National Gun Forum banner

Inherited a problem, I think

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  2ndAmFight 
#1 ·
Inherited guns from my father years ago and am looking to pass one on to my gun enthusiast son. He was going to buy a Remington 721 270. I told him don't and I would give him mine. So, I got it out, inspected it and researched the manufacturer's date. Problem.

Can anyone tell me why the barrel doesn't match the receiver? The receiver says Remington Model 721 270, but the barrel says Flaig's WBY. What's going on? Is it a 270?

My dad was a gunsmith, so anything is possible.

#2 ·
Without knowing anything, I often speak about things I know nothing about. Isn't it very possible that your dad swapped out the barrel. Let's assume he was a competent gunsmith and made sure everything was safe. Whats the problem?

• Haha
Reactions: Philmo11
#3 ·
Thanks for your quick comment. I'm not sure there is a problem, just not sure.

Yes, my dad was a gunsmith for 30 years and a tool and die maker for IBM. So, it's entirely possible he swapped out barrels. He built many rifles with his own modifications. I want to be sure it's still a 270 and not a different caliber.

He long gone now, so I can't ask him.

#5 ·
Find another competent gunsmith and let him look at it. Not knowing anything has never kept me quiet either. Offhand I would say it is what Is marked on the barrel.

Alan

Reactions: gvaldeg1
#7 ·
This may be of some help.

#12 ·
Old school gunsmiths had carbide lamps to blacken sights. You can soot the bits and see what the chamber size is.

#17 ·
Flaigs was a company that made barrels but i think they are out of business now. I had one on a Ruger 77 years ago. What Gvaldeg said above, do a chamber cast with some cerrosafe. It's simple to use, put a patch on a cleaning rod and insert in the bore up until you hit the are where the bullet would be if the gun were loaded. Melt the cerrosafe in something a tuna can with a propane torch and pour into the chamber and then push it out with the rod when cooled. Cerrosafe melts very easily and quickly and sets up in seconds. You'll need a set of calipers to measure the cerrosafe and compare to dimensions of calibers which should be easy to find online. Your measurements wont be exact but if you do 4 -5 different measurements and they are al within a few thousands that would be the round it is.

Reactions: Popeye and gvaldeg1
#19 ·
any that made barrels but i think they are out of business now. I had one on a Ruger 77 years ago. What Gvaldeg said above, do a chamber cast with some cerrosafe. It's simple to use, put a patch on a cleaning rod and insert in the bore up until you hit the are where the bullet would be if the gun were loaded. Melt the cerrosafe in something a tuna can with a propane torch and pour into the chamber and then push it out with the rod when cooled. Cerrosafe melts very easily and quickly
Great idea. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.