National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guys at the gun club invited me to shoot skeet Sunday. I have my 12 ga pump with modified choke, And my 20 ga pump with select choke. What one would be best? I was watching them this eve them clays move fast.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
A shotgun with a skeet choke, which is .005" constriction.
Skeet move the same as American trap - 42 mph - 50% slower than the International version
If you're a decent dove or grouse shooter (which was why skeet as invented) then you'll be fine.
Rule number one - do NOT worry about your score.

Here is an oldie but a goodie; Remington's handbook on skeet basics with tips on holdpoints, etc.

http://masondixonclaybusters.com/uploads/SkeetShootingFundamentalsHandbook.pdf

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok you lost me there lol. It's a mossberg new haven from 42 years ago. It has full modified and improved cyy.

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool thanks. Yeah its for fun. No one is keeping score there. It's at the Zerby gun club. The 4.00 covers the clays and the extra helps the club. They just redid the rifle range and they are putting in a separate pistol range with tactical training set ups. I left the club because they were letting it get run down. Glad they got there act together.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try sporting Clays. You’ll be hooked in one round. Also, within a year, you’ll never miss a live bird. You’d swear real birds slowed way down...

Between rifle pistol shotgun and bow, I’m always shooting something!

Glad to hear the club is on the upswing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Use the IC version, but for more success at clay games, a 12 gauge with a selection of choke tubes will allow you to play trap, skeet, 5-stand, sporting and FITASC

And be forewarned, the clay games get VERY addicting. My one Browning has about 300K rounds through it - all at clay targets - and that is just one of my target shotguns.

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They guy who runs the clays is going to let me shoot some trap too. I was looking at pattern diagrams. My home defense shotgun is open choke. It has fiber optic sights too lol. But that might not have enough reach. 28238157_293375021190949_5781987980115867409_o.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shoot which ever gun you swing and shoot most comfortably. I’d probably grab the new haven.

You’d be fine with #8 shot. I normally shoot 7.5 shot, but I love shooting clays. Skeet you won’t need much carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the new haven i had a long time and always hunted with it. That 20ga took a lot of game.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Don't bring the tactical gun - one, most clubs don't like them, but more importantly - that vertical pistol grip will really hamper your ability to swing on the targets
Remember you are NOT aiming it like a rifle or you will miss everything. Shotguns at moving targets are about pointing and using your eyes, not some glow worm on the barrel

READ that handbook I linked to; it will answer a lot of your questions

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes not taking that lol. That hand book is a great reference. I need to stop at walmart tomorrow and get a brick of 20 ga shells, I thought i had one, It's a brick of 12's. No biggie.

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
Don't do it, Don't do it, Don't do it......Ahhhh go do it but be warned now you're going to have fun and want a entry level $1,000 skeet gun and lose at least one of your weekend days from now on. Buy a shell pouch too, it will make things less cumbersome on the field. Then you'll need a vest and glasses with different colored lenses depending on the sun and what color clays are used and........you get the idea.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a field bag im going to use for the shells. It's what i use for hunting . For now ill wear my prescription glasses they have the photo tinting. The guy who runs it has one of them Tri-star shot guns walmart has. He did have to send it in for repair after 1000's of rounds. But there like Hi-point in turn around time and they sent 2 extra chocks along and some swag for his trouble. There was a discussion on one of the forums about side by sides not being accurate except for close up. One guy there knocked that idea out of the water. He was busting clays like crazy.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i can see the 12 being better with more shot in the shell. There was one there with a 20ga semi-auto he was not doing so well. But i have no idea of what it's choked at or his experience. The gun did not have a select choke or them ones you can exchange.

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
Yeah i can see the 12 being better with more shot in the shell. There was one there with a 20ga semi-auto he was not doing so well. But i have no idea of what it's choked at or his experience. The gun did not have a select choke or them ones you can exchange.
If you're going to get into it you'll want a break action O/U. You don't have to go real big and don't be afraid to buy a decent used gun. using a pump or semi is ok for just starting but it will annoy some shooters or some clubs. Some places you must pick up your hulls and others won't allow it. if you have to pick them up then you'll be holding up the squad you're on or go around after and pick them up which will hold up the next squad of shooters. if it's a busy club it can be a problem. When i got back into trap a couple of years ago i bought a used mossberg turkish made gun. The older ones had some problems but i guess mine was later one. I quickly found out it's a fairly heavy gun which meant tired arms after several rounds. Then i found a decent used Charles daly(again a turkish gun) which seemed to fit me perfect and is much lighter. Cool part was i knew the old owner and he bought it through my dads shop. Anyway just some things to think about....Some guys like to shoot fast and not get held up on the field. They might be a little forgiving the first few times but if you're going to keep doing it you may want to think about what you want to buy.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
You WANT heavy guns for targets - they smooth out your swing better AND they help mitigate recoil - when you're shooting a LOT, recoil is NOT your friend. All one has to do is go to a trap/skeet club and look at all of the old timers shooting guns with release triggers because of the flinch they developed over the years

·
Aim true !
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked my 20 ga shells this am. They did not leave there hulls lay. I hate when folks do out at the bush shooting spots. I got the brass bottom hulls. I remember my neighbor saying he had issues with the aluminum ones getting stuck. Because the ejector would tear the the edge.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
19,929 Posts
"And be forewarned, the clay games get VERY addicting."

None of the clay-busting events is supportable on a "beer diet". Hit yer banks ATM before you hit the range. Shells, charge per shooting round and tips to the "thrower" all have costs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts