National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a good pump action 12 gauge for a while and I've narrowed my choices to 3. I will be buying the field version of each of the guns because I prefer a wooden stock. My first selection is a the winchester SXP I like the low recoil and that the pump slides back when you shoot so yon just have to push forward and also as my name implies I'm a huge fan of winchester. My next choice is a Remington model 870 I like the quality of these guns and the historical significance of it and it being used by military and police personnel. Third and final choice is the mossberg model 500 I like it for the military and police use and like the price and in Canada (where I live) it is the cheaper choice. I'm personally thinking SXP but looking for suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
don't know much about that particular model winchester.......

the 870 and the 500......both older established models with proven track records and production probably in the millions. Huge cottage industry for after-market parts/accessories. Numerous choices in accessory barrel configurations. after-market stock options.

870 is a very easy gun to field strip for cleaning. The Steel receiver is superior over an aluminum receiver for scratch resistence/abuse. 870 has one heck of a record over the decades for hunting and law enforcement usage.

500 is a good gun. cost effective and less expensive barrels. I have never short stroked a 500,,,,,,,,can't say that about the 870. Weak point is the plastic safety button which i have seen them broken or cracked from abuse. I use a steel aftermarket replacement button myself.

handle the guns if possible and see what feels, points, and fits best for yourself.

·
Registered
894 Posts
In a dire situation my 870 is my go to gauge, I have the Marine Magnum with synthetic stock, maybe not the prettiest but could easily be the toughest.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
I own many SxS shotguns. I have four pump action shotguns Winchester Model 12, 2-12ga,1- 16ga. and 1-20ga. They are all steel and wood construction. I tried in my early years to wear them out. I couldn't. I would not even try to guess how many thousands of shells I have fired through these guns. I recently bought my latest Model 12 from a seller on Gun Broker it was made in 1915. A photo is posted on Gun Related Pictures. Shoots great.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Flip a coin--all great shotguns. I have a 500 and 870 but have shot the Win many times---I like it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive decided to go with the winchester sxp I was bred to love them and ill just have to get one! Thanks everyone for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts