National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people on Youtube converting flares into firearms to shoot various calibers and gauges, so far I've seen that metal surplus ones are more suited for shooting than the modern plastic flares. I want to convert a flare gun that shoot 20 gauge birdshot shells, is this a good idea?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,973 Posts
This is NOT a good idea!

Well, its not a good idea if you like and enjoy your fingers, hands, face and eyesight. If you don't care about those, go right ahead. We'll read about you in the newspaper and in the annual "Darwin Awards" nominations.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
I would not want to be gambling my hand on such an enterprise....

I would not want to be gambling my hand on such an enterprise.... Have learned from my teachers: Never expiriment with explosives and never shoot anything without a proper proofmark. Had a friend of a friend loading his flare pistol with a selfmade super round. This "bird bomb" round turned that guy's left hand into hamburger meat! :eek:

DONT DO IT!!! Sofar my papa talk. However young soldiers never listen to their old wise sergeants: Heres a good military report I found on how somebody did it before you: AND TESTED IN A SAFE WAY

1. I selected an H&K 26.5mm flare pistol which I obtained from Cope's Distributing for this field test. It seems to be a very well-made piece of equipment with plenty of steel parts in all of the right places, a smooth trigger pull, and a single-action hammer that's easy to cock back. Here's the link:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=792

This pistol was lightly covered in Cosmoline when I first received it, which I was able to remove rather easily by immersing it in a big pot of boiling water.

2. I obtained an aluminum 26.5mm to 12 gauge converter sleeve with a black anodized finish. Here is the link:

The Sportsman's Guide - Hunting & Outdoor Gear, Shooting Supplies, Military Surplus, Survival Gear And More!

3. I obtained some 12 gauge rifled slug ammunition from Midway USA that will chamber in this converter sleeve, since the more commonly-available 2 3/4" shell will not. This type of ammunition is known as the Aguila Minishell, which is also available in buckshot and birdshot. Here is the link:

Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear ? MidwayUSA

4. I obtained a hand-operated bar clamp so that I would be able to firmly secure my flare pistol loaded with an Aguila Minishell to an old, but still solidly implanted within the ground, split-rail fence post. Here's a web page link to one somewhat similar to the one which I used:

Grip Quick-Ratcheting Bar Clamp — 12in. | Bar Clamps| Northern Tool + Equipment

I figured that using this clamp and the fence post would be the next best thing to using an actual gun vise. Although it could have been better for a reason which will soon become apparent to those reading this, the clamp was a lot less cumbersome for me to carry out to my test site than a gun vise would have been. While I had first thought using a tree limb with this clamp would have been feasible, the fence post turned out to be so much easier to work with due to its shape and flat surfaces.

5. After everything was in place, I took cover behind a big tree which was behind the flare pistol's line of fire. I rigged up a thin nylon line that I found in the camping section of Walmart to remotely pull the trigger.

6. The nylon line that I had rigged up made the remote-trigger-pulling easy enough, and while this H&K flare pistol survived completely intact from each of the three Aguila Minishells that I fired in this manner for this field test, the recoil was enough each time to jar it loose from the clamp and send it flying backward almost all the way to the big tree which I was taking cover behind. I would estimate this tree to be at least twenty feet from where I had the flare pistol clamped to the fence post.

7. I then inspected this H&K flare pistol for signs of stress and cracking after each test firing. I found nothing of the sort, but instead I noticed just powder residue on the pistol's breech face, as one could reasonably expect with any firearm just after it has been fired.

8. I then felt confident enough in the overall structural integrity of this H&K flare pistol to try firing an Aguila Minishell with it in the conventional way, that is, by hand. I was able to do this without any catastrophic results, but the recoil was fierce to say the least! The phrase "hand cannon" comes to mind if that helps anyone get an idea of the kick that I felt from firing this ammunition. Some might even find it best to hold it with both hands when preparing to fire a shot for the first time.

So, there you have it. I can now at last certainly say that my surplus H&K 26.5mm flare pistol can withstand firing Aguila Minishells of the 12 gauge slug variety without exploding in my hand. As for ballistics and accuracy, I could not attest to any claims thereof, since my testing did not cover that aspect. (This flare pistol has no sights anyway, and I doubt that there are any which do have them.) I can at least say that this flare pistol and this ammunition could potentially be fashioned into a formidable anti-pirate weapon however, one perhaps for the boater or seafarer who is sailing within the waters of a nation, state, or authority which is a bit much on the firearm-prohibitive side with its laws and/or regulations.

Good story and maybe you can learn from this. Pls use common sence. Smoke a big cigar while thinking this over . Rgds from ARMARIN :thumbsup:

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
28,596 Posts
Flare guns have one purpose, to send up flares.

BTW, Welcome to NGF!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Why not just get a real firearm? If for some reason you cannot legally acquire a firearm, coverting a flare gun is not going to be a wise alternative.

Reactions: bc38

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
This is NOT a good idea!

Well, its not a good idea if you like and enjoy your fingers, hands, face and eyesight. If you don't care about those, go right ahead. We'll read about you in the newspaper and in the annual "Darwin Awards" nominations.
I think some people are attracted to projects that allow them to express their creativity & feel that they "got away with something."

Until they suffer a lifelong injury.

·
Banned
632 Posts
Witnessed with my own eyes a cheap OLIN 12 ga. flare gun that exploded when the idiot (not me) put 12 ga. birdshot in it and pulled the bang switch. It was metal, and could not take the pressure. The kid who did it was scarred for life on his face and hands.

·
Registered
16,591 Posts
Thank you all for the replies you've all been very helpful! I'll just stick to pistol calibers if I manage to convert my flaregun.
I'm not sure i would shoot a pistol calibers in one either, that's why they make pistols to shoot those.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Banned
632 Posts
Thank you all for the replies you've all been very helpful! I'll just stick to pistol calibers if I manage to convert my flaregun.
Why ask for advice, and then disregard said advice? If anything, pistols have even MORE pressure to contend with.....

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,973 Posts
I say again!

This is NOT a good idea!

In fact, it qualifies as a dangerously stupid idea. The fools you see doing this on YouTube, and other places, are ignorant idiots of the highest degree.

DO NOT attempt to 'convert' a flare gun to shoot anything other than flares! A flare gun is not designed to handle the pressures generated by shotgun, handgun or rifle rounds. It will rapidly disassemble itself, taking parts of your body with it, if anything other than the flares it was designed to shoot are used.

It may, or may not, blow up with the first round. I guarantee you, it will, much to the shooter's dismay, blow up.

Have I made myself clear?

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I have been just having a hard time watching this thread.

I am just wondering why anyone would be thinking of this. There art much more creative ways to hurt yourself. I am thinking the Insurance commercial with the guy juggling the chainsaws should suffice.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
An eight year necro-thread. Is this a new record?

I am also thinking Troll. If this type of rig worked, what would be the purpose of actual firearms?

Everybody would just go to Wal-Mart, and get an 18$ flare gun.

Bear in mind, that finger, eye, and appearance loss is permanent. Most people who think they are slick are only greasy. You are gambling, with a losing hand, and your fingers, face, eyesight, and hearing are the chips.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
“ Most people who think they are slick are only greasy.”

I am officially stealing this line.

Alan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.