National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about going down the Kimber rabbit hole.
Thoughts and opinions please.

Reactions: Tony

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,232 Posts
The employees and owner at my local range are not shy in sharing their contempt or dislike for Kimber. They think they are junk.
Their experience comes from having them as rental guns. They have also mentioned the difficulty they've had dealing with Kimber and their refusal to stand behind their product.

They will tell you.... "if you want to know if gun is a good gun, look in our rental cabinet. Those guns are used and abused and not cleaned or maintenanced like they should be"
Needless to say there's no Kimbers in that cabinet.

All that said... opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one and they usually stink.
There's lots of folks out there happily shooting KImbers.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The employees and owner at my local range are not shy in sharing their contempt or dislike for Kimber. They think they are junk.
Their experience comes from having them as rental guns. They have also mentioned the difficulty they've had dealing with Kimber and their refusal to stand behind their product.

They will tell you.... "if you want to know if gun is a good gun, look in our rental cabinet. Those guns are used and abused and not cleaned or maintenanced like they should be"
Needless to say there's no Kimbers in that cabinet.

All that said... opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one and they usually stink.
There's lots of folks out there happily shooting KImbers.
Gee, my local range takes real good care of their rental guns. Clean and well maintained. They like to sell them and get a decent price.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they are purdy. This is not going to buy today thing. Im also thinking about a RIA nickel 1911. I have been very happy with my Rocks. And im going to wait for prices to come back to ''normal''.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
a short run limited edition.....guess that is why its inexpensive. I can understand an aluminum frame for an officer model or even a lw commander size....

but for me, a full size 1911 will never be an oc/cc gun...its a battle pistol...so might as well have a heavier steel frame to help with the recoil management for the range, competition, and serious social occasions at the house.

i still want a 38 super.........don't know if i will ever get there...

kimbers were once upon a time years back highly regarded...and i think they still build a decent standard full size 1911 in their "custom II" model ...but a lot of folks seem to be having troubles with their compacts........

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
I remember a time when you heard mostly good things about Kimbers except for some of the finishes coming off. Now it seem like you hear a lot of bad stuff about them. Did something change with them at some point or did public opinion change for some other reason? I've never owned one and have wanted to add one at some point but they seem to be scarce around these parts unless you order one. I'm more of a like to look at and hold before i buy type of person.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what i read in 1911 addicts.
''
Kimber gets a bad rap because a long time ago they went from a small, more meticulous shop to a big, more middling production shop, and dump a ton of money into overly slick advertising. In the 1911 aficionado's world, that's enough to make them a whipping boy.

They also blew it on early MIM parts and rolled out some bad examples and although that's been rectified memories are long.

Fair amount of folks have had problems with theirs, but Kimber also sells a lot -- no real reason to think they're putting out more problems than Colt or Springfield, but if you produce more there will be more, and if you're a favorite target, it'll get talked about more. ''

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question Sam.

·
Live Free
2,998 Posts
I have heard a few instances of internal corrosion on first field strip of a new Kimber. Kimber prices ought to warrant better quality. No first hand experience myself. I tend to agree with Deputy regarding a full size with aluminum frame.
That said, lots of folks love their Kimbers.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The way I heard it is what Coalcracker said. The newer Kimbers are supposed to be OK, but I wouldn't buy a used
Kimber 1911, on a bet.
In fairness, Their K6 revolvers are stellar, I have one, and it's well worth the freight, IMO. Points well, shoots to point of aim, very nice. But if I were going to get a Kimber 1911, it would be brand new.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Coal, I’m not a 1911 guru by any means but I have to agree, I don’t like the aluminum frame. I am in several 1911 groups and I do a lot of reading comments. That being said, it’s about a 60/40 split with contempt being the majority and that’s being conservative. I have the impression, though, that a lot of the bashing being done might just be repeated lore with no teeth. You know me, I won’t cast a vote until I’ve experienced it for myself, just relaying what I’m seeing.

At the price point they are at normally, which is barely under $700, a painted aluminum frame wouldn’t be on my list. If you were going to carry it CCW, it might be a compromise worth considering. Kygunco has a lot of good deals though. The price on that one is about $100 less than local here. At that price, I’d think about it. If I wasn’t going to carry it, I’d strongly prefer the steel or stainless steel frames. That’s a preference and not based on any bad experience.

I do have 3 different Kimber mags for my 1911s and haven’t had an issue with them yet. They are all different as I picked them up 1 at a time as I saw them on sale. In fact I used one of them in the video I just shot with the S&W and the Metro ACII and it functioned all 6 times, in both guns without issue. I haven’t had an issue any other time they have been used either.

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
You get what you pay for. I picked up a Kimber this year and looked into it. Kimber has low priced firearms making them with plastic / composite parts and MIM. These were for people wanting a 1911 yet seemed to be priced out of them. Then they have very expensive top of the line firearms without those parts.

For the most part the Kimber I picked up is one excellent firearm even with the plastic and MIM parts. I went and started removing and installing better parts for myself. Not saying everyone must do this this is just me. I too was on the sideline with Kimber until I got one. Now their C/S? I would not know.

Seems lots of 1911 manufactures went to MIM and some plastic parts, to keep the price down on some of their firearms.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The like dislike split is about the same in 1911 addicts too Phil. Yeah they were saying you can change out the plastic parts over there too. I like to shoot my 1911's often. Also i was thinking about the case failure i had. How would the aluminum frame have held up? So i want something that will take a beating. Ruger has a SR 1911 in stainless too. Im leaning towards it. Or the RIA nickel one. Im in no hurry. Maybe Gators might have a used one of the 2 roll in too.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The only thing I dislike about nickel is how easily it damages. Once it’s damaged, fixing it requires it to be replated. They are pretty but not something I would shoot real often. Stainless would be a big upgrade.

If you want a really tough option, Metro Arms hard chrome. If you can find one, you can probably get it for about the same price as that Kimber and they are pretty guns too. Hard chromed carbon steel frames. I believe there are 9mm, 38 Super and .45 variants.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Just to give you a heads up on that S&W vs Metro Arms video I’m working on, the fitment and attention to detail was better on the MetroArms, the trigger was nicer in the S&W. The Metro has some creep in the trigger that the S&W doesn’t have.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool thanks Phil. (y)

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
If I remember right my 1990s Colt officers lightweight was an aluminum frame. Seen no issue with the frame. My Springfield EMP-4 is aluminum frame and its doing great with +P and regular cartridges. This Kimber I have now is doing great too, with what I'm putting down range.

I had my questions with aluminum frames too and read some stories. Most good and the rest was shooter error or defect from factory. Not trying to get you to get the aluminum frame just putting it out there on what I experienced. My only question is longevity of these frames. My Kimber I needed to get different magazines (Check - Mate out of New York, great guys!) due to the OEM magazine was digging into the side of the frame. I have a thread where I talked bout it on here.

Only case failure I had (sort of - case did rupture upon expanding) was due to me, operator error. Put a 40SW (was mixed in with my 45 ACP) into the magazine and chambered it, fired it and then it jammed the action of my S$W 1911. No damage and I'm sure it wasn't nothing like what you had.

I will say this, the Kimber I have is bout the same length as my Glock 32 and just as light. Very accurate as well, well the Kimber I have / Pro Carry II. I really like carrying that Kimber and its a single stack, so its easier to c/c, though two rounds less then the Glock 32 ...9 vs 11 - FKN CT SUCKS with their illegal and un Constitutional laws. Ten round magazine law that gives the attacker/mass shooter/murderer the advantage. Back on subject - Recoil is good too though recoil is subjective, everyone feels and handles recoil differently. Now that I'm putting in Wilson, Wilson S/S and bulletproof parts it is getting slightly heavier.

The Springfield Mil-Spec I have is great and all steel frame and slide. Not sure of the price difference of the Ruger S/S to the Mil-Spec. Both great for truck firearms. Never liked my S$W 1911.

Stainless or nickel? I'd opt for stainless. I'm with Phil on the nickel issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts