National Gun Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I conceal carry a Glock 42. I want to know if there has ever been a sudy or research done where 5 or 6 rounds proved to be not enough ammo in a situation where a weapon was pulled out for protection. I am wondering how rare or common some one needed more then 5 or 6 rounds?

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Most "gun fights" are over with just a couple of rounds. With that said there are many where more are needed or have been used. So many factors play into it. How many bad guys, how good a shot you are in the situation etc.

·
AZHerper
3,735 Posts
There is no "right" answer! However, in an emergency situation where your life or that others is in imminent danger, massive statistics indicate that 6 rounds would be more than enough. I feel plenty safe with five. And, don't ask me where I came up with "massive statistics".

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
having a reliable trusted handgun that you can easily conceal and enables you to "never leave home without it".....and able to score hits consistently......is far more important than extended capacity in my opinion....

5 or 6 rounds is fine by me with my revolvers......

ask a 1911 guy and he will tell you 8......a glock 27 man and he will tell you 9.....and so on and so on.......they accept the ammo capacity limitations of the platform chosen......

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,271 Posts
If done correctly, you need one round for each bad guy encountered.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
But with a huge adrenaline dump, that might not be easily accomplished. Better ti have more than you need and bring some home as opposed to needing more and they're sitting at home.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I carry 10+1 in my carry gun with a spare 10rd mag for a total of 21 rounds. The average self defense scenario is over in a few second, only uses a few rounds, so on. But I don't carry to prepare for the average, I carry to prepare for the exceptionally bad, and to that end, I prefer to have extra ammo. Afterall, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
I watch a lot of these guys vids and tend to find out that I agree with them on their views. Go to the 24.5 mark

Reactions: Dirt Bike

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I often refer to F.B.I both in studies and "PRACTICAL" F.B.I says 3 rounds but every F.B.I shoot out I know of like Bonnie/Clyde, Miami and a few others 1000`s of rounds were expended just from "Law Enforcement" so if the F.B.I says 3 and they send 1000`s Study that fact perhaps like the rest of us NO ONE HAS A CLUE........At current where/when I can 10+ rounds all times when challenged schools, work, church and anti gun establishments it is less smaller package deep concealment. With 2-3 extra mags just me but no one can answer that ridonkulous Question how many rounds is needed for personal defense? As many as it takes to get me clear or ends the threat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personal scenarios five or six is probably enough. Instances of mass shooting you may be trapped in like say the theater in Colorado where the shooter may be 25 or 30 yards away, well 6 rounds may not be near enough. Plan for the worst, you can always take them home.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Thank you, all 3 video's very informative and thought provoking.
You're welcome. Thing is no one can tell you how much YOU need to defend yourself or others. There is no real number to prove how many is "sufficient", seeing every situation is and WILL be different. So for someone to tell YOU how much is "acceptable" in THEIR thinking to protect YOUR (not theirs or even their family members) life is daunting to relish.

·
Barney
107 Posts
My own personal opinion based on what I consider a realistic scenario for me, considering my lifestyle and based on the fact that I just like wheelguns. Ten rounds. In my imagined confrontation with an armed assailant, five rounds will get me and mine out of the fireing line, behind cover, or through the exit. Reload, and I have whatever I had left and five more to put more distance between me and my assailant and discourage pursuit. Now my imaginary scenario I'm getting the heck out of there and not sticking around. If my imagined scenario was that I'm going to save my fellow man by going toe to toe with someone bent on shooting up the place with an AK, and I'm going to pull my pistol and fight to the death, I need a lot more than ten rounds. Lucky for me, I only need ten.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Just proves you can't predict or prepare for every single scenario. You just have to do the best you can which in most cases is carrying a gun and a spare mag......or 10.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.