National Gun Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,011 Posts
If you think about the old term "dueling pistols", they referred to flintlock pistols and later on revolvers. So the term pistol can be used to describe a revolver or other type of handgun. Just my 2¢ .

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
there is more slang.........
rod
hardware
heater
hog leg
gat..............

personally i think i like the term "Roscoe".............

i feel like some black and white NOIR movies for this weekend..........

or maybe not!!!

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
What's a better man stopper 9mm or 45 acp? What is a better truck? Ford or Chevy? Seams like this post is turning into a debate post.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm annoyed by the word clip in reference to a magazine. But, I can't complain, I've also been known to use that term myself at times, just because it's easy.

The entomology of the words is moot because as mentioned the science has changed, improvements have been made, and time marches on. We need to have more precise descriptions of items these days. Guns are no exception.

Emery/ Full Metal Jacket - This is my rifle, this is my gun, this for fighting, this is for fun.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As far as I can see, most modern regulations regard "pistols" and "revolvers" as two distinct sets of handguns.

However, in Wild West times and beyond, revolvers have been regarded as pistols, and honestly: What else should they be?

View attachment 115281

Is there an argument to declare an ancient flintlock muzzle-loading pistol and a modern semi-automatic pistol to be more closely related to each other, than either is to a revolver?

I think the explanation for the current usage is:

1. Historically and logically, a revolver is a pistol.
2. BUT: As semi-automatic pistols became the default (and almost only) version of pistols used, for simplicity the term "pistol" became assigned exclusively to them. So, for practical reasons, revolvers are no longer regarded as pistols, as otherwise you need more terms to be distinctive!

Do you agree? Or is there a design-related, meaningful answer to the italic question above?
I believe the news agencys needed something more threatening to call a semi auto

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion, a handgun is a pistol. Then from there, the pistol is either a revolver, an automatic, a bolt action, etc, depending on the action type.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts