National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and you only had time to grab one gun of all you had (assuming you had more than one) which would it be? Which one would you trust your life with the most?? I was discussing it with someone and i thought i would ask you guys. Me....... , I would take my XD 9mm. I shoot better with it.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
If I had to choose a weapon it would have to be my Glock. I would choose my glock for TWO reasons.

1. The people that work hard to keep me safe everyday use a glock. That could only mean one thing. They trust them with their life.

2. I shoot my glock VERY well. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good choice Baldy! I would too if I had one! Whats one of them runnin?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would choose my Taurus pt145. I can shoot about anything I want with this baby. :)

Lord knows the only thing you really need to know about guns is accuracy. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would probably take my Glock 17. I know I can trust it and I'm reasonably accurate with it (still need to train a lot, though :D ).

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Would have to be my Ruger .44 mag and 2 speed loaders. That thing will shoot through anything and kill what's on the other side. I can also drop a deer at 50 yds in case I needed some food. :geek:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
bullinws said:
Good choice Baldy! I would too if I had one! Whats one of them runnin?
Hello Mr Bullinws to answer your question on cost of a 6" Python I have been offered $1,000 :shock: for mine but it's not for sale for 10 times that much. My wife bought it for me our 1st Christmas in 1978. I have seen them as low as $700 and as high as $1,700. I looked for 2 years for 4" model and could fine nothing worth having for less than $900. To rich for my blood. I found a nickel plated 4" Trooper MK III for $350 OTD in a pawn shop and took it. I gave up on the 4" Python. :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I always have a Glock on me already, I'd "grab" my .308 pseudo-Scout. It's a do-everything rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I would grab my XD45 Tactical, it is never far from me. If I had time, the AR-15 would be over one shoulder & the Benelli Super Nove with the 10 round mag extension slung over the other! I keep a bag with ammo for each of these handy. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kansas45 said:
I would grab my XD45 Tactical, it is never far from me. If I had time, the AR-15 would be over one shoulder & the Benelli Super Nove with the 10 round mag extension slung over the other! I keep a bag with ammo for each of these handy. ;)
Is the shotgun for hunting or something? I'm trying to figure out what it can do defensively that the AR couldn't handle.

I think for subsistence hunting I'd rather take a .22 rifle. Ammo's a whole lot lighter and the gun is quieter. Though I think for the weight of a shotgun/rifle and ammo, I'd just grab a dozen MREs.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am i the only one that would grab the AR right away. mine is reliable and its won its fair share of 3gun matches so i trust her.

a great man said.

"if i knew i was going to a gun fight i would have brought a long gun."

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
leeindy said:
Am i the only one that would grab the AR right away. mine is reliable and its won its fair share of 3gun matches so i trust her.

a great man said.

"if i knew i was going to a gun fight i would have brought a long gun."
I'd take a long gun, just not my M4gery. But why does "bugging out" automatically mean a gunfight? 99.9% of the people who "bugged out" of New Orleans didn't get in gunfights. If I didn't know what situation I'd be facing, I'd rather have something more versatile than an M4gery, and my Scout fills that bill.

If Katrina is any guide, though, most people would be far better served with just a pistol, lots of food and all the potable water they can carry. I was on the National Guard detail that assisted the Katrina evacuees who were flown to Phoenix. These people needed food, water and clean clothes way more than they needed guns.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike Barham said:
I'd rather have something more versatile than an M4gery, and my Scout fills that bill.
in my opinion there isnt alot more versatile than a good built ar. ive got both close and far range, good accuracy and good capacity. and ive taken a beer with 223 before. people dont give it the credit it deserves. in fact nothing ive ever shot with 223 walked away

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
leeindy said:
Mike Barham said:
I'd rather have something more versatile than an M4gery, and my Scout fills that bill.
in my opinion there isnt alot more versatile than a good built ar. ive got both close and far range, good accuracy and good capacity. and ive taken a beer with 223 before. people dont give it the credit it deserves. in fact nothing ive ever shot with 223 walked away
Well, if I had to hunt medium game for food (as opposed to small game with a .22, which requires much less energy and is probably the wiser choice), I'd much rather do it with a .308 than a .223. I'd rather not expend the many calories/energy chasing a wounded deer, and .308 is far more likely to put one down quickly than a varmint cartridge. I'm glad you've had good success with .223 on game, but there's a reason most states don't allow it for medium or large game. Where is it legal to hunt bear with a .223?

A Scout with magnified optics and a fine trigger is much easier to hit with at distance than an M4gery, and much more powerful as well. .223 out of a shorter barrel gets very marginal outside 150 yards. The Scout is also much handier to carry versus an M4 with a high sighting plane and various protrusions (long magazine, pistol grip, maybe a VFG).

If it does come to gunfighting, well, a lone man with any rifle isn't going to last long against an armed, organized, determined group of attackers. But the vast majority of opportunistic looter types will break and run at the sight of any weapon, as was shown in LA and NO. If they don't, a well-placed shot or two will make them seek greener pastures. There were no extended shootouts (where a large capacity would be useful) between "bugging out" citizens and looters in NO, which is probably the most relevant example of a "bug out" situation. I think that's more of a fantasy for the "SHTF" or "TEOWAWKI" types.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 308 and .223 are just different tools. The 308 is a better sniping round and it is also a better round when you want more penetration. The .223 is a better general purpose round and its far better when you don't want too much penetration. Inside 100 yards the .223 stopping power will rival the .308's. Also while the .223 does not have as much power at long range. With Mk262 Black Hills ammo it routinely puts people down at 450 to 500 yards.

As for the 9mm vs. the 357 mag. As far as defensive ammunition the two are peas in a pod. Both expanding the same diameters and going the same depths. Now for hunting the 357 mag is clearly better but for self defense no it’s a tie. With the 9mm being better because of the auto vs. revolver argument. As to the handgun being better for home defense. Hardly. Handguns are carried because they are small and light and easy to carry when we are not expecting a fight. They are not carried because they are effective. A .223 carbine or shotgun is far far far better for home defense.
Pat
stole that from my buddy. im not saying the scout is not a good choice. but i prefer 223.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and ive hunted moose in alaska with 223 and did very good. and montana is another state i use 223 in.

o and despite the average occurance its better to be over prepared

ZOMBIES Dude ZOMBIES!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
leeindy said:
and ive hunted moose in alaska with 223 and did very good. and montana is another state i use 223 in.
Wow. I'd never even consider shooting a moose with a .223, but okay. Of course, Inuit subsistence hunters have also been killing very large animals with .22s for years. Not sure that makes it a good idea for anyone else, especially in a survival situation where you may not be able to wait until an ideal shot/circumstance presents itself.

But the idea of killing medium/large game in a "bug out" situation is pretty fantastic, anyway. I am unaware of a time since the Great Depression where hunting for meat was a requirement for the vast majority of Americans - including post-Katrina. And again, if one is forced to hunt, small game with a trap or a .22 seems the most efficient use of energy.

o and despite the average occurance its better to be over prepared
I don't think it's so much overpreparation versus underpreparation. I think it's more like preparing for the most likely situation. We can only look at history as a guide, and history shows us that extended gunfights are highly unlikely (actually, nonexistent). So, given that, I'm not really sure why a less-powerful carbine that is more difficult to shoot well would be preferred.

ZOMBIES Dude ZOMBIES!!!![/size]
Heh heh, yeah, that's what it comes down to. I will point out that the hero in Night of the Living Dead used a lever gun, though, and not an AR. :lol:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike Barham said:
ZOMBIES Dude ZOMBIES!!!![/size]
Heh heh, yeah, that's what it comes down to. I will point out that the hero in Night of the Living Dead used a lever gun, though, and not an AR. :lol:

correction he used a double barreled shotgun. and a chainsaw. the lever gun was only for the very last sequence which was just an add on after thought.

kind of a bruce cambell fan.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
leeindy said:
correction he used a double barreled shotgun. and a chainsaw. the lever gun was only for the very last sequence which was just an add on after thought.

kind of a bruce cambell fan.
Wrong movie, guy. Night of the Living Dead is the original George Romero zombie/horror movie, not the Bruce Campbell comedy.

http://www.imdb.com

1 - 20 of 44 Posts