National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, February 15, The Shooting Wire reported on legislation introduced in Alabama that would give both students and professors the right to carry concealed firearms at all state-supported colleges and universities. Legislation to that effect is also being introduced in other states.

South Dakota Representatives have used a measure known as a “smoke out” to re-introduce House Bill 1261, a measure that would “regulate the right to carry a firearm on the campuses of public institutions of higher education.” The proposed legislation would prevent the expulsion, dismissal or other penalties against any person who carried or possessed a firearm in compliance with state law. The bill, however, does give the school the right to require that any firearm in a campus dormitory and –not in a person’s immediate possession – be kept in a locked gun safe. The legislation also defines the term “public institution” to avoid any confusion. Under the South Dakota proposal, the law would apply to “any public postsecondary educational institution under the Board of Regents or any public postsecondary technical institute under the Board of Education.”

The bill is, as you can imagine, strongly opposed by university officials and had been rejected last Monday by the Senate State Affairs Committee. In the “smoke out” sixteen Senators voted in favor of the forcing of the introduction of the legislation to the full legislature, while nineteen voted against it. Senate rules, however, say that any measure receiving 12 votes forces committees to deliver that legislation they had killed in committee.

Meanwhile, with the District of Columbia v. Heller decision only three weeks away from the tentative date for oral arguments in the United States Supreme Court, the anti-gun groups continue their frantic lobbying to help put as much pressure as possible on the Supreme Court justices – and contributors. Following last week’s horrific shooting incidents, the “usual suspects” in the anti-gun movement hardly waited for the police to arrive on the scene before screaming the shootings were made possible by “gun show loopholes” in current laws. They never seem to tire of making the same hysterical arguments in the face of events that have proven the pro-gun position that armed citizens are seldom chosen as victim groups. Unfortunately, well meaning dunderheads who want to support a kindler, gentler society continue to pony up the funds that enable fear mongering and firearms to be a profitable business. When it comes to the point that CNN is running special reports asking what could be done to get the criminally insane off the streets and comes up with the answer that the law isn’t doing much, it’s apparent even the liberals are tiring of acts of random violence from people proven to be dangerous to themselves and others. Virginia Tech’s Cho was cited as one of the worst failures of the mental health system, having been declared dangerous by a judge, yet not able to be permanently committed or treated due to regulations that force mental health professionals to release loons back into society. If I were an “advocate” for the mentally unstable and had defended the right of a crazy person to go back on the street and commit another crime – including murder – I’d be taking a hard look at my job choice

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
We've been working similar legislation in Virginia.

This session, I believe the bill has been watered down such that only faculty may exercise their 2A rights.

I'm sure it's for the children...sigh.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glock27Bill said:

This session, I believe the bill has been watered down such that only faculty may exercise their 2A rights.

Its a beginning. Take what you can and go back the next year after the naysayers find out that the faculty did not misuse their gun rights and shoot up the place. ;)

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
sig232 said:
Glock27Bill said:

Its a beginning. Take what you can and go back the next year after the naysayers find out that the faculty did not misuse their gun rights and shoot up the place. ;)
Good point. At least they didn't limit it to TENURED faculty.

We're also working on getting our first conceal carry in restaurants law passed (although our Democrat governor said he will veto it). Currently, if they serve alcohol, it's open carry only. Unfortunately, this new law requires that you tell a "designated person" that you are carrying a gun if you carry concealed.

Most of us would just open carry, as not many people notice and there's no notificaton required. The ability to do this depends upon what part of the state you live in. Here in Northern Virginia, people freak out and get on their soapbox real quick.

And we all agree that most restaurant owners would rather not be put in the position of having to make a decision, instead of just letting it happen.

As you said, it's a start. One legislator wanted us to have to wear a badge so that they would know to not serve us alcohol...that got squashed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Here in Utah we can carry into any public school.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
owtlaw said:
Here in Utah we can carry into any public school.
We can here in Oregon too as long as we are licensed and don't make a big deal about it. The state law says we can but the school system says no way. Most of our government employees think they are are more powerful than the state authority. Its a problem with all levels of government, nobody seems to know the rules and how to properly enforce the law.

Same problem with the port authority and the tri-met transportation system. Trust me thats where you need protection, on the trains and buses. I will carry to protect myself and take my chances and maybe live to tell about it if something bad were to happen.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
A similar bill is working its way through the legislature here in Arizona. I work for a college and the faculty are already twittering in dispair. I am willing to bet that if it passes both houses, the governor Janet "I wanna meet your daughter" Napolitano will veto it. She is kissing up the the Obama folks for a big job. Can't have a pro-gun governor trying for the second seat up in DC can we?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts