it out this eve. Tried the Aqulla it was real bad with it. Then i tried winchester. Some fired 1st strike. The others fired 2nd time around. The ammo is usually good in my other guns. My son shot it too. He was shooting it double action. I thought it was a single action. Because it has a loading gate like a S/A.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
scrub the heck of of the cylinder......
sometimes there is build-up and when you think you properly loaded the chamber, some rounds may not be 100% seated all the way down....

the first strike ends up punching the round all the way forward....then the 2nd strike will touch off as there is no give as the round is fully seated.
it takes very little space to cause this....so little that you might not notice it.

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome thanks for the tip. (y) I took the grips off mine again to double check how the springs are. Way different. The rest matches the pic though. It's a Gerstenberger Model EMGE .22LR .

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
What was said above but I'll also add something to Steves post. Sometimes the priming compound isn't even around the whole rim, especially on cheaper ammo. Not usually the case with CCI though. When you have a misfire do they fire after you rotate them?

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They will fire after just cycling the cylinder around a second time. Today i'll take the cylinder out. And soak it in Ed's red. Then scrub it well.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
The external wax lube coating on rimfire .22's will scrape off on the cylinder chamber edge and eventually build up, forming a "cushion" on the cylinder face that prevents the cartridge rim from seating flush with the cylinder surface. Counter-bored or recessed chambers (Colt revolvers) will build up this wax deposit that should be removed with a wood tooth-pick when cleaning the gun. If this is the problem, and not primer displacement in the cartridge rim, a "double strike" from the hammer will usually fire the cartridge.

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I couldn't get the cylinder out. i soaked the whole gun in ed's red for about an hour. I scrubbed with a tooth brush. And ran a bronze brush though the bore and cylinders. Gave the casing recess's good scrubbing too. Blasted everything with break free's version of gun scrubber. After it dried. Blew everything off with compressed air. And oiled and assembled. I think the gun is a version of a Rohm. The maybe not? It's a Gerstenberger Model EMGE .22LR Im not well versed on all the German Saturday night specials. But all the videos i found were not the same as mine for removing the cylinder. The rod that it rides on. Is connected to the end of the barrel. No set screw or roll pin. At the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts