National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jockey On Ya Back
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm new here obviously, i actually don't know if it's against the rules for someone my age to be here (15, 16 in august) but i hope it is. let me first say, i'm not like alot of teens hyped up on COD and all that (i do play them but i know it's all misinformation) and i'm also not the type that's just going to run out on my 18th birthday and purchase an arsenal on credit with almost no training or knowledge whatsoever.

so now thats out of the way, i'd like to know if there are firearms that would suit me(i'm sure there are). i guess i'll go a "bullet-point" style list(i know that was a pretty bad pun yeh?)

Rifle Type Firearm(all i can get untill i'm 21):

(in no particular order. i'm rating most of these on a 1-100 scale)

1. price, i can't handle a 2, 3, 4 thousand dollar gun, $1000 or less, preferably under $600

2. reliability, 80+

3. ammo abundance/price, abundance 70+ price 60+

4. accuracy, 85+ (GUN ACCURACY not counting for user's skill)

5. clip size/type, at least 10 round detachable magazine standard(comes with the gun)

6. action/fire type, semi auto is preferable, but bolt/lever/pump action (is there a pump rifle?) is ok

7. effective range, 1000yds, but it's not probable on low budget so 500yds (stock/light-medium mods) will suffice

other, this should be something that is adaptable and can be used in multiple situations for multiple things, like one moment i'm long range shooting(high zoom scope, long barrel, bipod etc.), 20-30 seconds later it's set up for assault(holo sight, 16 inch barrel, foregrip etc.) so i think it should be a highly modifiable platform with maybe some way to do a "quick swap barrel system" to switch from the 16" to like a 22"+ barrel to go from CQB to poppin' melons at 500yds+ so it probably shouldn't use 5.56 or 7.62X39 ammo, but it probably also shouldn't use something long range only like .50BMG or .416 barrett, maybe 7.62X51 or something similar, it's been used in assault type rifles like the FN-FAL, m-14, and galil(i think), but also in long range rifles/snipers like the Dragunov SVD and such, i've also heard that 7.62x51 is the same as .308 but i'm not sure, also if there is a better round that fits more to what is needed/to the other criteria then that should be used.

BASICALLY, what would best suit this criteria, gun and cartridge/ammo but if one gun fits better but a different round that doesn't match that gun fits better, list them separately, or list a gun that's as close as possible that can be re-chambered for said round for as little as possible, i don't really know how to say it so i hope everyone understands.

started: around 10ish PM eastern US time
completed: 11:15 PM eastern US time​

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Greetings and Salutations.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
That's quite some fantasy you've got going there.

Now let's talk some reality here.

You are not going to be shooting at any distance even approaching 1000 yards for quite some time.
Because, first you need to learn how to shoot. Learning how to shoot costs time and money.
Therefore, your first rifle should, probably, be a bolt-action .22 rifle. Its not cool and it won't get the girls. It won't even show up on COD, but it is inexpensive to shoot and is a perfect platform on which to learn.

·
Jockey On Ya Back
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's quite some fantasy you've got going there.

Now let's talk some reality here.

You are not going to be shooting at any distance even approaching 1000 yards for quite some time.
Because, first you need to learn how to shoot. Learning how to shoot costs time and money.
Therefore, your first rifle should, probably, be a bolt-action .22 rifle. Its not cool and it won't get the girls. It won't even show up on COD, but it is inexpensive to shoot and is a perfect platform on which to learn.
so a ruger 10-22 yeh? i just want to know if there even is something that would fit that type of description. and i know there is a learning curve to everything. and i'm not looking for a firearm to get girls, i could care less about that, but you are definitely right about it not being in COD, or and firearms associated video game i've played for that matter.

also would maybe a 9mm rifle be better? i personally don't like the uselessness/underpoweredness(this is opinion) of the .22 from what i've seen on videos-movies-tv etc. and what i've heard from people who used it before.

·
1,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A 22 is a great rifle to start out with and learn shooting fundamentals with. My 10/22 is one of the guns I will never part with. Not to mention cheap to shoot all day long.

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,296 Posts
first question... where are "you" going to buy a gun at your age? Most states require at least 16 and some 18 years old.
second,, I agree that a 22 bolt action would be a wise choice it would IMO give you more time between shots rather than just pumping out lead,
a 10/22 is semi auto and altho a very good gun for learning to shoot you stand more of a chance of just firing away than actually taking time to target

·
Jockey On Ya Back
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
first question... where are "you" going to buy a gun at your age? Most states require at least 16 and some 18 years old.
second,, I agree that a 22 bolt action would be a wise choice it would IMO give you more time between shots rather than just pumping out lead,
a 10/22 is semi auto and although a very good gun for learning to shoot you stand more of a chance of just firing away than actually taking time to target
i said i was 15 almost 16, this is just being proactive, when it comes to stuff i care about/want to do etc. i like to be proactive, and i live in Florida, pretty sure it's 18 here, for some reason time seems to be moving by fast lately for me.

anyway, i see everyone replying says to get a .22 rifle to start with. but i just personally don't see .22 as a respectable, useful cartridge. i know all guns are dangerous, even toy guns, but a .22 from what i've seen is too low powered, and too small. should i perhaps start with a 9mm or .45 ACP rifle because of this? or is the .22 actually not as bad as i think.

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
Has nothing to do with "respect" or "power", its about rifle discipline which you have none. Start with the 22LR and learn the basics of shooting. Safety, Loading, aiming, cleaning the firearm, holding the firearm, breathing, the types of ammunition offered for that rifle and usage, distance, etc., etc., etc. Look to take a hunters training course if you can. The 22LR is a good cartridge and has its purpose, its not to be snubbed off because of its size. Practice with the 22LR rifle, get the basics down pat, and then move to a larger caliber rifle. You just don't hop into a large caliber rifle right off the bat, especially if you never fired a rifle before. Might as well lump yourself into that group that you said you were not a part of, if this is your thinking. You asked and people here gave informative answers. What you tend to do with these answers is up to you.

Reactions: olhippy and DPM

·
Retired Navy Veteran
27 Posts
I have several pistols, but find my .22 is the one that will give me the most shots for the dollar, and gives me the best practice I can get. After shooting a 100 rounds or more int he .22, I shift over to one of the larger caliber pistols I have just to keep my skill level up with them. The .22 is much more cost effective for training, and helps me keep my bad habits down to a minimum, and still have money left over for next time.

·
Jesus Saves
8,055 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My only advice is to listen to the experience, and then act, in a responsible manner. Too often, a lack of experience creates future disappointments and or tragedies.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Hmmmmmmm Ok consider this

Pre sandy hook pricing

.45acp= .46 each
9mm = .10 each
22lr = .03 each

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
so a ruger 10-22 yeh? i just want to know if there even is something that would fit that type of description. and i know there is a learning curve to everything. and i'm not looking for a firearm to get girls, i could care less about that, but you are definitely right about it not being in COD, or and firearms associated video game i've played for that matter.

also would maybe a 9mm rifle be better? i personally don't like the uselessness/underpoweredness(this is opinion) of the .22 from what i've seen on videos-movies-tv etc. and what i've heard from people who used it before.
A .22 is NOT useless nor underpowered. It has terminal ballistics at ranges of a hundred yards or more and maintains energy enough to travel over one mile. It may not be a one shot stopper but make no mistake, a .22 is no toy.

The firearm you are looking for, you will never find in your price range. the optics alone suitable for 1000 yards cost more.
An AR-10 in .308 would be your best bet IMO for your particular needs. Look at the Browning M-1000 in .300 WIN magnum, the .300 mag will travel 1000 yards with a little more energy and less drop than a .308, base price for the rifle alone is right around $1500 or so, but if you want a 1000 yard gun, you're gonna be paying a lot more than you expect to.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
i said i was 15 almost 16, this is just being proactive, when it comes to stuff i care about/want to do etc. i like to be proactive, and i live in Florida, pretty sure it's 18 here, for some reason time seems to be moving by fast lately for me.

anyway, i see everyone replying says to get a .22 rifle to start with. but i just personally don't see .22 as a respectable, useful cartridge. i know all guns are dangerous, even toy guns, but a .22 from what i've seen is too low powered, and too small. should i perhaps start with a 9mm or .45 ACP rifle because of this? or is the .22 actually not as bad as i think.
Your young and thats OK, but listen to what these guys are telling you. You think a .22 is a wimpy round, ask the millions of squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, snakes and even the occasional whitetail that has been taken with a .22 and see what their answer is. You want a 9mm or .45acp---fine. Let me know after you get frustrated with them and I`ll buy them off you at .20cents on the dollar. Good luck

Reactions: DPM

·
Registered
734 Posts
Listen to the others and get a bolt action .22 of some sort. I'd personally suggest a savage, they're very accurate, readily available guns that can be had for less than $300 with a cheap scope (At least pre-scare). Learn the fundamentals and build from there.

You can't afford a rifle capable of shooting 1000 yards, and you sure as hell can't afford the glass or ammo. But just for fun, check out the LaRue OBR in 7.62. Travis Haley used it to get hits at a mile on a 2'x3' steel plate. I think it suits your criteria nicely, but sadly not your price range :thumbsup:

PS, the rifle in my avatar is a .22, and I could shoot a squirrel in the eye at 200 yards with it :weapons: lol

Reactions: DPM
1 - 15 of 15 Posts