National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· USN
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only have one short action rifle, one long action rifle, and one magnum action rifle, what caliber would they be and why?

Personally, my three would be 6.5 Creedmoor because it's 6.5 Creedmoor, .270 Winchester due to the ballistic coefficient, size, and flat trajectory, and .300 Winchester Magnum mostly due to the cost versus .338 Lapua. What do you guys think?

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Okay, I am assuming you are referring to centerfire cartridges, so I wont mention the essential .22LR, and I do see it as a rifle must have. But if I limit my focus to centerfire I would go for the following (and even this does not fit your categories completely).

For a short action, I would actually look to the 6.5 Grendel for its versatility and availability in mini-action rifles and AR’s. It is hard hitting and has very useful effective range. Good for hunting medium game.

My next choice would be a .308. Though it is consider short action, it is a very effective caliber with greater bullet versatility than the 6.5 Creedmore (I really like the Creed) and is a proven combat and hunting caliber.

My long action choice would be a 30.06. All the same reasons as .308, but with ability to use heavier bullets suitable for any North American game. Interchangeability of bullets between this and .308 is also a plus. Excellent versatility again.

I am not really fond of magnum caliber rifles that much, but if I needed to include one it would be 7mm Mag.

So, my choices are 6.5 Grendel, .308 and 30.06.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
.223....varmint/pests......say in a 7oo BDL custom delux would tickle me....a touch of class.

7x57....jack of all trades....and old ruger 77 would do to hunt hard with.....and the 7x57 just to be different

257 WBY MAG.....i will never see africa or alaska....but there has been a time or two that i really needed more gun while hunting whitetail on the edge of an open field.....and of course in a Mark V.

that is the stuff my dreams are made of.......

the reality is more down to earth......

· Registered
367 Posts
-ROFL- at the thought of my oldest brother (a gun freak) having to figure out and decide on this one.

His tribulation would be like 48 plus on the Richter Scale. -LOL-

As fore me, definitely 308 for the large one, but possibly in a AR type build. (???)

Jury still out on other two.

· Registered
17,528 Posts
.223, 30-06 and being I'm not really a magnum guy i'll go with 45-70. Lots and lots of bullet combos to go with those 3 rounds.

Reactions: deputy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.