National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: As we all know Travis is in the holster business. I've always suscribed to the old saying "Money Talks, Bullshit Walks"

Taint true no more in the holster business. A picture is worth a thousand words, I'll let the pictures do the talking.
Two leather IWB holsters are posted below. Which is the $$$ Galco, Which is the "Travis el cheapo @ 1/2 the price?

It's obvious, right" The beautifully stained, oiled and polished leather is the Galco!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The pricey Galco has the unfinished look, for that you pay 2x the $$$

WAIT!!, AIN'T THROUGH YET:

I ordered a J frame from Travis, got a Brand X off of E Barf. The one on the left with beautiful stitching is a "Travis" The one on the right with plain sewing thread and a rivet to hold it together is the Brand C. PAID THE SAME PRICE FOR EACH.
Forgot to mention and should have taken pix of the back side of the J frames. Travis' holster has a heavy duty belt clip. The E Barf holster has a wire loop that doesn't grip the belt and comes alose, along with the holster when you draw. I omitted the rear photos because it's so obvious that the E Bark is inferior.

Why don't we "BUY TRAVIS.) :-B-: :-B-: :-B-: :-B-: :-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I do have one of those Galco "summer specials!" Its nice, but very expensive. The rough out leather is supposed to prevent your shirt from pulling out and allow the gun to draw quicker from the smooth leather. Its a bone molded holster, which adds a lot of hand labor to the cost, they say.

Travis's holsters look first rate. Thanks for putting up that post.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sig232 said:
I do have one of those Galco "summer specials!" Its nice, but very expensive. The rough out leather is supposed to prevent your shirt from pulling out and allow the gun to draw quicker from the smooth leather. Its a bone molded holster, which adds a lot of hand labor to the cost, they say.

Travis's holster look first rate. Thanks for putting up that post.
Travis accomplshes the shirt problem with the rough top strap. I've drawn from both and can't tell the difference.
In actual real world use, my shirt tail would be the last thing I'd worry about.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
whompuss said:
sig232 said:

Travis's holster look first rate. Thanks for putting up that post.
Travis accomplishes the shirt problem with the rough top strap. I've drawn from both and can't tell the difference.
In actual real world use, my shirt tail would be the last thing I'd worry about.
Yea, agreed about the shirttail.

I have not checked the holster store catalogue for a while, does Travis have holsters for most of the popular gun models now??

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I just got my two holsters...a 'Summer Comfort' style in black for my Glock, and an IWB w/belt clip for my Kahr CW40.

Both look first-rate...can't wait to go out and do the 'Virginia Open Carry.' (Complies with the law of not being hidden from 'common observation,' OWB not required to meet that requirement).

Thanks, Travis!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Travis said:
Thanks for all of the GREAT comments! Very glad to see that you bought from us Mr. Whompuss!
The kudos go to you Travis, for turning out a quality product at a most reasonable price.
All I did was to post the pictures.....they speak for themselves. :D

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I should be receiving my CCW in about a month (May 5th won't come any sooner) and I'll need a holster. Any suggestions? Is it possible to get a picture with someone wearing the holsters?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I knew where to find his site, (it's the big blue banner at the top of the page), but I don't know what I want holster-wise.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Its VERY hard to tell someone what type of holster THEY want. Its almost like putting on a pair of shoes. You have to try a couple before you find the one you like. In the holster business its hard to try a couple without loosing some money. (Of course, if you buy from me you never loose money cause you will like the FIRST one you buy.) On the other hand, I can assure you that you are going to want to carry all day. I would suggest either the pro carry HD or deep comfort, either one is a GREAT inside the waistband holster. For a Outside the waistband holster try our pro carry belt ride.

Thanks,
Travis

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Sounds good, I'll place my order on the 15th (payday).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got my two holsters...a 'Summer Comfort' style in black for my Glock, and an IWB w/belt clip for my Kahr CW40.

Both look first-rate...can't wait to go out and do the 'Virginia Open Carry.' (Complies with the law of not being hidden from 'common observation,' OWB not required to meet that requirement).

What does this mean? Is open carry allowed or is this an 4/1 joke?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
blacksharkL82 said:

What does this mean? Is open carry allowed or is this an 4/1 joke?
Well, in Virginia the law regarding being concealed is "hidden from common observation." Basically, if enough is exposed to be recognizable for it being a gun, then it is not legally concealed, so the line of thought goes.

There are differing opinions on this, many people say it depends upon what the officer on the scene might think. But if it's spotted as being a gun, then the counter-agrument goes that, by definition, it is not concealed.

I will say that there are no court cases either confirming or denying this line of thought.

Open carry is allowed for anyone who is eligible to buy a gun, no permit or permission is required, buy it and put it on your hip, no problems.

The issue becomes important when in a restaurant that serves alcohol. VA requires open carry there. In some parts of the state seeing a gun kinda disturbs some folks, hence the preference for 'VA open carry' methods.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Cake said:
I should be receiving my CCW in about a month (May 5th won't come any sooner) and I'll need a holster. Any suggestions? Is it possible to get a picture with someone wearing the holsters?
Around here we can take an unloaded pistol into the gun stores and Sportsmans warehouse,etc. and get an idea which holster would best suit your needs. Do you have any "big" gun stores in your area?

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
GonBalistik said:
Cake said:
Around here we can take an unloaded pistol into the gun stores and Sportsmans warehouse,etc. and get an idea which holster would best suit your needs. Do you have any "big" gun stores in your area?
As a matter of fact, about 5 within a 10 minute drive.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Quick question, Travis, before I make my purchase. I've decided on the Pro Carryd Deep Comfort for my Springfield 5" Mil Spec 1911. On the drop-down menu, would I choose the Misc 5" 1911, or would I go with the Springfield GI. Because even though the GI and Mil spec are very similar, the Mil Spec has the raised sights, which I don't know if that makes a difference when you make the holster. Anyways, thanks in advance for the advise.

(And the sooner you get to answer, the sooner I get to make my purchase. :D)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts