National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently began shooting rifles, well... air rifles, and ran into a certain issue; I suck at making tight groupings, or groupings at all for that matter. However, I'm a very determined sort so I've been practicing with the iron sight on my Ruger Blackhawk; thanks to that, today I managed to hit a 1 ft by 1/2 ft target at 43 yards from an unsupported standing position about seven out of every ten shots. I realize, of course, that for a noobie that's probably OK, but for a rifleman that's trash. I was using Crosman Destroyer pellets which are hollow point and weigh in at 7.9 grams. The thing is that I have no idea what the standards are for accuracy with air rifles or for pellets at 7.9 grams. So my question is, assuming perfect conditions in an unsupported standing position, at what distance should I be able to hit a squirrel sized target with the iron sights on my Blackhawk before I could be considered accurate? Also, what ammunition is best used for target practice, or is using my destroyer pellets acceptable being as they'll be what I actually shoot when on pest control?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
Continue with your practicing.

Here's a hint - Aim small, hit small.

That means, don't aim for the squirrel. Don't aim for the squirrel's head. Aim for the squirrel's right eye.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! I really like that advice, but I think I would rather aim for his right acorn. I will definitely apply that to my target practice tomorrow and I look forward to the results. Any ideas on what range I should be able to hit that squirrel's right eye at?

·
Irish Member
276 Posts
Go big or go home. Try for 1,000 yards. Lmfao. I'm joking ya.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Google around for how to use a sling as an accuracy aid.

Try to get a .22, they are more accurate and consistant than pellet guns.
I wish I could, but it seems that I can't discharge a rifle in my yard because my city has a law against the discharge of rifles within city limits. Henceforth the air rifle, it can be discharged within city limits. Obviously it's not as accurate as a larger caliber rifle that fires bullets as opposed to led pellets, but my hands are tied here. As for the sling, I'll look around, but I don't think I can attach a sling to my rifle. Then again I'm just a greenhorn so I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wish I could, but it seems that I can't discharge a rifle in my yard because my city has a law against the discharge of rifles within city limits. Henceforth the air rifle, it can be discharged within city limits. Obviously it's not as accurate as a larger caliber rifle that fires bullets as opposed to led pellets, but my hands are tied here.
I too live in the city, and cannot discharge a firearm in city limits. The pellet gun is good for practicing skill's like how to hold, and safely be around a firearm, you can get accurate with one too. A good pellet gun is a costly endever... Use a sling! If your shooting unsupported a properly used sling is amazing.

I highly suggest looking at the Benjamin Marauder in .22 or the preferable .25. They are not the best around(priced accordingly) but is highly accurate for a pellet gun, packs punch too, you will have no problem with pest control.

Don't for get the sling :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too live in the city, and cannot discharge a firearm in city limits. The pellet gun is good for practicing skill's like how to hold, and safely be around a firearm, you can get accurate with one too. A good pellet gun is a costly endever... Use a sling! If your shooting unsupported a properly used sling is amazing.

I highly suggest looking at the Benjamin Marauder in .22 or the preferable .25. They are not the best around(priced accordingly) but is highly accurate for a pellet gun, packs punch too, you will have no problem with pest control.

Don't for get the sling :)
I took a look at the .25 you recommended and it looks to be leaps and bounds better than my Blackhawk, which makes sense being as the Blackhawk was only $100. The thing is I don't see sling mounts which means, as far as I can tell, that I would need to drill into the butt of the rifle. I can do that if need be but would prefer not to. If you have a sling in mind I would greatly appreciate your recommendation, preferably one that would work for the Blackhawk and the Benjamin, but either or would be great too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The marauder .25 rifle does have sling mounting points, one on the butt stock and one one the barrel shroud, The .22 should but I don't know for sure. To use a sling for accuracy you only need the forward mount. The marauder while a bit pricey is an extremely capable rifle. With great accuracy (I mean great!) some people have used it on small game/pigs/dogs. It can really reach out there too. There are other specific models' just as capable and better but I don't have any experience with them.

this video

Show how a sling is used on an M1. The idea is the exact same on any rifle. The little gloves he use's is optional. There are other way's to wrap the sling around your hand and forearm to gain stability. I prefer cotton sling's myself, as I do a lot of shooting without gloves. Nylon last's longer but is more abrasive on bare hands, leather is a pain in the butt IMO.

I don't know squat about your specific rifle, Google and youtube would be more helpful on how to do it with your rifles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As you continue practicing the range will increase.
I'm sure, but I don't think the rifle can accommodate long range iron sight shots. I say this because even at 43 yds ,with the elevation set as low as possible, I have to aim 1.5 ft above my target from an uphill position to hit it.

@TacticalNERD

I checked out the video and I definitely want to try that out. Once I save up some money I think I'll purchase that Benjamin .25 and a sling for it; I'll see what I can do about a sling for my rifle. Thanks for the tips, I didn't know you could do that with a sling,

·
55,432 Posts
I'm sure, but I don't think the rifle can accommodate long range iron sight shots. I say this because even at 43 yds ,with the elevation set as low as possible, I have to aim 1.5 ft above my target from an uphill position to hit it.
In that case, practice at 25 yards until you can hit the 'acorn' every time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In that case, practice at 25 yards until you can hit the 'acorn' every time.
Well, I'm not happy with it but I guess that's about the limit of this rifle, it was only 100$. Hopefully, when I mount the scope again I can do longer range shots. Oh well, thanks Popeye. Definitely going to upgrade to a more powerful air rifle, or better yet a 'real rifle' so to speak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish I could, but it seems that I can't discharge a rifle in my yard because my city has a law against the discharge of rifles within city limits. Henceforth the air rifle, it can be discharged within city limits. Obviously it's not as accurate as a larger caliber rifle that fires bullets as opposed to led pellets, but my hands are tied here. As for the sling, I'll look around, but I don't think I can attach a sling to my rifle. Then again I'm just a greenhorn so I'm probably wrong.
I use my Marlin in the city with Aguilla Colibri ammo (just has powder in the rim) it's quieter then my pellet gun

·
55,432 Posts
I use my Marlin in the city with Aguilla Colibri ammo (just has powder in the rim) it's quieter then my pellet gun
As do I where I live. But still, I'm in violation of the law when doing so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As Popeye said it's still against the law here. I'm not one who follows a rule just because it's rule, but I have a particularly nosy neighbor who would, without fail, report me even if I was ungodly safe with my operation of it.

·
Registered
282 Posts

@TacticalNERD

I checked out the video and I definitely want to try that out. Once I save up some money I think I'll purchase that Benjamin .25 and a sling for it; I'll see what I can do about a sling for my rifle. Thanks for the tips, I didn't know you could do that with a sling,
The art of the sling is almost forgotten, Ton's of shooter's don't know about it. Works wounder's!

Check out some of the promo video's on the Marauder PCP rifle. I fiddled with and shot a buddies and fell in love. "Almost" takes the place of a .22 rifle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The art of the sling is almost forgotten, Ton's of shooter's don't know about it. Works wounder's!

Check out some of the promo video's on the Marauder PCP rifle. I fiddled with and shot a buddies and fell in love. "Almost" takes the place of a .22 rifle.
Will do, it's just an issue of money; I'm a minor so part time, minimum wage jobs don't exactly adhere well to expensive hobbies. Then again I don't pay the bills so no reason not to save up the money. I appreciate the recommendation and the tips, thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My name has a typo too. I meant to use Road Rash but instead I got Roas Rash. Don't know what kind of rash Roas has but I got mine in a motorcycle wreck long ago.
I shoot with iron sights with my RWS model 48 out to 50 yards and if I don't hit a ground squirrel I surely make em dance as the dust flies. A hit at that distance is a kill with this air gun.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts