National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Léitheoir
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about camping this summer. (Its what I do when I'm stuck at home.)

I've got a 12 Gauge Mossberg 590 which I'm sure would work with slugs, I'm just curious if bringing the other one would even be worth it?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,273 Posts
Is 5.56 suitable as bear defense?

No. Definitely not.

As River pointed out, I'd go with the shotgun loaded with slugs and hope you don't have to use it.

·
Léitheoir
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shotgun with slugs would be my first choice.....I'd hate to have to find out with either.
Indeed. I keep food away from camp and do everything I can to avoid a negative encounter. I like bears...from a distance.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,273 Posts
Generally bears will avoid contact with humans. EXCEPT when momma is protecting her cubs, then all bets are off.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wouldn't rely on a 5.56 for bear defense, it would take way too many rounds to be remotely effective. A 12ga slug would have plenty of kinetic energy, it's just a question of whether or not it would penetrate deep enough. A good heavy-hitting handgun might serve you better, loaded with higher grain hard cast bullets, ideally.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,273 Posts
Use the shotgun with slugs, it really hits like a sledgehammer. You can eventually stop it with a 5.56mm /.223 Rem., but the 12 gauge is the better stopper.

Eventually may only be a few seconds.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Black bears aren't much harder to kill than deer. Except that deer won't eat you.

12 ga with Brenekke slugs will be more effective than the 5.56 for bears and will equally put down Mikey Methhead and his buddies should they be out and about looking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Nope on the 5.56. 12Ga slug next best.
But I carry my .44 mag Henry when I am in bear country.
And the .50 cal wheel gun as a backup.
Or just go camping with a fat, slow friend then it doesn't matter what you are packing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thinking about camping this summer. (Its what I do when I'm stuck at home.)

I've got a 12 Gauge Mossberg 590 which I'm sure would work with slugs, I'm just curious if bringing the other one would even be worth it?
Shotgun with slugs is better, but an AR with a mag full of FMJ will flatten any animal in north America including a polar bear if we're being honest. Just don't expect it to go down after 1 shot, even if it's in the head.

Bears have an undeserved reputation in regards to Interweb folk lore. In all reality, a 300lb pig is harder to kill than a 500lb black bear, and nobody seems to think twice about shooting pigs with a 5.56 where I'm from. I've killed pigs in the 200lb range with a Ruger 10-22 multiple times on my uncle's property in Mexico, and not with head shots either. You pop most animals 4-5 times broad side with 22, and they don't last any longer than if you smack them with a round of 00 buck.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Once you have one stand up 10' from you at O dark thirty you will realize that nothing is going to work unless it's in your hands and ready to rock ' roll.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Shotgun with slugs is better, but an AR with a mag full of FMJ will flatten any animal in north America including a polar bear if we're being honest. Just don't expect it to go down after 1 shot, even if it's in the head.
As fast as bears are, you may not get a chance for a follow up shot, better make the first one count. I don't want a rifle where I have to empty a mag to down the predator.

·
Léitheoir
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thinking I'll just grab a couple boxes of this.

Hoping to camp Montana, Wyoming, or the Black Hills at some point this year.

My Larval Human will be nearly 2 by summer time. Plenty old for camping.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts