National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to get a new gun, and I've done a ton of research on these guns, but now I would appreciate if you guys have any input on these guns.

Now when I say input, I would like to know if you have personal experience with these guns, and even if you can personally compare two or more of them. I would chamber it in either .300 WM or .308 WM, and use it primarily for deer hunting.

I've got a budget for roughly $1000, not including attachments, and I would put a scope, a bipod (probably harris) and a shoulder sling. I also like the idea of a muzzle flash.

What I would like, is your opinions on things such as quality, accuracy, dependability, and if you could compare these specific selections.

First one is everyone's favorite, the Remington 700.
Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 VTR SS - Remington Centerfire Rifles
Not much needs to be said here, but it already comes equipped with a bipod and a picatinny rail, so not much needs to be added.

Next is the 40-XS.
40-XS Tactical Rifle
Again, a Remington, but I can't find a price. I assume more than $1000.

And now that Weatherby is back online, I finally look and compare them, and I picked this.
WBY-X?Vanguard® Saratoga? - WBY-X - Rifles - Products
I know the Vanguard has some a bit of fame, and I like Weatherby's new camo.

Kind of an oddball, but this also stuck out to me.
Legacy Sports - Hogue Kryptek Heavy Barrel Full Dip Package
I've read that Howa actually made the Vanguard for Weatherby, and I've heard good things about them, so I just thought they should be considered.

I like the detachable mags, I like bipods, I like big scopes, and I like cool guns.
I've looked at all sorts of brands, but I'm always open to more considerations.

As always, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What is your intended main use for a rifle? Some are better for hunting, some are better for other uses. My guns all have their specific functions as being good for why I have them. When i shoot one of our lambs to slaughter, I don't use my hunting rifle to do so.

·
crockett007
293 Posts
A man and his rifle is a personal relationship. What you've listed here is a drop in the bucket compared to what is out there for "choices". What works for some, doesn't work for others. It's a chevy vs. ford discussion man.

Get your hands on as many rifles as you can, gun shows, etc. You can show up at your local range without any firearms and I bet there is a guy that will let you "try" his. Networking in your community will be invaluable.

Most of us "rifle guys" were fortunate to grow up with them, hunting and shooting them when we could afford to buy ammo. Our preferences in regard to a rifle were ingrained in our youth, and for some of us, in the military.

The internet cannot make this decision for you. The rifle of your choice should not be a mail order bride, but an object that you've "felt" and is a reflection of you and your needs.

Off the soap box....

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,756 Posts
In order to make a worthwhile suggestion, we need to know some details about what you will be using the rifle for. You mentioned deer hunting. At what distance to you plan to hunt? What general area do you want to hunt in? Specificity which states? Will you be hiking to a camp site or hunting behind your house?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In order to make a worthwhile suggestion, we need to know some details about what you will be using the rifle for. You mentioned deer hunting. At what distance to you plan to hunt? What general area do you want to hunt in? Specificity which states? Will you be hiking to a camp site or hunting behind your house?
We don't even know if he plans on using what he buys for hunting..... or what he wants to hunt if he does want to hunt. The Weatherby he won't get for $1000 or less. I figure he should go with the Remington 700.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A man and his rifle is a personal relationship. What you've listed here is a drop in the bucket compared to what is out there for "choices". What works for some, doesn't work for others. It's a chevy vs. ford discussion man.

Get your hands on as many rifles as you can, gun shows, etc. You can show up at your local range without any firearms and I bet there is a guy that will let you "try" his. Networking in your community will be invaluable.

Most of us "rifle guys" were fortunate to grow up with them, hunting and shooting them when we could afford to buy ammo. Our preferences in regard to a rifle were ingrained in our youth, and for some of us, in the military.

The internet cannot make this decision for you. The rifle of your choice should not be a mail order bride, but an object that you've "felt" and is a reflection of you and your needs.

Off the soap box....
+1 Nothing can be truer than this.

My rifles are very personal to me. So are my pistols. I am in the process of building myself some new ones. I'm going to semi-retire my darling .303 Lee Enfield hunting rifle. She's getting up there in age. I'm starting a .308 AR 10 to give her a rest. I also have my 7.62x39 saddle pistol almost finished to give my Marlin 30-30 a rest.

I have reconfigured some of what is best for me to use here in the mountains with using more modern technology. My rifles, pistols and my shotgun are my friends. They are part of my family.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,756 Posts
We don't even know if he plans on using what he buys for hunting..... or what he wants to hunt if he does want to hunt. The Weatherby he won't get for $1000 or less. I figure he should go with the Remington 700.
True. But if he is looking to hunt within 200 - 300 yards, a .30 caliber round would be overkill.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
True. But if he is looking to hunt within 200 - 300 yards, a .30 caliber round would be overkill.
Depends on what he's hunting. I wouldn't use a .223 to take down an elk at 200-300 yards. I wouldn't use anything LESS than a .30 caliber round to take down an elk at any distance.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,756 Posts
Depends on what he's hunting. I wouldn't use a .223 to take down an elk at 200-300 yards. I wouldn't use anything LESS than a .30 caliber round to take down an elk at any distance.
True. However in the OP he stated "...... use it primarily for deer hunting.", which is what I based my previous statement on.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
The VTR's are very hit and miss in the accuracy department. Plus the triangle barrel looks goofy and does nothing

The 40X will be out of the custom shop,,,guaranteed 1/2moa this may or may not be true,,,and probably over your budget with a lengthy wait time.

The WBY-X is just a Howa with a cheap stock and overpriced fancy paint job.And a #2 barrel,,,be a nice walk around hunting rifle.

The Legacy Sports Howa comes with a crappy Hogue stock and even crappier scope.The trigger is probably a huge improvement over the normal trigger.If you like a two stage trigger.

Take a look at the Remington 5r Mil spec....it will probably come in just a tad over your budget but it's a quality firearm that comes in both the 308 and 300wm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm in the market to get a new gun, and I've done a ton of research on these guns, but now I would appreciate if you guys have any input on these guns.

Now when I say input, I would like to know if you have personal experience with these guns, and even if you can personally compare two or more of them. I would chamber it in either .300 WM or .308 WM, and use it primarily for deer hunting.

I've got a budget for roughly $1000, not including attachments, and I would put a scope, a bipod (probably harris) and a shoulder sling. I also like the idea of a muzzle flash.

What I would like, is your opinions on things such as quality, accuracy, dependability, and if you could compare these specific selections.

First one is everyone's favorite, the Remington 700.
Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 VTR SS - Remington Centerfire Rifles
Not much needs to be said here, but it already comes equipped with a bipod and a picatinny rail, so not much needs to be added.

Next is the 40-XS.
40-XS Tactical Rifle
Again, a Remington, but I can't find a price. I assume more than $1000.

And now that Weatherby is back online, I finally look and compare them, and I picked this.
WBY-X?Vanguard® Saratoga? - WBY-X - Rifles - Products
I know the Vanguard has some a bit of fame, and I like Weatherby's new camo.

Kind of an oddball, but this also stuck out to me.
Legacy Sports - Hogue Kryptek Heavy Barrel Full Dip Package
I've read that Howa actually made the Vanguard for Weatherby, and I've heard good things about them, so I just thought they should be considered.

I like the detachable mags, I like bipods, I like big scopes, and I like cool guns.
I've looked at all sorts of brands, but I'm always open to more considerations.

As always, thank you for your help.
I shoot the 300 Win Mag out of a Savage M110 FP. It shoots .5 moa and has plenty of range for long shots. However I consider it too much gun for deer under 300yds, unless you load it down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts