National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Learning everyday
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would like to build an AR multi cal that is somewhat cheap but reliable with a quad rail on front. Nothing fancy just reliable. Any suggestions on the best places to buy parts? Whether online or near where I live, doesn’t matter to me.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts

·
Learning everyday
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean yeah. Should I get it all in one place or buy from various places?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
You need to know what you are looking for. You also need to decide what you want economy or convenience and balance them out. I talk to people at work who want advice all the time on what to buy and where to buy it. There are so many choices these days. Most people don't know exactly what they want or why they want it.

·
Learning everyday
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thoughts on what I would like

I was leaning away from a polymer lower and more toward a forged lower, which narrows the options significantly. The upper I want multi cal with a quad rail and 1:8 twist.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Go with a forged aluminum lower, like an Anderson. I used PSA for my upper parts. No complaints.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Be sure the upper fits the lower, before you buy. The lowers can be "multi-caliber" but uppers have the chamber and barrel for a specific caliber, so uppers are generally a dedicated caliber.
What you can do, is get seperate uppers, of a different caliber, that all fit the multi caliber lower. 300 Blackout upper and 556 upper with one lower, for instance. The two calibers even use the same mags. This would be with a "multi caliber" lower.

·
Learning everyday
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go with a forged aluminum lower, like an Anderson. I used PSA for my upper parts. No complaints.
I know anderson is pretty good but is there something maybe a bit better.

·
Learning everyday
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be sure the upper fits the lower, before you buy. The lowers can be "multi-caliber" but uppers have the chamber and barrel for a specific caliber, so uppers are generally a dedicated caliber.
What you can do, is get seperate uppers, of a different caliber, that all fit the multi caliber lower. 300 Blackout upper and 556 upper with one lower, for instance. The two calibers even use the same mags. This would be with a "multi caliber" lower.
I would rather just have an upper and lower just for 5.56 and .223. I’ll consider the 300 blackout later.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I would rather just have an upper and lower just for 5.56 and .223. I’ll consider the 300 blackout later.
You mentioned multi-cal then you make this statement. This makes me question if you really know what you want.

You need to know what you want and it appears that you don't. You need to do more research on forged or billet receivers and decide what do you want. It seems that any suggestion is going to be questioned. Almost any 7075-T6 receiver is going to be good enough for most uses. Anything past that and you are going to have to do your own research and decide what your goals are and what you think you need to achieve your build goals.

·
Learning everyday
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mentioned multi-cal then you make this statement. This makes me question if you really know what you want.

You need to know what you want and it appears that you don't. You need to do more research on forged or billet receivers and decide what do you want. It seems that any suggestion is going to be questioned. Almost any 7075-T6 receiver is going to be good enough for most uses. Anything past that and you are going to have to do your own research and decide what your goals are and what you think you need to achieve your build goals.
Multi cal is 5.56 or .223. I don't need anymore than that and as you stated the 7075-t6 receiver will work great and I would still prefer forged.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Multi cal is 5.56 or .223. I don't need anymore than that and as you stated the 7075-t6 receiver will work great and I would still prefer forged.
Get a 556 barrel you can shoot 223 with it but the reverse is not recommended. Don't ask the difference there have been pages written and several threads on here on the topic. I know the Mini14 chambered in 223 can handle thousands of 556 rounds because I've seen it done before bit still not recommended. I never considered a 556 to be multi-cal but I guess it is. My Bushmaster carbine is stamped "CAL.223-5.56MM"

Unless you're looking for special features almost any quality forged mil-spec receiver should do fine just watch your pin sizes.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Or you can get a .223 Wylde barrel and shoot both very accurately. Mine is an 18" SS with 1/7 twist. It is all in what you want to spend. I saw a carbine last week with a custom bull barrel group 3 rounds at a 100 yards virtually in the same hole.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My advice would be to buy your first AR fully assembled and ready for the range. Learn the platform, how to take it apart and clean/ lube it properly. Most importantly on how not to loose all the little springs and indents. Stick with a milspec lower and a upper that can shoot 223/5.56.
It takes special tools to build an upper and they can run into some money.
Don’t be shy of composite lowers they are reinforced at the hard points with metal and can really shed some weight if you like a light and quick handling rifle.

Reactions: Popeye
1 - 15 of 15 Posts