National Gun Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Shot placement helps, this is true. Yet imo I don't truly believe if its the key factor in stopping the threat. What people don't understand or think of is FtF n FtE, misses, adrenaline, nerves, now a days there's more then one doing the harm / killing, time / speed when drawing, not trained to aim n fire under stress or even when moving, or even how to shoot from behind cover or when to pull your firearm. Training - safety, training to use your firearm in self defense, target practicing, and shot placement all seem to me to be the circle of stopping a threat.

Yet there are millions of people each year defending themselves their family and others with firearms, to which most (not all) have had none of this training. Each instance was different and same will be for each of us (pray it never happens). Not all were stopped with shot placement. With some all it took to defuse the situation is the aggressor seeing the firearm. Others was imo caliber. Some it took five or six rounds and the treat ran or dropped. Others round two. Few have had to shoot more the 15 though these shootings were very very rare from what I'm told. Finding the data on all these will be hard to say the least.

Still I do not want anyone telling me how many THEY feel safe with me carrying. Especially when there are lots of cops in the news unloading two, three, four plus magazines at people.Not saying every cop does this though we do hear of these instances when pravda wants us to know.
Heck one instance pops up - just some months ago they were unloading through their windshield and mag changes with their service pistol and an AR. Through a residentail neighboorhood no less.
Where's the call, the out cry for police to be limited to seven rounds or to switch back to revolvers? Ya not goin to happen because the sheep / NPCs believe its for their safety.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Barney only carried one cartridge and he kept it in his shirt pocket for emergencies.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
Yeah but Barney lived in 1950's Mayberry, not 2020 in Baltimore.

Reactions: Dirt Bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to think 6-7 round is enough until I watched hundreds, maybe a thousand real vids of acts involving guns (on Active Self Protection). Now, I carry a P365 with 12 rounds. I don't think I could go back to 6-7 rounds even if I had an extra mag or two.

·
Barney
107 Posts
Do you think that having only five or six rounds in your gun would cause one to be more careful and precise with shot placement under stress than someone having more rounds to rely on, shooting a semi auto with a higher capacity mag? Just for discussion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you think that having only five or six rounds in your gun would cause one to be more careful and precise with shot placement under stress than someone having more rounds to rely on, shooting a semi auto with a higher capacity mag? Just for discussion.
Since the first person who puts his shot on target wins, it doesn't matter if you have 1, 6, or 15 bullets. Shot placement is always important. However, there could be more than one BG, perhaps there are two or three BGs. Perhaps you will need to shoot through glass, maybe you have malfunction and need to rack the slide, etc. So, more ammo could be needed in these situations.

·
Aim true !
10,307 Posts
If your in a situation where the BG is behind a glass door/window. You should have time to get out of dodge. Unless your unable to move fast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Statistically, not only is six shots enough, it's more than enough for MOST situations. Back before the auto pistol craze began in the mid-80s, everybody owned and believed in revolvers. A good 4" Model 19 (S&W that is) was a thing of beauty! Compact, light-sort of, with 6 rounds of .357 magnum resting menacingly in those chambers ready to fly! The Highway Patrol carried .357 magnums with those fancy, conical "pointed" bullets used to "shoot through engine blocks" stuck in loops on their belt...we KNEW the Highway Patrol was nothing but supermen who carried guns made to stop the Earth's rotation!
Ruger single-actions used to abound....357 magnum, not the .45 Colt as is now common. My first purchase was Ruger Blackhawk .357 with 4-5/8ths inch barrel for $112 from Gibsons department store (they were around before WalMart showed up). Over the next decade bought pretty much one of everything with a cylinder - more Ruger SA's, S&W, Taurus M65 and 66, Ruger Redhawk when 7.5" was the ONLY choice - chopped it down to 2.5" at some point. Dan Wesson .357 mag AND the .44 Mag I used to compete in Hunter class silhouette. I remember my brother showing up with a Colt Agent, then a Charter Arms .38 "snubbie" and we KNEW life could get no better! I actually ended up in a road-side altercation where I used that Charter Arms 5-shot "snubbie" to resolve a dispute that - like MOST "gun situations" ended without any bullets fired - I was young and stupid back then.

Then came the auto pistol wave and we've gone whole-hog over the cliff, landed at the bottom and washed down the river over it! EVERYBODY thinks they NEED an auto pistol whether they do or not! Manufacturers are making a fortune off consumer demand for auto pistols - I guess that's a good thing considering all the really neat autos available, but....are they NEEDED? No, almost certainly the answer for anyone NOT in police work is No. This by definition means six shots is more likely than not more than adequate. Granted, anyone can leap up and start making up a counter-factual scenario filled with what-ifs, and of course there will ALWAYS be someone who so seriously relates a PERSONAL encounter - someone else had where had he not been carrying a Glock 17 with 12 spare 33 round mags "he wouldn't be here today". Okay.

MOST people today would be light-years better off carrying a revolver for SD. If they are so sure they'll need to reload...carry TWO revolvers! That's 10-12 shots without reloading! Charter Arms makes an ultralight "38 snubbie" that weighs 12 ounces empty - two only weigh 24 ounces which is lighter still than many polymer frame 9mm automatics! For the weight penalty of a 1911 steel frame you could carry three Charter Arms "snubbies"! But you really only need ONE. I own a brace of M642s - yep, two, one for each pocket! I own a M43C - 8 shots of .22LR that I DEFY any human to accept to the face and keep up their mean streak! Throw in my CA Bulldog...SERIOUS power - 350 lb-ft of energy power! A Taurus M605 - beautiful little all steel .357 that only weighs 24 ounces! I have a Taurus M65 Stainless but by today's standards it's "YHUGE" though it's still lighter than a 1911! My latest carry revo is a S&W M360 that weighs a scant 14.5 ounces and carries FIVE all-business .357 magnum rounds peeking out - looking for trouble! I'm sure if I ever have to shoot it with no glove on I'll end up with a broken hand! I even had an old Webley-Scott .38 that's surprisingly small and light AND uses the finest system of loading ever devised - break-action!

Here's the bottom line. The "manual of arms" for a Revolver is: "Point (aim for snooties), yank the trigger (pull smoothly for snooties)"! If the first round fails to fire - REPEAT! You can SEE the gun is loaded without ever touching it. Lightweight revolvers are small and as light as the lightest pocket pistols. Revolvers don't care if you have a good grip...they'll forgive you and keep functioning anyway. They don't care if you jam them against some creep's sternum...they'll never go out of battery on you! Revolvers don't care if someone is struggling to grab them from your hand - as long as you can point that baby their way, YANK THAT TRIGGER- QUICK! A revolver never needs to be chambered, nor have the thumb safety applied or removed, and the DA mechanism makes it extremely difficult to accidentally pull the trigger. They incorporate firing pin block or transfer bars that make them bone-solid SAFE against dropping. You can leave a revolver in your car, purse, dog house, under the pillow, FOREVER and it will come out and go bang...forget the oil, forget magazine springs, recoil springs and all that gobbledigook!

I once sat down and created a comparison between revolvers and autos to determine (without personal bias or some made-up rationalization) which is BETTER for concealed carry and self defense (not going into a firefight) and the Revolver scores so much higher it's nearly impossible to ever consider carrying a semiautomatic for purely defensive purposes...and I'm a shooter with over 50 years experience both shooting and loading! Then comes ammo....if an auto misfires...you must know what to do - quickly. Even a DA only gives you a second or millionth chance to fire THAT round. A revolver simply goes to a FRESH round! Otherwise, get ready to die when that auto goes "click" and the bad guy's revolver goes BANG!

As for how many shots you'll need...go on YouTube and watch the huge variety of actual shooting videos caught on camera and take particular note of those situations where a person was using a gun in purely self-defense where the action unfolded at arm's length or in full body contact...make sure to watch the ones where the guy pulls his auto and THEN tries to chamber it....he died. Make sure to watch the one where the BAD guy pulled the trigger, THEN tried to chamber his auto...he didn't win that altercation. Make sure to watch the one where the woman shoots the bad guy point blank in the chest before he blocks her arm away (likely jamming the pistol) and takes her to the ground in a struggle for the gun...before he ran. Where REAL self defense situations are GOING TO UNFOLD for most of us...the revolver makes sense as the primary choice. I have YET to see a video where the guy pulls his auto and stands upright banging away at a bad guy 25 yards away...or even 10 yards away! All while the bad guy is just standing there, overwhelmed by the magnificence of the "prepared defender"!

Do I carry autos...sure I do, generally as my secondary armament in an off-body solution - along with a dozen mags, though I do sometimes carry on body. These days I usually carry a light, compact, smooth surfaced, 5-shot revolver...and in 50 years I can count the number of firefights I've been in (outside of the military) on NO hand....the number is "0". The odds of being in a shooting situation is extremely low to begin with, and can be further mitigated by where one chooses to go, maintaining situational awareness, and realizing the gun is the LAST option, not the first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's the problem with what's mentioned above: Not all incidents require 6 shots or less. What if your incident is one of those that requires more than 6 shots. Are you willing to take the risk of only carrying 6 shots? That being said, the chance of you EVER having a shooting incident is very low. But, if it ever does, are you as prepared as much as you can be?

·
Registered
741 Posts
and realizing the gun is the LAST option, not the first.

This, with SA, sometimes you can evade or de-escalate, using an EDC light, especially one over 400 lumens, when it's dark. Anybody drunk or drugged will take a few seconds to get their sight back,
a rapid "exit, stage left!" can avoid a bad situation entirely. Never heard of a civil case, yet, where somebody got charged for temporarily blinding somebody.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I often refer to F.B.I both in studies and "PRACTICAL" F.B.I says 3 rounds but every F.B.I shoot out I know of like Bonnie/Clyde, Miami and a few others 1000`s of rounds were expended just from "Law Enforcement" so if the F.B.I says 3 and they send 1000`s Study that fact perhaps like the rest of us NO ONE HAS A CLUE........At current where/when I can 10+ rounds all times when challenged schools, work, church and anti gun establishments it is less smaller package deep concealment. With 2-3 extra mags just me but no one can answer that ridonkulous Question how many rounds is needed for personal defense? As many as it takes to get me clear or ends the threat.

I stand be hind it 100% no changes do to situations (Anti-Gunners) or places guns are frowned on 6 rounds my be my only choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A person never knows if their fight is going to fall within the statistical norms or not.. with that in mind, I do not base my methodology on bare minimums. Still, I think it is important to know where the statistical norm falls so that you insure that you are at least answering the common model.

I most often carry 13 in the gun and 13 in my pocket. I will not pretend that I do not sometimes find myself carrying a 5 shot j frame.. I do.

Is six round enough? Based on historical models.. I would say that it Probably is.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A person never knows if their fight is going to fall within the statistical norms or not.. with that in mind, I do not base my methodology on bare minimums. Still, I think it is important to know where the statistical norm falls so that you insure that you are at least answering the common model.

I most often carry 13 in the gun and 13 in my pocket. I will not pretend that I do not sometimes find myself carrying a 5 shot j frame.. I do.

Is six round enough? Based on historical models.. I would say that it Probably is.
Probably is also means might not.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
My EDC for the last two years is G26.3 with 31-rd magazine (now with an additional 31-rd magazine) of Sellier&Bellot 115-gr FMJ in Vertx EDC Transit Sling 2.0 pack with two Level IIIA Kevlar panels made by Premier Body Armor, which cover the whole torso, when unfolded. Under current circumstances I seriously consider two more spare magazines.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's the problem with what's mentioned above: Not all incidents require 6 shots or less. What if your incident is one of those that requires more than 6 shots. Are you willing to take the risk of only carrying 6 shots? That being said, the chance of you EVER having a shooting incident is very low. But, if it ever does, are you as prepared as much as you can be?
No one is "as prepared as they can be," no matter what they carry. It is all about your own personal assessment of risk management. The vast majority of people don't carry at all and do fine. The vast majority who carry never need it. For those that need it, 0 - 3 shots does it in the vast majority of cases, for non-LEOs, even with multiple assailants.

The comparison I like to make is with fire extinguishers. Do you have your typical 2.5 pound "home" extinguishers in your house? Why not professional 30 pounders? 50? 100? 250? For a law abiding citizen, a house fire is as likely to kill you as a gunfight. Are you as prepared as you can be? Nobody ever fought a serious fire and said, "I wish I had a smaller extinguisher!" But of course, fire extinguishers don't get the testosterone flowing like guns do.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
in that case though......he was limited to 5 shots......problem solved......but he could not keep his mouth shut..... If he had a 9mm and let loose a dozen shots and made that same statement, he would had probably been convicted on the first round and may still be in prison.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
in that case though......he was limited to 5 shots......problem solved......but he could not keep his mouth shut..... If he had a 9mm and let loose a dozen shots and made that same statement, he would had probably been convicted on the first round and may still be in prison.
I doubt. You forgot that it was the real America.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.