National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take a look. This bullet is brass. With lead inside. Buddy was turning down an old log to make a bowl. He found this bullet lodged in the log. Narrowest measurement is .281. Largest is .317. Yes it’s brass. Found about 3-4 inches into the log. Length of bullet is 1.23 inches. Any ideas what how or why? Any info would be cool.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Yea somebody shot a tree either intentionally or incidentally. The tree grew around it. The worse part is it ruined all his hard work to that point.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,079 Posts
Buddy needs to invest in a metal detector.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Thats a good job of cleaning it up. Looks like a modern run of the mill FMJ bullet.

Reactions: LRDGCO

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,902 Posts
Brass is copper, with a little zinc mixed in.

Most all commercial ammunition jackets are not pure copper, but gilding metal. They contains 5% - 7% zinc, technically making it brass. We call it a copper jacket, but it's really brass.

Different militaries at different times in history used different jacket formulas (percentages) due to material shortages and cost.

Reactions: Wag

· Registered
191 Posts

A church gave my son-in-law and I a very large white oak tree a few years back. I was pulling the sawed boards off the band saw and I saw something real shinny in the log and though we had hit a nail or something. Closer inspection showed it was a piece of lead. It was soft and was easy to remove. We estimated it had been in the tree since early 1800,s. It was a large white oak and the ball was near the center. Looks like about a .75 calibur.

Reactions: Popeye and LRDGCO
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.