National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I've been looking for another pump gun. Mostly just "because". However, I did want something that can pre-configured for home defense.

My options seem to be the Hawk, Pardner Pump, and Mossberg Maverick. The one I already own is a Mossberg 500, and with the money it would take to modify it for home defense, I'd probably be better off shelling out a little more for a whole new gun. I was wanting to maybe change it up and go with an 870 clone like the Pardner or Hawk, and I believe they're both made by Norinco. Then again, I could go with the Maverick 20 inch and have a "bootleg" 590 more or less, that maintains its 8 round capacity. And again, the main reason I'm doing this is because a Mossberg 500 cannot install an extended tube because of the way the barrel screws on.

So is it that simple? A Maverick 88 20-inch? The other guns seem to have a good track record as well, but perhaps it is worth keeping my guns uniformly Mossberg for the time being...

Anyone? :p

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the Mossberg.

I do not care for Chinese made-for-export products. This shotgun may be a good gun. It may not. Another major series of problems arise with 'rotating' importers who go out of business at the drop of a hat, who do not stock repair parts, who have 'iffy' customer service and who do not stand behind the product.

Reactions: gunzilla

·
Super Moderator
5,826 Posts
Out of the three the Mossberg would be the better shotgun. Which Mossberg 500 do you have? You do know you could easily swap out the barrel? If its more of "you want more capacity"? Then sell the 500 and get the 590. The money you plan on spending and the money you get from the 500 will be enough to pick up a 590.

·
Awesome
800 Posts
Mossy

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
maverick.............

·
Banned
227 Posts
mossberg.if its good enough for the troops, its good enough for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... I do really think I'm starting to lean towards the Mossberg now...

Popeye, do you know the "technical" differences between the 500 Tactical and the 590 series? I guess the 590's are "mil-spec". But as far as I know, the main difference is the barrel-locking mechanism allowing for an extended tube? Is the 500 tactical just a "less tough" 590 series more or less? I'm talking more about that barrel-locking system and whatnot.

Also, Mossberg lists the Maverick 88 Security 20" w/ extended tube at 6 capacity, but shouldn't it be 8 with 2 3-4" shells? That's a bigger factor than anything for me, really. That is, since this gun is going to be single-purpose for defense. I'm not exactly much of a shotgunner, so these questions probably seem a little silly lol. Thanks for your help so far you guys. :wink:

·
Awesome
800 Posts
The 590s are nice. The main difference between the 590 and 500 is the capacity, usually the finish, and the 590 has a bayonet lug. A shotgun just isn't awesome without a bayonet!

Most 590s have what they call a "Matte" finish. To me it appears to be the same Parkerized finish on the 590A1, but I could be wrong though. A 20in 500 will hold 7+1 of 2 3/4 shells, the 590 holds 8+1

The 500 is like a Lego gun, you can make all the changes you want to it and go with many different barrels if you so choose. The 590 has one purpose. It's a Defensive/Tactical shotgun.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
the 590 series have a slightly heavier barrel........and also a different type of magazine in that you can actually remove the inards from the mag cap end to replace the spring, follower, or to clean it out......

riot guns for most folks tend to not be shot often and not get hard usage like military guns.......even those vaunted remington 870's that have been in police inventories and cruisers for decades probably don't see 20 rounds a year thru them.......dang few folks practice hard and heavy with a 12 ga riot..

that said......i still prefer the elevator system of the mossberg. ithaca, or old High Standard over the mouse trap spring system of remingtons, winchesters, and such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts