National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
Weight-reducing aluminum frame.... Okay, What else y'all got?

Alan

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Stronger then plastic (smile face with hands up in the air) ? I would like S/S for frame and slide hands down. Yet if aluminum is doing good in carry, point of use, and reliability (in my firearms - which I was giving my side of) what would one be missing? Ive read the ones with issues yet they imo seemed to be mostly haters submitting biased views. There are a very few who had legit issues.

I mentioned good and bad of what I found with Kimber aluminum frames. I would even mention failure to feed with some hollow points in lots of aluminum frames. Some dig right into the feed ramp n fail to feed. From what I understand do not polish the aluminum feed ramp. Why I still don't know - removing to much aluminum I guess.

Aluminum is weaker then steel, no doubt and it's a fact. Still is it strong and for carry and shooting? The actual primer strike and bullet exiting the chamber is in the chamber. before the barrel. For a carry firearm I feel aluminum is good. Its the parts that you must question. The Kimber I have has a 1K to 1.5K round count for the recoil spring if I remember right. For an actual go to firearm or get down and dirty go to war firearm - imo? this is still out for review. The M16 is an aluminum frame / lower. Its seen lots of war.

I just don't want the price of a good 1911 aluminum frame be the same as an S/S one....which we will be seeing very soon imo.

Ruger has a few 1911 aluminum frames too with MIM parts which sell for, in the world of 1911, low price.

If I was seriously looking for a good 1911, I would be looking for an all stainless steel one with no plastic or MIM parts. Then I would coat it in some coating of the color I like. Heck, I'd even go and build myself one if I wasn't to find the particular one I want.

Side note: I do hope these aluminum frame 1911 companies put out a life time warranty on their frames. This would be one heck of a selling point.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
I'm sure the aluminum frame works fine otherwise there wouldn't be as many as there are on the market. I just don't like them.

Alan

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
I have at least 2 aluminum frame semi auto's. Star PD 45 and TU-90(Chinese tokarev) Both are basically a 1911 design with some changes to make them cheaper and look a little different. The Star had some problems in the early design with frames cracking so they made a relief cut which prevented that. It also has a buffer on the recoil spring to help prevent cracking. Bought mine well used and have quite a few rounds through it with no problems except changing the buffer every so often. The TU-90 was also bought well used and i have used it quite a bit shooting my reloads and much hotter surplus 7.62x25 ammo, no problems at all with that one that i can remember. I wouldn't doubt that TU is some sort of low grade aluminum alloy either being it comes from China. It certainly looks and feels a little different than the Star. Though i prefer a steel frame i have no problems buying an aluminum frame pistol just like i wouldn't have a problem buying a rifle with an aluminum receiver.....

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I can’t imagine any reputable manufacturer would use the aluminum frame as feed ramp like a steel frame. Probably has the feed ramp on the barrel like a polymer pistol.

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dunhams carries them. But for more price wise. Next time i get to a dunhams. I'll look one over.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Ok, so to my last comment, Kimber wasn’t that smart. The first 2 pictures are from a Kimber LW review video.

The difference with an integrated feed ramp on the barrel vs a standard barrel. Both are from a .45 1911.

I would have expected Kimber to have been more responsible than to use the soft aluminum as a feed ramp and use a feed ramp integrated into the barrel. I was wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im thinking about going down the Kimber rabbit hole.
Thoughts and opinions please.

I’ve only heard that they make a pretty fun, but not as functional. If you want a decent 1911 but aren’t willing to call the Dan Wesson’s of the world, I hear rock island makes a serviceable, also good looking 1911

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
unfortunately......about the only readily available 1911's left in stock at the places i look are the 1000 dollar plus ones....

the RIA's seem to be selling like hot cakes....

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
unfortunately......about the only readily available 1911's left in stock at the places i look are the 1000 dollar plus ones....

the RIA's seem to be selling like hot cakes....
Only ones left locally are the Kimber LW models $500-$700 models. There are 7 flavors of Kimber LW at my local store, no other 1911 brands to be found. If I venture about 30-35 min, I can find other brands but they are few. $900+ or looking at a Llama (I’m not going there, too many trusted sources have given bad reviews).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Was there ever a day when anyone thought there wouldn’t be enough 1911s on the shelf? The Rona crap has breathed life back into the 1911.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
perhaps more so with biden getting in office.....the 1911 is more or less mag friendly for the democrats capacity wise......

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was thinking the same thing. Biden may not go after the 1911.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Maybe they haven’t seen this yet

Seriously though, 1911s were the first to dry up in a lot of places. Buds still only has 1 available as of a couple days ago. They were bone dry for months.

They are still out there, out of financial reach for some, some with bad reps. Anything I’ve been interested in has been really hard to find. I just found it interesting that the 1911 market dried before a lot of others.

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
perhaps more so with biden getting in office.....the 1911 is more or less mag friendly for the democrats capacity wise......
It's a semi auto, while it may not be first on the list it's certainly on the list.

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My son and i went to Durhams today. They had kimber micro's. Some RIA'S too. No FS kimbers. I did buy my 1st factory 10mm ammo. They had ppu defense 50 count for 25.00. I bought both boxes. And a 2nd amed T-shirt. They had 223 PMC bronze 20 RDS for 10 bucks. Not sure if that is a deal or not.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts