National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across lots of folks on forums, especially those who live in anti-gun states like MA, IL, NJ, NY, etc who ask questions that usually start with "can I own a... " or "is my gun legal in". When I researched these kinds of things on the web, information was scant, disorganized, confusing or non-existent.

This may not be true of lots of folks here, because you are fortunate enough to live in "free" states, like New Hampshire. But for the rest of us peasants, we have to deal with nanny, babysitting nonsense.

So, as an avid gun owner and pro-liberty dude, I thought I'd create a site that covers these kinds of questions - "can I own a" and "is my gun legal in". Created a site called www.ismygunlegal.com. Has thousands of guns which you can peruse through. Cool thing is you can add guns of your own, edit the ones that are there, and change legalities of firearms in the various states (like a wiki).

The site is new and is constantly being updated with new and current information, so not all of the firearms are up to date. There are well over 4,000 firearms to look at and add to. It's a non-commercial site, 100% free and always will be.

My question for y'all is - how do you like the site? What would you change about it? What needs improvement? I've purposely made it very spartan - clean, with little or not clutter. Just information on guns. How it should be, IMO.

Lemme know what you think. Hope this doesn't count as spam for my first post - thought it would be a helpful link to everybody here, 'specially folks who are unfortunate enough to live in anti-gun states (like myself).

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
No, its not spam. But its close.

Your listing of 'legal' handguns in California sucks... bad.

"Unclear" means nothing.

California lists, on its DOJ (firearms) website Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General , all newly manufactured handguns legal for sale by FFL01 dealers in California. Handguns not included on the list, but already owned by California residents, are legal for private (person-to-person) sale and are legal for a FFL01 dealer to sell on a consignment basis.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its not spam. But its close.

Your listing of 'legal' handguns in California sucks... bad.

"Unclear" means nothing.

California lists, on its DOJ (firearms) website Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General , all newly manufactured handguns legal for sale by FFL01 dealers in California. Handguns not included on the list, but already owned by California residents, are legal for private (person-to-person) sale and are legal for a FFL01 dealer to sell on a consignment basis.
Thanks for the info.

What sucks about the legal handgun listings? We have to update lots of things on the site because the info is always evolving. I think we went through that link you supplied and updated the handguns to reflect, but I'll double-check.

Had to put "unclear" because sometimes it's, well, unclear as to whether a firearm is legal in a state. The documents detailing the legalities are hard to find or ambivalent. Example, Maryland - they have a "copycat" law is which highly ambiguous and patently unfair to gun owners.

Sounds like you hate the site. Sorry about that, trying hard to make it a good one.

·
54,933 Posts
Never said I hated your site. I said the California part sucks. It contains very little useable information.

Any handgun legal for sale before, manufactured before and in the state before the advent of the "Not Unsafe Handgun List" is legal in California. Its just that a FFL01 dealer cannot sell the handgun (except through consignment). If at any time the handgun was on the list but was later delisted the same (consignment sales) applies to FFL01 dealers. Transfers of these handguns between private parties is totally legal.

·
54,933 Posts
Now, here's the kicker. No handgun not currently included on the list can be legally imported into California unless said handgun is considered, by the ATFe, as a Curio and Relic.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never said I hated your site. I said the California part sucks. It contains very little useable information.

Any handgun legal for sale before, manufactured before and in the state before the advent of the "Not Unsafe Handgun List" is legal in California. Its just that a FFL01 dealer cannot sell the handgun (except through consignment). If at any time the handgun was on the list but was later delisted the same (consignment sales) applies to FFL01 dealers. Transfers of these handguns between private parties is totally legal.
Yeah, working hard on getting things up to speed with Californian information. It's pretty complex. I appreciate the info you've shared. The "Not Unsafe Handgun List' sounds similar to laws we have in Massachusetts. Can't buy Glocks here, unless they were pre-ban (I think 1994?).

Now, here's the kicker. No handgun not currently included on the list can be legally imported into California unless said handgun is considered, by the ATFe, as a Curio and Relic.
I just looked up curios and relics. If I understand correctly, it looks like old, bizarre or historically significant handguns that are 50 years or more in age can be imported into CA. Sound about right?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,458 Posts
The website has potential. However the firearms should have more information, such as action stated "other" instead of DA/SA and there is no barrel length field. Also separate the available magazines, for example, CT a 10 round magazine is legal, the higher capacity magazine is illegal.

You might want to open up the site to user editing, so we can update the information with what we know. I believe this is your intent, but I couldn't make changes or figure out how to make changes.

And you might want to include suppressors, as a separate blanket item as some states allow them and some don't.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The website has potential. However the firearms should have more information, such as action stated "other" instead of DA/SA and there is no barrel length field. Also separate the available magazines, for example, CT a 10 round magazine is legal, the higher capacity magazine is illegal.

You might want to open up the site to user editing, so we can update the information with what we know. I believe this is your intent, but I couldn't make changes or figure out how to make changes.

And you might want to include suppressors, as a separate blanket item as some states allow them and some don't.
You're right, the firearms need more information. You must be a mindreader, because we are implementing the "other" field just as stated. That should come around within about a month (programmers working on it).

On the magazines - you can definitely make that a stipulation in the profile. You'll see what I mean now that I've updated your permissions. You can now edit and add any firearm you like. Sent you an email on it.

Appreciate the feedback!

·
54,933 Posts
I just looked up curios and relics. If I understand correctly, it looks like old, bizarre or historically significant handguns that are 50 years or more in age can be imported into CA. Sound about right?
Yup. But there are exceptions to the 50 year old rule. Example: The Walther P.1 (an aluminum framed P.38) manufactured from the mid 1950s to well into the 1980s are all considered C&R handguns.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. But there are exceptions to the 50 year old rule. Example: The Walther P.1 (an aluminum framed P.38) manufactured from the mid 1950s to well into the 1980s are all considered C&R handguns.
That's just weird, but not at all surprising considering the nonsense that is California gun law.

Going to have to research this more. You have any sources I could look at while I google it?

·
54,933 Posts
There are no hard and fast rules concerning C&R firearms. Its entirely up to the BATFe.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Just for fun i looked up the laws for NY on your site and for everything you have listed it says unclear. looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you!

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for fun i looked up the laws for NY on your site and for everything you have listed it says unclear. looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you!
The site was created for you to edit if you are interested. If you have information regarding NY firearm law, feel free to login and edit to your heart's content. :thumbsup:

Regardless, yep, plenty of work ahead. Pretty huge task, but I love doing it.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
So anyone can log in to your site and edit that suppressors are legal in NY along with AR -15's that have collapsible stocks, flash suppressors and pistol grips?

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Again I am glad I live in Indiana.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So anyone can log in to your site and edit that suppressors are legal in NY along with AR -15's that have collapsible stocks, flash suppressors and pistol grips?
No.

All edits, submissions, alterations are put into moderation and reviewed. Furthermore, users must provide a source that backs up their edit, such as a government site or document.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts