National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Arizona, the real Sunshine Sate!

I'm currently suffering from a case of trying to do things that look easier than they actually are. Mainly, my first gun is having some stock issues. I've got a Mosin Nagant 91/30 that has definitely seen some serious abuse from whatever Soviet Citizen was using it before it landed, Cosmoline soaked in my hands. I've overhauled the gun from what it was a few days prior, but i'm still having trouble with refurbishing the stock. I've been sanding with 400 grit, and hand rubbing a sparing amount of linseed oil onto it after a thorough cleaning, but i'm still getting a lot of wood fuzz. Any idea on how to get rid of this?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm just assuming that in the cleaning/refurbishing process you field-stripped the rifle, and now the bare stock is all that you are currently working upon,
without the action, barrel, and mag, right?

Do you have some fine gauge steel wool?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,403 Posts
Greetings and Salutations.

First, you must get all the cosmoline out of the stock. This is not a fast and easy task. Perhaps the least expensive way of doing this is to place the stock inside a dark green or black garbage bag. Place that bag in another dark green or black garbage bag and place it, outside, on the sunny side of your house. Every 24 hours take it out of the bags and throw away the inner bag. Scrape all the boiled out cosmoline off the stock with a plastic 'fast food restaurant' knife. Place the stock inside the outer bag, put the whole thing inside another garbage bag and repeat until no cosmoline boils out of the stock. Then you can worry about refinishing the stock.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
The Fuzz you’re getting is raised grain. Once you have all of the cosmoline out/off, lightly sand it with the 400.i would actually start with 120 but be careful not to remove too much on the edges. Then go to the finer grit papers. The key to any babyaz smooth wood it water. Once you have it real nice, wet a sponge and wipe it down. Let it dry a few hours and you’ll see that the grain has raised, 400 again and then 00 steel wool. Wet it again. Once the grain has raised go over it with the 00 again. Wet again and after it dries, go over it with 0000 steel wool. Now you’re ready to put the finish on it. I’ve only done about 40+ stocks and most of the were American walnut and birch. You never know what’s under the original finish, especially military stocks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the rifle has been totally field stripped. I'm only working on the bare stock, as well as the barrel guard. Also, I do have fine gauge steel wool, not sure how i'm supposed to use it though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh...it's only 107 here today but it was 111 yesterday. Normal (average) for this date is 106.
Ah, I've been caught red handed in my cherry picking. Yeah, the day I dried it it was only somewhere around 105 or 6, at least in Phoenix. The humidity also wasn't 0%, not sure if that's possible or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts