National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently at an estate sale belonging to the widow of her deceased husband, I bought a heavy barreled Savage in .220 Swift. This is a single shot rifle, weighs about 12 lbs. with a dark walnut stock, white buttplate spacer, swelled and checkered pistol grip with a 26" barrel. It is stamped Model 112 Series J. The rifle looks new. Mounted on the rifle on steel blocks is a Remington Arms Co. Ilion, Il target (?) scope marked 24XBR Serial #501. It has exterior micrometer adjustments for windage and elevation and appears new like the rifle. There were several boxes of unfired cartridges as well as a custom made box for the scope. Being mostly a handgun person, I'm not familiar with bench or long range guns other than reading about them. Would this be considered a classic? The scope I found most interesting as I have many scopes but was never aware that Remington produced their own scope..obviously for a very short period of time. I'm guessing, and it's just a guess that this scope and rifle was made in the 60's or 70's. Savage1.JPG

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
Beautiful looking rifle! I think they were made in the 70's.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,970 Posts

·
Léitheoir
154 Posts
That's a cool rifle. Good find!

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
My neighbor has a 220 swift Ruger with a unertl scope on it. He said he has taken some game at 600 yards with it. It's a sweet setup.

·
AZHerper
3,746 Posts
Really nice combo. Should produce some lovely long range target groups. When I was young, the 220 Swift was the only commercial cartridge capable of more than 4,000 fps muzzle velocities. As I'm sure most of you know, this cartridge was derived from the 6 mm Lee Navy.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
the 112 is not a classic...........
the Swift caliber is a classic.......its star is fading..........

the total package is a classic example of a good ole' boy benchrest rig.....fun at the local and area competitions...where 80% of the competition is about the skills and 20% an equipment race.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Classics older than 20 years my definition of "Classic" as far as guns and cars So YES 220 swift just adds to the definition.

·
AZHerper
3,746 Posts
If it's not a "classic", why do I keep coming back just to look at it, I would guess that the combo is worth around $2K. I sure wouldn't part with it for less than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most likely part with it.

If it's not a "classic", why do I keep coming back just to look at it, I would guess that the combo is worth around $2K. I sure wouldn't part with it for less than that.
As I mentioned earlier on, I bought this for it's uniqueness and with future intentions of selling the package. I'm mostly a handgun person, but I thought this outfit was just too unique to pass up what I thought was a reasonable price. I am going to shoot it a few times this summer and then list it for sale on one of the gun sites. I've never shot this style of rifle, nor have I ever used a 24X scope. I guess when all is said and done, it's how old one is that makes for something to be a classic.

·
AZHerper
3,746 Posts
As I mentioned earlier on, I bought this for it's uniqueness and with future intentions of selling the package. I'm mostly a handgun person, but I thought this outfit was just too unique to pass up what I thought was a reasonable price. I am going to shoot it a few times this summer and then list it for sale on one of the gun sites. I've never shot this style of rifle, nor have I ever used a 24X scope. I guess when all is said and done, it's how old one is that makes for something to be a classic.
Gadzooks! If that's true, I'm not only a classic...I'm an antique! :wink5:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts